Selective Insurance Company at a Glance
- Founded in 1926
- Coverage available in 27 states
- Offers a wide range of coverages
- Offers coverage for individuals and businesses
- “A” (excellent) rating by A.M. Best
- “A+” (excellent) rating by Better Business Bureau
- Wide network of independent insurance agents
- Multiple discounts offered
- Strong financial stability
- Good customer feedback
- 24/7 claims reporting
Selective Pros: Well-established carrier with more nearly a century’s worth of experience in the insurance industry. Provides a wide range of coverage options for individuals and businesses including home insurance, auto insurance, cyber liability insurance, and more. High ratings through A.M. Best and the BBB. High volume of customer satisfaction. Offers 24/7 claims reporting. Offers online claims reporting and bill pay. Mobile app available. Several discounts available. Strong financial stability.
Selective Cons: Not a BBB accredited company. Coverage not available in every state.
What Type of Insurance Does Selective Offer?
Selective offers a wide range of coverages for individuals and businesses. Their products include:
- Homeowners insurance
- Auto insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Flood insurance
- Business owners policies
- Cyber liability insurance
- Product recall insurance
- Management liability insurance
- Errors & omissions insurance
- Commercial flood insurance
If you’re in the market for any of these insurance solutions, ask your independent insurance agent about looking into Selective. Independent insurance agents work hard to get you the most bang out of your buck on coverage.
What to Know about Selective
Selective Insurance was founded in 1926, giving the carrier near a century’s worth of experience in the insurance industry. The insurance company was originally formed in New Jersey, with a mission to provide a local experience with more affordable rates and better services for customers. Selective has expanded their catalogue to cater to individuals and businesses, now offering homeowners insurance, auto insurance, cyber liability insurance, flood insurance, and more.
Currently Selective offers its coverage in 27 states across the country. The insurance company’s LinkedIn profile states that they currently have between 1,001-5,000 employees, with more than 2,200 of them found on the social media platform. Selective works with a large network of independent insurance agents, which help to match customers with the coverage they need through a more personalized, comprehensive experience. The carrier is ranked in the $1.5-$2 billion financial size category by A.M. Best.
Thanks to its long-standing history, large catalogue of insurance products, and financial strength, Selective has earned itself a reputation as a stable insurance provider with a positive outlook for the future. A.M. Best, the leading global credit rating agency monitoring the insurance industry, gives Selective an “A” rating, indicating the carrier is an excellent choice for insurance customers. A high rating from A.M. Best assures customers that Selective is capable of offering guaranteed, secure coverage from a trustworthy and reputable carrier.
Established in 1899, A.M. Best is one of the oldest rating companies in the world. Reviews from A.M. Best indicate an insurance company’s financial strength and creditworthiness, and are based on comprehensive evaluations of the company’s operating performance, business profile, and balance sheet. For customers who aren’t as familiar with insurance companies’ respective reputations, A.M. Best’s ratings system allows them to make an informed decision about who they can trust to meet their needs in the short term, and also who will remain a strong, financially sound company in the long term.
What Discounts Does Selective Offer?
Selective insurance offers several competitive discounts for their customers, especially on their auto insurance, including:
- Advanced quote discount: This is offered to customers who were quoted on their coverage at least eight days in advance of their renewal.
- Commercial vehicle discount: This is offered to customers who own a commercial vehicle that they keep at home.
- Defensive driver discount: This is offered to customers who complete an approved defensive driving course.
- Safety/anti-theft discount: This is offered to customers with vehicles that have qualifying safety features such as alarms.
- Timely bill pay discount: This is offered to customers who consistently pay their insurance bill on time.
Your independent insurance agent can help you find further information on discounts offered by Selective and other ways to save through the insurance company, helping you to find the coverage you need at the rate you deserve.
Selective Customer Service
Selective allows customers to file claims over the phone or online, any time of the week. The carrier also provides the following customer service options:
- 24/7 claims reporting via phone or online
- 24/7 bill pay via phone option
- Mobile app available
- Fax contact option
- Email contact option
- Snail mail contact option
- Main customer service hotline has the following hours restrictions:
|Monday-Friday||8 am - 11 pm|
|Saturday||8 am - 8 pm|
Selective sells insurance through a large network of independent insurance agents. Independent insurance agents can help make customer service easier for you by handling claims and other concerns.
What is Selective's average claim response time frame?
Selective offers 24/7 claims reporting for their customers, via phone or through the official website. However, they do not have an official claims response time frame promise.
What is Selective's customer service availability?
Selective’s claims reporting hotline and bill pay hotline are available for customers 24/7. Their customer service hotline is available at generous hours, Monday-Saturday. The carrier also has a social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, making them more even accessible to customers.
What is Selective's claims process?
Selective provides several options for customers to file their claims. Customers can file via phone, fax, regular mail, online, or through the mobile app. The official website breaks down their claims process in detail, as follows:
- “Your claim is entered into Selective’s claims system and assigned to a claims professional.
- The claims professional will review basic claim information including the facts of the loss, loss location and coverage information for an initial assessment of the claim.
