The city of Birmingham is home to nearly 211,000 people. It is the most populous city in Alabama, as well as the cultural and entertainment capital of the state. While Birmingham is one of the most important business centers in the Southeast, the city is also plagued by a high crime rate. Homeowners in the city are not immune to thefts and break-ins, and severe weather that can easily damage property is also not uncommon. That’s why Birmingham homeowners need home insurance.
Residents of this historic city need to carefully assess their risks and find the best home insurance at the best price. Having reliable, responsive homeowners insurance means having peace of mind in the face of unpleasant events. Independent insurance agents in Birmingham can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your home. Find an agent in or near Birmingham to learn more, and start comparing quotes today.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Birmingham, AL
Alabama is the 12th most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average cost of homeowners coverage in Birmingham is higher than the national average. But that doesn’t mean you should pay more than you have to.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Alabama average yearly premium: $1,358
- Birmingham average yearly premium: $1,230
Comparing quotes from multiple insurance companies and making sure you are maximizing your discounts is the best way to make sure you’re getting the best rate on your Birmingham home insurance. Expect your rates to be more or less than the average for your city, depending on individual factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- Whether the property is your primary residence or a second home
- The number of stories in your house and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of coverage you need and your deductible
Every insurance company has a different formula for calculating insurance premiums. Ultimately, they want to predict how risky you are to insure, or how likely you are to file a costly claim. If your property’s location comes with more hazards than most, expect to pay more. You will also pay more if your home will cost more to repair or rebuild than others.
The best way to make sure you are getting the best price for your unique home is to compare quotes from multiple insurance companies. A local independent agent can help you do just that and can guide you through the process to ensure you are getting the coverage you need.
Burglary Rate in Birmingham, AL
Birmingham has a high crime rate that is much higher than the national average and double the state average.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Alabama: 7.0
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Birmingham: 14.81
Your home insurance is designed to reimburse you for loss or damage following a break-in, theft, and even vandalism. But remember, you have to pay your deductible first, and your insurance company will handle the rest. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Take precautions to protect your home from burglaries, and remember that having a home security system is one of the best ways to keep the burglars out. What’s more, homes with burglar alarms often qualify for extra discounts on home insurance.
Catastrophic Events in Alabama
- Number of declared disasters in Alabama: 82
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Alabama: 47.1
- Average amount of property damage per year in Alabama: $670,506,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Homeowners insurance is designed to cover you against a variety of hazards you face as a Birmingham homeowner. Fires, severe weather, and break-ins can cause significant damage to your home, and without home insurance, you’d have to pay for repairs on your own. In Birmingham, the severe weather threat is real. Tornadoes are plentiful, and hurricanes—while infrequent—can wipe out your entire property. An insurance agent can help you review your structure and contents coverage limits so you can be sure that they are high enough to enable you to rebuild, repair, or replace if necessary.
Liability Insurance for Birmingham Homeowners
Your home insurance policy covers your home’s structure and your belongings. It also includes liability coverage, which is designed to help you pay for a variety of expenses if you are sued for negligence. If someone is injured on your property, your liability coverage will pay for medical expenses related to the accident. If that person sues you for additional damages, your liability coverage pays for attorney fees, court costs, and any settlements or judgments that you are required to pay.
Consider these examples of when your homeowners liability coverage is invaluable:
- A guest in your home trips on loose carpeting and breaks an ankle.
- Your child hits a baseball through a neighbor’s window.
- Your dog bites a passerby.
- You are accused of libel or slander because of something you posted on social media.
Learn more about liability insurance from your independent agent. You might find you need more coverage than your home insurance policy allows. In this case, you can purchase a personal umbrella policy, which offers liability coverage beyond what is provided in your home or auto insurance policy.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Maybe you own a vacation home on Alabama’s coastline. Or perhaps you rent space to students at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. If you own a second home, vacation home, or rental property, you need to ensure you have appropriate coverage for how each property is used.
- Vacation homes may only be occupied seasonally or on weekends. These properties are often targets for thieves, and property damage that occurs while you are gone can go unnoticed for long periods and get worse. Vacant home insurance may be needed in these situations.
- Vacation homes on the Gulf may face an increased risk of floods or hurricanes. Flood insurance is probably necessary for coastal homes.
- Landlord insurance can help you cover the specific risks you face if you rent a home to tenants.
A local independent agent can help you review the unique coverage needs of any additional properties that you own, and can obtain competitive quotes to make sure you’re getting the best price.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Independent insurance agents in your city can help you find a reliable, affordable home insurance policy. Independent agents aren’t tied to one company, so you can be sure you are getting honest, unbiased advice.
Contact an agent in Birmingham to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.