You have been searching for a vehicle to transport your expanding family and the Honda Odyssey, with its fuel-efficient V6 engine, quiet cabin, configurable second-row seat, easy-to-fold third-row seat, and top crash test scores, has caught your attention. Now all you need is to find the proper car insurance.
Not sure where to look for an independent insurance agent in your area?
Click on this find-an-agent-tool to get matched with a local independent insurance agent who will walk you through your options and help you find the best possible coverage for your Honda Odyssey.
What Is the Best Type of Insurance for the Honda Odyssey?
Bodily Injury Liability
Bodily injury liability insurance handles medical bills and lost wages for any third party that is injured if you are in an at-fault accident in your Honda Odyssey. It will not pay for your personal injuries.
Property Damage Liability
If you're in an accident with someone else's vehicle, building, or home, then a property damage liability policy will help repair or replace any damaged property.
Most states require a minimum amount of bodily injury and property damage liability. It's possible that your states' required minimum for liability insurance is not enough to protect you if you experience an incident. Make sure to speak with your independent insurance agent to understand how much liability insurance you need to be fully protected.
Medical Payments/Personal Injury Protection
In some states, medical payments or personal injury protection (PIP) coverage may be required. Currently, the following states have mandated PIP coverage:
- Maryland (unless a waiver is signed at initial purchase of the policy)
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Dakota
Every state has its own rules about which type of insurance you can buy and how much you must carry. If you are in an accident, this helps pay the bills associated with physical recovery for you and your passengers.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage
Even though it is illegal to drive without insurance in most states in the US, many drivers still hit the road without insurance. If you're in an accident with an uninsured motorist, you'll end up paying for damage and injuries yourself. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage offers a layer of protection that helps pay for repairs if you are in an accident with someone who doesn't have the right types are amounts of insurance.
- Collision: Collision insurance covers any damage to your car caused by colliding with another vehicle and objects like light poles and trees. Whether you're at fault or not, collision coverage will repair or replace your vehicle up to the policy limits. This insurance may not be worth it if your car is older and has a lower replacement value. Your agent can help you weigh the pros and cons of having collision insurance for your Honda Odyssey.
- Comprehensive: For everything that isn't covered under collision insurance, like hitting a deer, vandalism, or your car getting damaged by mother nature, comprehensive insurance pays to repair or replace your vehicle.
- Glass coverage: Replacing the windshield on your Honda Odyssey can cost anywhere from $200 to 450. A zero-deductible glass coverage policy makes it easy to replace broken glass without having to pay out of pocket for those repairs.
- Gap insurance: If you have a loan or lease on your Honda Odyssey, you may owe more than the market value of the vehicle. Gap insurance covers the difference between the amount your insurance company will pay if your car is totaled and the amount you owe to a bank or lease company. If you purchase a brand-new Honda Odyssey, you will have the option to purchase gap insurance from the dealer. If not, you can still add this important coverage to your auto insurance with help from your agent.
What Affects the Cost of Insurance for Your Honda Odyssey?
- Annual mileage: If you put more than 10,000 to 15,000 miles per year on your car you may pay slightly higher insurance premiums. This is above the national average and could flag your insurance with a higher risk of filing a claim.
- Your driving record: A clean record can save you more than 50% on the car insurance premium for your Honda Odyssey.
- The value of your vehicle: Vehicles with a high value are more expensive to repair and replace after an accident. Your agent can help you understand how your vehicle's value affects your insurance costs.
|Here's How Your Trim Level May Affect Your Insurance rates:||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Honda Odyssey EX||$1,254||$105|
|Honda Odyssey LX||$1,222||$102|
|Honda Odyssey EX w/Rear Entertainment||$1,296||$108|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L||$1,386||$116|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L w/Rear Entertainment||$1,386||$116|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L w/Navigation||$1,432||$119|
|Honda Odyssey Touring||$1,478||$123|
Average Honda Odyssey Insurance Costs
On average, full coverage auto insurance for Honda Odyssey owners is $1,342 a year, which breaks down to around $111 a month. However, a high-risk driver is looking at paying around $2,900 a year, and teens will pay even more at $5,010 a year. If you're willing to snag a higher deductible, your rates will drop slightly to around $1,158 annually.
Here's how Honda Odyssey premiums change for younger vs. older drivers:
|Honda Odyssey Rates by Age with Full Coverage and a $500 Deductible|
The Safety of Your Honda Odyssey
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) both gave the Honda Odyssey high rankings in their overall crash tests. The NHTSA gave the Odyssey five-out-five in all tests except the rollover test in the 2wd, which received four-out-of-five stars. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the Honda Odyssey performed exceptionally well in avoiding accidents and keeping occupants free from injury. The IIHS gave the vehicle an overall "good" rating, which is the company's highest ranking.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Location Affects Your Honda Odyssey Insurance
Where you live is a major factor in how much you pay for auto insurance. For this reason, it's crucial to get a personalized quote from your agent.
Which States Are the Most and Least Affordable for Car Insurance?
Estimated annual Honda Odyssey insurance premiums in the United States:
|Most Expensive States:||Annual Premium|
|Most Affordable States:||Annual Premium|
Top Insurance Carriers That Insure the Honda Odyssey
According to the Insurance Information Institute, the companies that offer the best car insurance for the Honda Odyssey are the ones with the highest market share. This includes:
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
Where to Find Car Insurance for Your Honda Odyssey
If the Honda Odyssey is the minivan that fits your life, it's time to find the right insurance policy for your vehicle. Knowledgeable, independent insurance agents are always available to answer any questions you may have about your Honda Odyssey insurance options.
These experienced agents can assist you by finding a variety of quotes from a number of different insurance companies, allowing you to choose the policy with the best coverage at the lowest rates. Contact a Trusted Choice agent today to find out more.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.
IIHS, Consumer Reports, Quote Inspector, iii.org, JD Power, Car and Driver