How Do I Know If I Need Flood Insurance?

(Get your answers from an expert and find the coverage you need.)
Ask an Insurance Expert graphic

Q: How do I know if I need flood insurance?

A: Federal law requires that homeowners in high-risk areas carry flood insurance. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) created a flood zone map where homeowners can search for their flood risk by address. This map is called the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM). For the most accurate answer regarding whether you're located in a flood zone, it's best to download the FIRM map for your community

Keep in mind that even if you aren't federally required to purchase flood insurance, it might be a good idea. If you're on the fence about whether to purchase flood insurance, an independent agent can help. They'll explain policy options and coverage to help you make an informed choice for your location and risk.

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn