Finding the right coverage
The Chevrolet Sonic was introduced in 2012 and has become a popular choice for drivers looking for an affordable subcompact. The Sonic gets excellent safety ratings, is easy on gas, is loaded with tech options, and is fun to drive.
If you are a Sonic owner, or are thinking about buying one, an independent insurance agent can make sure that your brand-new ride is fully protected. These agents can find a Sonic car insurance policy that offers all of the coverage you need at a very affordable price.
What Type of Insurance Do You Need for Your Chevy Sonic?
You have a variety of options when it comes to insuring your Chevy Sonic. Some types of insurance coverage are optional, while others will require a minimum amount purchased depending on the state you live in.
The following coverages are usually mandated:
- Bodily injury liability: Any accident that causes injury to passengers, pedestrians, or other drivers is covered by bodily injury liability. This will pay for everything from accident-related medical expenses to lost wages.
- Property damage liability: While bodily injury liability covers people, property damage liability covers any property that is damaged in an accident where you or someone who is authorized is driving your vehicle. It will pay to replace or repair Other vehicles and structures, but it will not repair or replace your vehicle.
- Medical payments/Personal injury protection: If liability insurance protects third parties, what is protecting you? If you're injured in an accident, your medical payments or personal injury protection (PIP) coverage will pay some of the medical bills that are associated with the accident. PIP insurance is available in "no-fault" states and required in other states. You'll be able to purchase medical payments insurance everywhere else.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage: Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage pays for damage to your vehicle if the other party does not have enough insurance coverage. Even in states where coverage is mandatory, many still drive without insurance or without sufficient insurance to pay for damage if they're in an at-fault accident.
- Collision: If you collide with another person's property, like a mailbox or parked vehicle, without collision coverage, you will be responsible for the damage out of pocket. Collision insurance will help pay for the expense, so you don't have to.
- Comprehensive: Even if you're not driving your Chevy Sonic, it's still at risk. What if a storm comes through and damages your roof? Or a fire burns part of your vehicle? For incidents that are out of your control and aren't covered under collision, comprehensive coverage steps in.
- Glass coverage: Most windshield replacements are not worth going through your insurance, but still involve a hefty out-of-pocket cost. Instead of paying that cost yourself, you could have your windshield replaced with zero-deductible glass coverage. This policy endorsement is inexpensive and may only cost you a few extra dollars per year.
- Gap insurance: If you are financing or leasing your Chevy Sonic, then you will want to consider purchasing gap coverage. This insurance is an endorsement that you add to your policy that pays the difference between your car's value and the amount owed to the financing company. If you're in an accident and your vehicle is a total loss, gap insurance will pay the remaining amount owed on your loan. Without gap insurance, you'll be responsible for paying the difference yourself.
What Factors Affect the Cost of Insurance for Your Chevy Sonic?
The average male drives around 16,000 miles a year, and females around 10,000. If you drive significantly more than this, your car insurance premium could go up. Ultimately, the more you're on the road, the more chances you have of getting in an accident, making you a higher risk for insurance.
Having a clean record means you'll get to enjoy lower car insurance premiums. While most violations can fall off your record after a certain amount of time, having even one can negatively impact your rates. An independent insurance agent can advise you on when any former accidents or traffic violations will fall off and stop affecting your rates.
The Value of Your Car
A brand-new Chevy Sonic ranges from $16,000 to $21,000. If you're willing to drop to an older model, you're looking more in the $10,000-$15,000 range. As the value of your vehicle decreases, so do the average insurance premiums. As a result, insuring a vehicle that's a few years old could mean you'll pay premiums that are a bit lower.
|Average Chevy Sonic Prices|
|2018||$10,700 - $14,100|
|2017||$9,600 - $12,375|
|2016||$7,705 - $11,025|
The Safety of Your Chevy Sonic
Insurers take into consideration the safety ratings and features of your vehicle when determining your insurance premiums. The 2020 Chevy Sonic received an impressive overall five-star rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gave the vehicle a "good" rating across the board, which is the Institute's highest designation, making it an excellent choice for safety. However, the Sonic didn’t always score high when it comes to safety. When it was introduced in 2012, it received low ratings, and didn’t even manage a “Good” rating in the small overlap front test until 2015, when the doorsill and hinge pillar were modified to improve passenger protection.
Where You Live with Your Chevy Sonic
If you live in a populated city, you're more prone to incidents that will lead to a claim. This includes driving busier roads, encountering traffic, theft, and vandalism. Drivers in small towns are much less likely to experience the same risks.
Average Cost to Insure a Chevy Sonic
The average annual cost to insure a Chevy Sonic is $1,386, making it a relatively affordable car to insure. Those costs could go up or down. depending on whether you're a high-risk driver or are willing to take a higher deductible.
What Is the Average Cost to Insure a Chevy Sonic?
|Average Annual Cost to Insure a Chevy Sonic||$1,386|
Which States Are Most and Lease Affordable for Car Insurance?
Estimated annual Chevy Sonic insurance premiums in the United States:
|Most Expensive States:|
|Most Affordable States:|
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Top Insurance Carriers That Insure the Chevy Sonic
According to a recent U.S. Independent Insurance Agent Satisfaction Study by J.D. Power, the following companies provide excellent service to their insurance customers:
- Auto-Owners Insurance
- State Farm
Where to Find Car Insurance for the Chevy Sonic
If you already own a Chevy Sonic or are shopping for one, an independent insurance agent can help you find the perfect policy.
These agents will do all of the legwork for you, gathering quotes, advising you on the various coverages available for your Chevy Sonic, and making sure you are getting all of the discounts you are qualified to receive.
Reach out to a TrustedChoice.com agent today to get a quote for insurance on your Chevy Sonic. An independent insurance agent can shop dozens of insurance companies and help you get the right type of auto insurance.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.
IIHS, Consumer Reports, Quote Inspector, iii.org, JD Power, Car and Driver