Alabaster, Alabama is the 16th most populated city in Alabama. As a popular and growing suburb of Birmingham, Alabaster is a great place to live. But no matter where you live, your home can be impacted by fire, severe weather, and even break-ins. If you are a homeowner in Alabaster, the best way to protect your home from these types of unforeseen events is to purchase a responsive and reliable home insurance policy.
Where can you find an affordable policy with the coverage you need? An independent insurance agent can help you obtain the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Alabaster home.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Alabaster, AL
Alabama is the 12th most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average cost of homeowners coverage in Alabaster is higher than the national average.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Alabama average yearly premium: $959
- Alabaster average yearly premium: $1,392
When you receive quotes for homeowners insurance, expect your premiums to be more or less than average. Everyone’s homeowners insurance rates are a little different because insurance costs are based on your individual home’s characteristics and the amount of coverage you need. Some of the factors used to calculate homeowners insurance rates include:
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, multi-family home, mobile home, townhome, etc.)
- Whether the house you are insuring is your primary residence
- The size, age and value of your house
- The material used in your home’s construction
- Your claims history and credit score
- Your coverage limits and the deductible that you choose
- The crime rate and weather risks in your city or ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance
The best way to make sure you are getting the best price is to shop around. An independent insurance agent can get quotes from multiple insurance companies, so you can compare costs and coverage and make the best choice for your needs and budget.
Burglary Rate in Alabaster, AL
The burglary rate in Alabama is quite high compared to the national rate, but in Alabaster, the burglary rate is lower than the state overall. Residents of this city report approximately 58 burglaries every year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US.: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Alabama: 7.0
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Alabaster: 1.76
This is great news for Alabaster residents. But it is still important to take precautions to protect your home from burglary. And should the worst happen, you need home insurance to reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have caused. A local independent agent can help you be certain that your home and your possessions are properly insured. If you have items like expensive jewelry, special collections, or family heirlooms, ask your agent about adding special endorsements or riders to ensure that these items have appropriate coverage.
Be sure to tell your agent if you have a home security system. While security systems are among the best deterrents for burglars, having one will also help you save some money on your home insurance. Most insurance companies offer discounts to homeowners with burglar alarms.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Catastrophic Events in Alabama
- Number of declared disasters in Alabama: 93
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Alabama: 44
- Average amount of property damage per year in Alabama: $670,506,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Homeowners insurance is designed to cover you against a variety of hazards you face as an Alabama homeowner. Fires, severe weather, and break-ins can cause significant damage to your home, and without home insurance, you’d have to pay for repairs on your own. One tornado can wipe out your entire property and leave you with nothing. An insurance agent can help you review your structure and contents coverage limits so you can be sure that they are high enough to enable you to rebuild, repair, or replace should the worst happen.
Hurricanes are a real threat to Alabama. It’s important to keep in mind that while damage caused by hurricane wind and rain is covered by a home insurance policy, damage caused by flooding is not. Alabama residents should consider purchasing separate flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Your independent insurance agent can help guide you.
Liability Insurance for Alabaster Homeowners
Liability insurance is one of the most important parts of any homeowners policy. It protects you when you or a family member is sued for some kind of negligence. This can happen when someone is injured on your property, or even if you or a family member causes some kind of damage or injury to someone else.
Without insurance protection, a lawsuit could devastate your finances. But the liability insurance portion of your homeowners policy takes the worry away. It covers court costs, legal fees, and even settlements or judgments levied against you if you are sued. Consider these examples of typical sources of lawsuits and liability claims:
- A guest in your home is seriously injured in an accident because of your negligence.
- Your child or pet causes injuries or property damage to a neighbor.
- You are accused of libel or slander because of something you posted online.
Talk to your independent agent to learn how an umbrella policy can offer even more liability coverage than your home insurance policy will allow. An umbrella policy supplements the liability coverage in both your home and auto insurance policies.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
If your primary residence is in Alabaster, but you own a second home or a vacation home, you have special insurance considerations. Whether you own a vacation home on the Gulf, a rental property, or a small hunting cabin, your second home needs sufficient insurance protection. You might think it’s easier to insure a second home, but in fact, homes that do not serve as a primary residence actually have additional risks.
- Rental property owners have high liability risks. Landlord insurance can help protect you from the costs of liability claims and lawsuits.
- Thieves and vandals often target homes that are empty for long periods. What’s more, water damage, ice damage, and fires are more common in homes that are only occupied seasonally. Talk to an independent agent to see if vacant home insurance can help in your situation.
A local independent agent can help you find appropriate policies to cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find a reliable and affordable homeowners insurance policy is by contacting a local independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so you can be sure that you are receiving trustworthy guidance and the coverage you need.
Contact an agent near you to start comparing customized, competitively priced home insurance quotes.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.