There are, on average, 44 tornadoes that blow throw Alabama per year. With 194,585 residents in Huntsville, AL, the right protection is necessary. When you own a home or have assets that need insurance against all the what-ifs, an expert can help.
An independent insurance agent can be your guide to finding the right policy for an affordable price. They know which insurance will have the right coverage for tornadoes so you can make an informed decision. Connect with a local professional for quotes.
What Is Tornado Insurance?
Unlike earthquake or flood insurance, coverage for tornadoes is usually included in specific policies. The insurance companies see tornado damage as a windstorm, making coverage automatic in some cases. Of course, there are outliers and things you need to be aware of before you sit back and think you have the right policy in place for a disaster.
If your policy has protection for a tornado, it will provide coverage for the following:
- Your property: Personal belongings, your home, your car, and more can fall under replacement or repair when you have damage from a tornado.
- Your injuries: If you or a member of your household gets injured in a tornado, your policy should pick up the medical expenses.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Tornado Damage in Huntsville, AL?
In Huntsville, AL, your homeowners policy will most likely have coverage for tornado damage. Tornadoes are classified as a windstorm under most policies and will not need separate insurance. With 670,506,000 homeowners claims paid in 2016 alone, the correct coverage is necessary.
To be sure your home policy has adequate insurance for your belongings, property, and injuries incurred, the right limits are needed. The areas you'll need to review on your homeowners policy are as follows:
- Dwelling coverage: Covers the structure of your home. This is equal to the replacement cost of your home.
- Other structures coverage: Covers detached structures on your property, such as a shed or garage. This is usually 10% of your dwelling limit.
- Personal property coverage: Covers your personal belongings both inside and outside the home. This is normally 50% of your dwelling limit.
- Loss of use coverage: This pays for additional living expenses while your home is repaired after a covered loss. This is typically 20% of your dwelling amount.
- Personal liability coverage: Pays for legal and medical bills if you're held liable for injury or personal property damage to someone else. These limits are chosen by the insured and typically range from $100,000 to $1,000,000.
- Medical payments coverage: This is your first line of defense when a minor injury occurs on your property. It will pay for another party's medical bills, regardless of who is at fault. Coverage falls between $1,000 and $10,000.
Does Car Insurance Cover Tornado Damage in Huntsville, AL?
In Huntsville, AL, bodily injury and property damage liability are required at the state minimum limits for your auto insurance. The mandated amounts you are supposed to carry are:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability each person / $50,000 bodily injury per accident / $25,000 property damage liability per person
While the state-regulated insurance will supply you with some liability coverage, it won't give you tornado protection. Suppose you want your car, and any other personal belongings, covered when a tornado damages or demolishes your vehicle. You'll need to add comprehensive insurance to be protected. Comprehensive coverage can be added to your policy and will pay for damage that doesn't involve colliding with another car or object. When you collide with an animal, or have a theft or tornado damage, you'll have coverage under comprehensive insurance.
Huntsville, AL Tornado Insurance Claims
The Huntsville historical tornado activity is above the Alabama state average. It comes in at 146% greater than the US average, making it more critical than ever to obtain the right coverage. Check out some facts about Alabama losses:
- Number of federally declared catastrophes since 1953: 93
- Number of natural disasters in Huntsville, AL: 15
- Huntsville, AL, number of natural disasters caused by tornadoes: 7
When you're trying to protect your home, autos, and more, you may want to have coverage for tornados. With natural disasters and catastrophes a regular occurrence, the right policy is necessary. Connect with a Huntsville expert to get local quotes.
How Much is Tornado Insurance in Huntsville, AL?
The cost of tornado insurance in Huntsville will depend on the price of your homeowners and auto insurances. Premiums can vary depending on several factors. Carriers use a variety of items to rate your policy:
- Driving record
- Claims history
- Credit score
- Value of your home
- Value of your vehicles
- Coverages selected
The average cost of homeowners insurance in Alabama is $1,433 annually. That is a bit higher than the national average of $1,211 per year. To find out your exact pricing, get multiple quotes from numerous carriers.
How You Can Get Tornado Insurance in Huntsville, AL
The best way to find tornado insurance in Huntsville, AL, is to talk to a professional. To protect your home, vehicles, and families, consider an independent insurance agent. They have access to several markets to find rates and coverage at a fair price.
When you're tired of looking for insurance on your own, a local adviser can help. To get connected with an agent, go to TrustedChoice.com. They work with a network of Huntsville licensed professionals that can provide quotes today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.