Since 1953, Alabama has had 93 federally declared disasters. If you're one of the 199,518 residents in Montgomery, adequate protection is necessary. Tornado insurance can be added to your central policies for coverage.
Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can do the shopping for you. They can find coverage through multiple carriers, giving you options. Connect with a local adviser to start saving today.
What Is Tornado Insurance?
Tornado insurance can be included in or added to your current policies. It will protect you and the members of your household. Some items it can cover are as follows:
- Personal belongings
- Your dwelling
- Your vehicles
- Temporary housing costs
- Medical expenses
If you're trying to find separate insurance in Montgomery, AL, for tornadoes, you may not be able to. Unlike earthquake or flood insurance, tornado damage is covered under your primary policies. To have accurate limits of protection, consult with a professional.
How Much Is Tornado Insurance in Montgomery, AL?
Insurance premiums for Montgomery, AL, home, auto, and more will be different for everybody. Since tornado insurance is included in or added to your current policies, pricing is worked into your annual costs. Carriers use a variety of items to rate your insurance, such as:
- Driving record
- Claims history
- Credit score
- Value of your home
- Value of your vehicles
- Coverages selected
The average national premium for home insurance is $1,211 per year. Alabama comes in higher at $1,433 annually. While your exact costs are undetermined, you can get quotes from numerous carriers to compare.
Does Car Insurance Cover Tornado Damage in Montgomery, AL?
In Montgomery, AL, you are required to carry car insurance at the regulated limits. Despite obtaining the minimum coverage, you'll need to add insurance for tornado damage. The mandated amounts you are supposed to carry are:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person / $50,000 bodily injury per accident / $25,000 property damage liability per person
The state limits do not require you to carry tornado coverage. For that, you'll need to endorse your auto policy with comprehensive insurance. This coverage pays for damage that doesn't involve colliding with another car or object. When you collide with an animal, theft occurs, or there is damage from a tornado, this coverage will apply.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Tornado Damage in Montgomery, AL?
Alabama has had 607,506,000 homeowners claims paid in one year alone. Natural disasters and property damage will occur in Montgomery, and being proactive can help. Tornadoes are classified as windstorms under your homeowners policy and are automatically included. For proper insurance, review the following coverages in your home policy:
- Dwelling coverage: Covers the structure of your home. This is equal to the replacement cost of your home.
- Other structures coverage: Covers detached structures on your property, such as a shed or garage. This is usually 10% of your dwelling limit.
- Personal property coverage: Covers your personal belongings both inside and outside the home. This is normally 50% of your dwelling limit.
- Loss of use coverage: This pays for additional living expenses while your home is repaired after a covered loss. This is typically 20% of your dwelling amount.
- Personal liability coverage: Pays for legal and medical bills if you're held liable for injury or personal property damage to someone else. These limits are chosen by the insured and typically range from $100,000 to $1,000,000.
- Medical payments coverage: This is your first line of defense when a minor injury occurs on your property. It will pay for another party's medical bills, regardless of who is at fault. Coverage falls between $1,000 and $10,000.
Montgomery, AL Tornado Insurance Claims
Montgomery, AL, tornado activity is 44% higher than the overall US average. That makes having the right policy in place essential. Check out some facts about Montgomery, AL, losses:
- Number of tornadoes annually in Alabama: 44
- Number of natural disasters in Montgomery, AL: 14
- Montgomery, AL, number of natural disasters caused by tornadoes: 5
If you're without proper auto and home insurance, you can be on the hook for a significant expense. From property damage or replacement to medical bills, amounts can add up fast. By reviewing your policies with an adviser, you can make sure have sufficient coverage.
How You Can Get Tornado Insurance in Montgomery, AL
Insurance in Montgomery, AL, can be found through the help of a trusted professional. When you're looking for tornado coverage that doesn't break the bank, consider using an expert. An independent insurance agent can quote with numerous markets.
They work on your behalf at zero cost, so you can get the coverage and premium you deserve. When you're tired of searching for a policy on your own, try consulting with an advocate. Connect with a local independent agent on TrustedChoice today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.