ProAssurance at a Glance
- Operates in 50 states and the District of Columbia
- ProAssurance Group is a specialty writer of professional liability insurance, and the fourth largest writer of medical professional liability insurance in America
- ProAssurance Group is rated “A” (Excellent) by AM Best
- Over 40 years of experience serving physicians and other healthcare professionals
ProAssurance pros: ProAssurance Group has been recognized as a Ward’s 50 Top Performer (out of nearly 3,000 property and casualty insurance companies). This acknowledgment highlights ProAssurance’s commitment to safety, consistency, and management excellence. The company specializes in serving physicians and other healthcare professionals. Works with a network of independent insurance agents.
ProAssurance cons: Claims can only be submitted to ProAssurance via phone or email. The company does not offer extended customer service hours.
What Type of Insurance Does ProAssurance Offer?
ProAssurance provides a single-source solution for healthcare liability insurance. The insurance company offers professional liability insurance, legal liability insurance, and workers’ compensation insurance for the following providers.
- Healthcare systems, hospitals, and clinics
- Physicians including podiatry, dental, and chiropractic specialties
- Small facilities and allied professionals
- Other healthcare liability insurance and services
An independent insurance agent can help you learn more about the products offered by ProAssurance, and help you determine if they’re right for you.
Using our insurance company directory can help you find the best insurance companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs. The company directory can also help you get connected to an agent near you.
What to Know about ProAssurance
Mutual Assurance was formed by a group of physicians in Alabama in 1976. Its goal was to fill the void left after a key liability insurance carrier left the market.
In 1985, Mutual Assurance became the first physician-founded company to insure hospitals and facilities. Six years later, it demutualized to become a publicly traded stock company. In 1995, the company was renamed MAIC Holdings to reflect its growing number of subsidiaries and scope of operations. Two years later, MAIC was renamed Medical Assurance, Inc.
In 2001, Medical Assurance merged with a company called Professionals Group to form ProAssurance Corporation. Since then, ProAssurance has made a number of acquisitions and expanded into multiple lines of insurance coverage.
ProAssurance Group is rated “A+” (Superior) by AM Best. The company has also been recognized as a Ward’s Top 50 Performer every year since 2007.
At the end of 2017, ProAssurance Corp. held approximately $4.9 billion in assets. The company wrote $764 million in net premium in 2017.
What Discounts Does ProAssurance Offer?
ProAssurance does not make available information about its specific discounts or reward programs.
An independent insurance agent can help you find discounts and savings opportunities from any carrier.
ProAssurance Customer Service
Here’s what you need to know about ProAssurance’s customer service options.
- Phone, email, and regular mail contact options
- Social media contact via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Online service center to make a payment, download forms, report a claim, or apply for coverage
- Customer service department has the following hours restrictions
|Hours (ALL TIME ZONES)|
|Monday-Friday||8:00 am - 5:00 pm|
Find The Right Company Today.
Shopping for a company? We have the right one for you.
What is ProAssurance’s average claim response time frame?
ProAssurance does not publish an average claim response time frame.
What is ProAssurance’s customer service availability?
ProAssurance offers customer service by phone Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, in all time zones depending on the local office that you are calling. Customers can also reach the insurance company by phone, fax, email, and via social media. Customers can also access an online service center to make a payment, download forms, report a claim, or apply for coverage.
What is ProAssurance’s claims process?
ProAssurance encourages customers to report a claim or incident as soon as possible.
Contact ProAssurance immediately if the following occurs.
- You are served with legal papers naming you as a defendant or potential defendant
- A patient or patient's relative contacts you for compensation or threatens legal action
- You are contacted by an attorney or hospital for information
- You suspect an incident may result in legal action
The Claims Intake Hotline can be called toll-free, or you can email the Claims Intake department. If you’re ready to file a claim, you should be prepared to provide the following information.
- Patient or claimant name and date of birth
- Documents outlining the allegations, dates of alleged negligence, request for appearance, or subpoena
- Date the documents were received by the insured and how they were received
- A copy of the patient’s medical records, if available
- The name and address of a contact person at your practice, and the best time to reach that individual
Does ProAssurance create a user-friendly experience for customers?
ProAssurance’s official website provides a lot of information and resources. Customer service is available 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, allowing for plenty of time for customers to get the answers they need. Customers can also message the company via social media or by email. There is an online service center, but claims must be initiated by phone or email.
Does ProAssurance have good physician medical malpractice insurance?
Depending on the size of your group and other important factors, your medical professional liability insurance can take many different approaches. ProAssurance offers a variety of traditional approaches, risk sharing programs, alternative risk programs, and more.
- Traditional approaches: Many small-group physicians favor first-dollar coverage or deductible options. Some physician’s circumstances require excess and surplus lines coverage. Traditional approaches provide you with a variety of choices.
- Risk sharing programs: Large group options present the opportunity to share risk and rewards for good outcomes according to the level of risk you assume.
- Alternative risk programs: Very large physician groups may want to consider a turnkey captive solution, or may desire other types of financing solutions and alternative risk transfers.
ProAssurance offers claims-made policies with automatic tail coverage for death or disability. Its policyholders receive tail coverage at full retirement if they have five years of continuous coverage.
Is ProAssurance a good insurance company?
ProAssurance has decades of experience in healthcare professional liability insurance. It has a high rating from AM Best and has been recognized as a Ward’s Top 50 Performer for numerous years. The company brings decades of expertise to the table, and offers a variety of policy options and funding arrangements to fit the needs or different types of practices and groups.
ProAssurance also receives high customer satisfaction ratings. Overall, ProAssurance can be considered a good insurance company.
ProAssurance Customer Reviews
|“Awesome folks. They are there for you when really need them. Immense resources, risk management, and knowledgeable staff.”|
TrustedChoice.com's Final Review
We award ProAssurance a final rating of 3.0 out of 5 stars. To begin with, ProAssurance was founded by doctors and has decades of experience in the medical liability insurance industry. Its high ratings from AM Best speak to its unquestionable financial strength, one of the most important factors in choosing any insurance company.
The company offers flexible policies and funding arrangements depending on the need of the provider group or facility. It’s been named one of Ward’s Top 50 performers every year since 2007. ProAssurance is also very highly rated by its customers. Some negatives that we can report include a lack of information about claims processing and a lack of extended customer service hours.
While ProAssurance is an excellent choice for medical professional liability insurance, it might not be for everyone. That’s why its best to explore your options, including ProAssurance, with the help of a local independent insurance agent.
You can also use our national independent agent carrier directory to find the best insurance companies to meet your needs. Locate companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs and get connected to an agent near you.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.