9-and-3, 24/7. Full stops, no rollies. You’re a good driver. No, you’re a GREAT driver. And you deserve a nice reward for doing your part to keep our roads safe. That’s why good driver discounts were created.
Our independent insurance agents know all about them. And they’ll help you find out if you qualify and save you some nice money in the process. And if you don’t qualify, they’ll give you some pointers to help steer you in the right direction for some future savings. But first, let’s talk a little about good driver discounts. So buckle up and check your mirrors for blind spots.
What Are Good Driver Discounts?
It’s simple: The longer you’ve gone without an accident or ticket, the more discounted your insurance is likely to be. Some good driver discounts are automatic and your insurer won’t tell you you’re getting a discount, but your premiums will slowly drop over time.
Many insurance companies also offer clear-cut good driver discounts for qualifying drivers. They’ll lower your premiums by a certain percentage or dollar amount as long as you keep up the good work. So, high-five.
What Good Driver Discounts Are Available?
There are a number of good driver discounts out there, which typically fall into two categories:
- Driving habits discounts: These are based on GPS trackers the insurance company offers to install in your car. They’ll track how, when and where you drive. If you’re a low-risk driver (i.e., never pushes the speed limit, drives in uncongested areas during the day), your premiums will drop.
- Driving record discounts: These are what most people think of when they think good driver discounts. They’re based on your record of tickets and accidents over time. The longer you go with a squeaky-clean slate, the more of these you’ll qualify for.
How Hard Is It to Get Good Driver Discounts?
Only as hard as it is to be a good driver. Sorry, lead foot. But it never hurts to ask if you qualify, the bar could be lower than you think. The result could be massive savings on your car insurance. Good luck.
How Do I Get a Good Driver Discount?
Just maintain a solid driving record (or be willing to install a GPS tracker), say please, and it’s yours. Okay, maybe not that easy…but pretty close. Good driver discounts are one of the simplest, and best, car insurance discounts available. Here’s a brief walk-through to guide you through the process.
- Have a heart-to-heart with an agent: If you’ve gone two years or more without a major ticket or accident, it’s time to ask about a discount. (Ditto if you’re willing to give the GPS tracker a shot.) Your agent will then do the legwork to figure out if you qualify or not. You just sit tight.
- Compare wisely: If you qualify, your agent can help you get the discount at your current insurance company. They might also provide you with new quotes. If they do, don’t go for the cheapest option automatically—mid-range options could offer more discounts and better coverage also.
- Celebrate—or bide your time: If you didn’t land a good driver discount this time around, there’s always next year. Unlike many other discounts, this one’s really simple to apply for and get as long as you keep your nose clean. Best of luck!
The Benefits of an Independent Insurance Agent
Congrats, now you know how discounts work. But your time is valuable, so why spend it sweating your car insurance? Our independent insurance agents stay on top of the industry and all the latest discounts so you don’t have to. That means they’ll help you find the right coverage for you at the right price.
And if you ever get in a pickle and need to make a claim, they’ll help you meet deadlines and ensure you’re getting all the benefits you’re entitled to. And that’s what makes a good driver a smart good driver.