Arizona may be a dry state, however, it has many lakes that offer residents a vast variety of watersport opportunities. In fact, the International Jet Sports Boating Association World Jet Ski finals are held at Lake Havasu every year. From innertubing and watersports to sailboats and canoes, Arizona has a passion for water.
One very important factor in responsible boating is being protected with boating insurance. Just like having a fire extinguisher on board, boat insurance is there when you need it, and gives you peace of mind that when an emergency happens, you'll be prepared.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Arizona Boating Facts
- There were 99 boating accidents in Arizona in 2012, including 77 injuries and 4 fatalities.
- Alcohol was a contributing factor in 20 accidents in 2012.
- In 2012, there were over 199,000 vessels registered in AZ.
Arizona requires that all watercraft be registered in the state. Each person must have a Coast Guard approved life jacket available, and those 12 and under must wear the life jacket at all times. Additionally, no one under the age of 12 may operate a watercraft with an engine of more than 8 horsepower unless an adult is present.
Arizona also has strict boat-type laws pertaining to what types of boats may be present on waters. Some lakes allow motorized boats or certain horsepower, while others do not. It's a wise idea to review which lakes allow the type of boat you own.
What is Boat Insurance?
Boat insurance is a set of policies designed to help protect you from expenses that arise from a boating accident. The following shows an example of a typical boat insurance policy:
- Liability insurance: This insurance is designed to help cover the damage you cause when you're deemed at fault for an accident. It may also help cover medical payments of the injured party. It doesn't cover damage to your vessel.
- Collision coverage: If you're involved in an accident, this coverage can help repair the damage to your vessel, no matter where the fault lies.
- Comprehensive coverage: Typically known as "anything other than collision", this typically covers events like fire,wind damage, and theft.
- Medical payments coverage: This coverage can help pay the medical expenses of anyone injured due to a boating accident that you are involved in.
- Towing and wreckage removal: Most bodies of water require you to remove a disabled or wrecked boat - even if it's completely submerged. This is an expensive endeavor, and this coverage is designed to help pay those costs.
- Pollution cleanup: If your boat is involved in a fuel spill, you may be deemed responsible for remediation. This is another expensive process, as it involves professional environmental consultants to survey and estimate the damage and repair. Pollution cleanup coverage may help you pay those expenses.
What Types of Boats are Covered by Boat Insurance?
Insurance companies realize that boats are not only assets, but also investments. As such, the majority of boats are eligible for insurance coverage. Here is a list of some of the most typical boats that can be covered:
- Jon Boats
- Speed boats
- Fishing boats
- Bass Boats
- Charter boats
- Cabin cruisers
This list is not exhaustive, but gives a general idea of boats that are most typically covered. If you have a vessel outside these types, don't worry. You are more than likely still able to get insurance on your vessel.
Will Boat Insurance Cover Me if I Hit a Rock, Dock, or Run Aground?
Unfortunately, large rocks can be hidden underwater, along with sandbars. Additionally, even the most careful boater can still end up hitting a dock. All of these circumstances can cause major damage. If you have a collision, your collision coverage will typically cover the damages that these accidents can cause. If you run aground, wreckage removal can help get your boat back on the water.
How Much Is a Boat Insurance in Arizona?
The price of boat insurance in AZ can vary based on a number of factors. When getting a boat insurance quote, be sure to be ready to answer the following questions:
- Your age and basic info
- Boat type
- Boat model
- If boat is financed
- Top speed
- Any custom parts/upgrades
- Who will be driving the boat
- Any safety measures (safety course, fire extinguishers, radios, etc.)
- Driving record for every driver
- If there will be passengers
- Where boat will be stored
- If the boat has a trailer
- Where boat will be used
- Your credit score
- Location of boat
All of these factors will be taken into consideration in order to give you the best policy. You will also need to choose your preferred coverage and deductibles.
Are Discounts Available on Boat Insurance?
Just like many other insurance policies, there are usually many discounts available on boat insurance policies, including the following:
- Multi-policy discount
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Lay-up discount (If you only use your boat during the summer, for example)
- Paid-in-full discount
- Good driver discount
- Good credit discount
- Safety course discount
Every insurance company offers different discounts, so be sure to ask your agent about which discounts you may be eligible for. Additionally, if you were ineligible for the good credit discount last year, ask if you might qualify for new discounts that you were ineligible for previously.
How To Get Boat Insurance in Arizona
Getting the right boat insurance policy is important, and serves you in two ways: you get the coverage you need; and you don't pay too much for it. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help you discuss coverages, research discounts, and even help you file a claim.
An independent member agent has years of experience working with Arizona insurance providers, and can find you a number of quotes from a variety of companies. Contact a Trusted Choice agent near you today to find the most comprehensive boat insurance quotes at the best rates