- The claims professional will contact you, usually within 24 business hours, if additional information is needed to process your claim. Your cooperation is vital for the claims professional to accurately assess the accident and damages and to determine if the claim is covered by Selective’s policy.
- The claims professional may request that you provide him or her with a recorded interview to outline the facts of what happened. This may be in person or over the phone. The recorded interview is a way to capture the details surrounding the loss in your own words.
- Because each claim is unique in regard to type, damage, injuries and facts, the claim professional needs to conduct a full investigation surrounding the loss. This may include:
- Inspection of property damage, whether by someone from Selective or by an outside party.
- Completion of certain documents, information, signed affidavits or paperwork.
- Conversations with organizations like case management firms who work on behalf of Selective to gather crucial information and assist in managing injuries .
- Meeting with you in person.
- The claims professional can also outline any “next steps” for each of you.
- If there was injury or damage to property of others as a result of the claim, the claims professional may need additional information related to the accident. Please cooperate with the claims professional by providing whatever details are requested so that Selective can thoroughly investigate and evaluate the claim.
- Once the investigation is complete, the claims professional will evaluate all the details surrounding the loss. Upon completion of the claim evaluation, Selective will send you a letter explaining whether or not the claim qualifies for coverage under the policy and, if so, the type and amount of coverage available.
- Should you be sued by someone else in relation to an accident (even if you do not feel you were at fault or do not feel you were involved), it is imperative that you send the lawsuit immediately to the claims professional handling your case. If you receive these papers and have not yet filed a claim with Selective, it is still imperative that these papers be turned over immediately to your agent, or to the Claims Service Center. Your claim will be forwarded to a Litigation Specialist for handling. That representative will then conduct an investigation to determine if you qualify for coverage under the policy you purchased from Selective.”
Customers can keep in touch with their independent insurance agent, call the carrier, or check the mobile app or official website to stay updated on a claim’s progress after filing.
Does Selective create a user-friendly experience for customers?
Selective’s official website is very well done. The layout is highly intuitive and easy to navigate, and pages are detailed enough to provide satisfactory information for customers. Customer service options such as getting matched with an agent, online claims filing, and online bill pay are available. Selective offers 24/7 claims reporting through multiple mediums. The carrier also has an active social media presence. Overall, Selective provides a highly user-friendly experience for insurance customers of all kinds.
Does Selective have good home insurance?
Selective offers a wide range of insurance coverages, including homeowners insurance. Their “Selective Edge” homeowners insurance policies include the following coverage enhancements:
- Replacement cost for non-building structures
- Jewelry and watch theft coverage
- Cash out option
- Service line repair/replacement cost coverage
- Identity protection
- Home cyber protection
- Home systems protection (equipment breakdown coverage)
This list of add-on coverage options available under Selective’s home insurance is not exhaustive. Your independent insurance agent can help you find out more about Selective’s home insurance coverage, as well as their other products offered.
Is Selective a good insurance carrier?
With a long history in the insurance industry, excellent ratings through high-profile organizations, solid financial strength, an excellent official website, and large selection of coverage options, Selective can certainly be considered a good insurance company. Selective factors in the needs of their hard-working customers by providing 24/7 claims reporting, as well as several competitive discounts on their insurance products. It’s not difficult to see why so many insurance customers across the US have entrusted Selective with their coverage needs.
Selective Customer Reviews
|“Selective is a nice company to work with and they gave me great pricing. Flexible payment options. Hopefully I'll never need them but I've heard they are good with claims too.”|
|“The benefits are easy to explain and the prices are fair. I feel good knowing that my new home is insured and backed by this company.”|
|“Selective has the benefits of a large company with a small company feel. They offer comprehensive coverage at a fair price with great customer service. I highly recommend this company!”|
|Better Business Bureau|
|“Have house insurance with them. A little hard to reach when fire first started in the middle of the night, had to go through my local agent the following day. After that they have been amazing. I have three dogs and they have made sure everything and everybody is taken care of. Finding me hotel and rental accommodations that take this many dogs is hard and they have shown no hesitance to get the job done despite the price and hurdles. On top of that, I turned down half the options when I plain did not like them and they were still okay about it. Advancing me checks when I needed them, getting me the results and money within a month for the house, which was totaled. I and my family have felt very taken care of and I appreciate everything they have done. Looking for a new house now, this is why you get insurance.”|
|“Was formerly with a very well-known company for years. Once my policy doubled in premium for the same coverage I switched. My Selective policy was half the cost for the same coverage.”|
TrustedChoice.com's Final Review
We award Selective Insurance a final rating of 4.27 out of 5 stars. For starters, the insurance company has been around for nearly a century now, and their high ratings from both A.M. Best and the BBB reflect that. Coverage may not be available nationwide currently, but Selective offers a diverse catalogue of insurance products for many types of customers in need across the country. The insurance company has a strong user-friendly experience and provides 24/7 claims reporting through multiple mediums, including a mobile app. Further, there’s also plenty of glowing customer feedback easily spotted across the web. Customers seem satisfied with not only their coverage, but also the level of customer service provided by the carrier. So, if you’re located in an area where coverage is available and in need of any of their products, we say don’t hesitate to look into Selective Insurance with your independent insurance agent to be your next trusted carrier.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.