More than 55,000 people live in Decatur, Alabama. It is the busiest river port on the Tennessee River and is well-known as a hub for the manufacturing, cargo transit, and high-tech industries. Residents and tourists enjoy the city’s mild weather, but on occasion, severe weather that includes damaging winds, large hail, and lightning can plague the city. What’s more, the remnants of tropical weather disturbances often make their way to Decatur, bringing heavy rain and flooding.
If you own a home in Decatur, you need a reliable and responsive homeowners insurance policy. Enlist the help of an independent insurance agent in the area who can help you compare quotes and find the best coverage and price for your needs.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Decatur, AL
Alabama is the 12th most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average cost of homeowners coverage in Decatur is higher than the national average. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t shop around for the best rates.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Alabama average yearly premium: $1,358
- Decatur average yearly premium: $1,211
Your rates will be more or less than the average for your city. Each insurance company uses a different formula to compute rates. Most base their calculations on your individual home and coverage needs. If you live in a zip code that has a high crime rate or is highly susceptible to natural disasters, you can expect to pay more than someone living in a safer area.
Some of the individual factors that insurance companies look at include:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- Whether the property is your primary residence or a second home
- The number of stories in your house and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of coverage you need and your deductible
Shopping around for the best rates is easy with the help of an independent insurance agent. Independent agents aren’t tied down to one carrier, so they can obtain multiple quotes and help you make an informed choice.
Burglary Rate in Decatur, AL
Decatur has a high crime rate that's higher than the national average, and a little higher than the state average.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Alabama: 7.0
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Decatur: 7.77
It’s important for Decatur residents to take precautions to safeguard their homes from burglaries, break-ins, and vandalism. You can install security lights and cameras, use deadbolt locks, and leave lights on when you are away from home. One of the best deterrents is a home security system. It can keep burglars away, alert you when break-ins are attempted, and may even help you get a discount on your home insurance.
If you are the victim of a break-in or burglary, your homeowners insurance can help you get back to normal. It will reimburse you for damage to your home as well as stolen or damaged possessions. And your independent insurance agent will be there to help you throughout the claims process.
Catastrophic Events in Alabama
- Number of declared disasters in Alabama: 82
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Alabama: 47.1
- Average amount of property damage per year in Alabama: $670,506,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Your home insurance is designed to protect you when severe weather or other disasters strike. Wind, hail, and rain damage are not uncommon in Decatur, and with a reliable homeowners insurance policy, you’ll be able to make repairs to your roof or siding with minimal hassle.
If you live in an area that is prone to floods, be sure to talk to your insurance agent about the importance of flood insurance. Flood damage is not covered by your homeowners insurance, even if it is caused by a hurricane or severe storm. Flood insurance is available from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Liability Insurance for Decatur Homeowners
Homeowners may face claims of negligence at any time. If someone gets hurt on your property or your child or pet causes an injury or property damage, you may need to pay for the injured party’s property repairs or medical bills. What’s more, you could be sued and face extensive legal costs to defend yourself or settle the issue.
Your home liability insurance covers the costs of these kinds of lawsuits. It pays for court costs, attorney fees, and even any settlements or judgments that you are required to pay. It covers situations like:
- A guest getting injured on your property
- Your pet biting a passerby
- Your child damaging a neighbor’s home
- Accusations of slander or libel (e.g., you are accused of slander for something you posted online)
Some Decatur residents might want more liability coverage than their home insurance allows. In these cases, a personal umbrella insurance policy offers supplemental liability coverage beyond the limits of your home insurance and car insurance. A local independent insurance agent can help you review your options and compare costs.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Maybe you own a vacation home on Alabama’s coastline or a hunting cabin in the country. Do you own a rental property in town or a vacation condo that you rent out in the summer? If you own more than one house, you need insurance that appropriately covers all of your properties. A house that is not your primary residence has additional risk factors and considerations, so insurance companies may require it to be covered by different types of insurance.
- Vacation houses that are periodically unoccupied face particular risks, unlike primary residences. Property damage and break-ins are more likely in unoccupied homes, so these properties may need to be covered by vacant home insurance.
- Owners of rental properties have higher liability risks. If you own a rental property, you might require increased liability coverage but less coverage for the contents of the property. Landlord insurance can help you properly cover your rental property.
Your local independent agent can help you obtain multiple quotes for your additional properties. You can choose the coverage that best fits your needs.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Independent insurance agents make comparison shopping for Decatur home insurance easy. Independent agents work with several different insurance companies, so they can help you find the right coverage for your needs and budget.
Contact a local agent for customized quotes now.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.