COPIC at a Glance
- COPIC Insurance Company is a leading provider of medical professional liability insurance
- The company recognized for its industry-leading patient safety and risk management programs
- Markets its products in twelve states in the Midwest and Rocky Mountain regions
- Since its founding in 1981, COPIC has grown to serve more than 12,000 physicians and more than 150 medical facilities and hospitals
- Marketed through a network of independent insurance agents
COPIC pros: COPIC is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau. Products are sold through independent insurance agents. COPIC offers a robust suite of products and exceptional resources for its customers, including risk management and legal hotlines. The company is dedicated to improving the practice of medicine and minimizing the risks for its customers.
COPIC cons: COPIC is not a BBB accredited business. AM Best rating is not available.
What Type of Insurance Does COPIC Offer?
COPIC offers medical liability insurance for healthcare professionals, including the following.
- Medical providers
- Group practices
- Health care facilities
COPIC’s products are marketed through independent insurance agents. You can learn more about the company’s products by contacting a local agent in its service area.
You can also use our national independent agent company directory to find the best insurance companies to meet your needs. Locate companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs and get connected to an agent near you.
What to Know about COPIC
COPIC was founded by Colorado physicians in 1981 to address a medical liability crisis as premium rates were skyrocketing and major insurers were leaving the state. From the beginning, the company embraced ideals to ensure a stable medical liability environment, utilize a physician-directed approach, and put the interests of improving health care first.
COPIC is committed to improving medical outcomes and invests in education, risk management programs, patient safety initiatives, and other resources. The company’s goal is to support medical professionals and help them deliver the best patient care possible.
Today, COPIC is recognized as a trusted partner for physicians, medical professionals, group practices, health care facilities, and hospitals. The carrier provides coverage in multiple states in the Midwest and Rocky Mountain regions.
What Discounts Does COPIC Offer?
COPIC offers several discounts or cost-saving programs for its customers. These include the following.
- Deductible program
- Loss-free discount
- Part-time discount
- New physician discount (as high as 80%)
- Facility profit sharing/physician distribution
State regulations and legal environments may limit the scope of availability of certain discount programs. Your independent insurance agent can help you learn more about savings opportunities from COPIC or other insurance carriers.
COPIC Customer Service
Here's what to know about COPIC’s customer service options.
- Online, password-protected service center
- Email inquiries
- Incident reporting by phone, Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm MST
- Customer service by phone is restricted to the following hours
|Monday-Friday||8:00 am - 5:00 pm|
Find The Right Company Today.
Shopping for a company? We have the right one for you.
What is COPIC’s average claims response time frame?
COPIC does not publish information about its average claims response time.
What is COPIC’s customer service availability?
COPIC provides numerous customer service options for its customers. In addition to phone service during regular business hours, policyholders can also log on to an online service center.
What’s more, COPIC offers the following resources for its customers.
- Report an incident by contacting a COPIC occurrence specialist nurse during business hours, Monday through Friday.
- Report an occurrence by logging into the online service center.
- 24/7 risk management hotline is available for urgent, after hours guidance.
- Legal helpline provides support on issues where medical and legal elements intersect. COPIC’s legal department is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm MST.
What is COPIC’s claims process?
Occurrences can be reported online or by phone. No other details are provided about COPIC’s customer service process.
Does COPIC create a user-friendly experience for customers?
COPIC has a robust website with a lot of information and resources for its customers. The website provides information about products and coverage options, extra resources, general information, and numerous service and support options.
Does COPIC have good medical liability insurance?
COPIC offers comprehensive policies for physicians, allied health professionals, group practices, and medical facilities/hospitals. Policies may include embedded cyber liability coverage and the ability to increase limits of liability.
COPIC’s policies include defense cost coverage for governmental investigations, medical board inquires, disciplinary proceedings, and billing fraud and abuse investigations. They also offer free tail coverage upon retirement (for those insured by COPIC with individual limits 12 months prior to retirement and covered with individual limits for the four years before that with a professional liability carrier).
COPIC’s customers may also be eligible for a wide range of premium credit and discount programs.
Is COPIC a good insurance company?
COPIC offers good quality medical liability insurance for healthcare professionals in the Midwest and Rocky Mountain regions. In addition to liability coverage, the company offers numerous additional resources that help its customers navigate the complexities of health care.
- COPIC develops “best practices” that are used with in-person, onsite reviews to help the health care community improve patient care.
- COPIC is a trusted and convenient source for professional medical education. The company offers ongoing education that has earned it the highest accreditation status from the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). COPIC is also accredited as a provider of Continuing Nursing Education (CNE).
- COPIC’s nationally recognized 3Rs Program addresses patients’ needs after unanticipated outcomes. 3Rs is a benchmark in communication/resolution programs, and encourages honest, open dialogue between providers and patients.
- COPIC is dedicated to state-level advocacy that supports the practice of good medicine; this includes monitoring legislative and regulatory activities that may impact health care, as well as keeping legislators informed on key issues.
COPIC’s goal is to support physicians at all stages of their careers—from medical residency coverage to volunteer coverage for retired physicians.
COPIC Customer Reviews
COPIC's customer reviews seem to be mostly "star reviews" with minimal narrative reviews about a particular incident or area of service.
TrustedChoice.com's Final Review
We award COPIC a final rating of 3.0 out of 5 stars. The company offers a lot of information and resources for its customers. It is dedicated to bettering the healthcare community and making the practice of medicine easier and less risky for its customers.
COPIC offers a variety of service options. It also offers a 24/7 risk management hotline for urgent guidance, as well as a legal helpline that is available during business hours.
Customers report both positive and negative experiences with the carrier, but reviews and ratings are mostly positive. While COPIC is an excellent choice for medical professional liability insurance, it might not be for everyone. That’s why its best to explore your options, including COPIC, with the help of a local independent insurance agent.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.