What If Ice Falls From My Roof and Hurts Someone?

(Get your answer from an expert)

Ask an Insurance Expert graphic

Q: What If Ice Falls From My Roof and Hurts Someone? Will my homeowner's or business insurance cover damages?

With all of the snow and ice we’ve been dealing with this winter, icicles keep forming on both my house and the outside of my business. I try to knock them down as frequently as possible, but I’m still worried that I won’t get to them in time and one might fall and injure someone. If that happens, will my home insurance cover the liability costs?

A: In the case of your home, yes. You can expect that the premises liability coverage included in your homeowner's insurance policy will protect you from potential lawsuits if someone is injured by ice while on your property. Because this coverage is included with all home insurance policies, you can rest assured that as long as you are up-to-date with your premiums, you are covered. 

In the case of your business, it depends on what is included in your business insurance policy. Unlike homeowner's insurance, these policies are not standard. This enables businesses to build policies that make sense for their company’s particular needs. If you specifically purchased premises liability coverage as part of your business insurance plan, you are covered. 

Our independent agents are well aware of the risks faced by business owners, so if you worked with one of these agents when you purchased your business policy, you are very likely covered.

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn

TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Paul Martin

©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.