San Diego, the “birthplace of California”, is a natural harbor located 20 miles north of Mexico and is California's second largest city. Situated in Southern California’s rolling hills and towering coastal mesas, San Diego covers a massive area of differing terrain. From miles of ocean to densely forested hills to mountains to deserts, the climate in San Diego is tempered by the Pacific Ocean air, keeping the summers cool and the winters balmy.
Businesses located within the city limits of San Diego, CA, provide needed goods and services to the community and play a large role in keeping the local economy healthy. During times of hardship, business insurance coverage just makes sense to ensure your business remains profitable.
An independent insurance agent can help you find an affordable business insurance policy today.
Why Should My San Diego, CA, Business Need Liability Insurance?
Business liability insurance is designed to cover your business’s court costs, legal fees, and financial damages if your business receives a civil complaint and is one of the best aspects of every business insurance policy package. These legal fees can be pricey even if the court rules in your favor.
It is particularly important to make sure your business has the right kinds of liability insurance to cover against the unique risks your business faces. Some business liability coverage available to you include the following:
- Premises liability insurance: This insurance option covers damage that occur to a third party due to an accident on your business property.
- Product liability insurance: This insurance option covers damage occurring to a third party and caused by defects in goods that your business produces, sells, or promotes.
- Commercial vehicle liability insurance: If your business owns and operates vehicles, this insurance is required by law. It covers your business's increased liability risks if one of your employees causes an accident which results in damage to a third party.
- Pollution liability insurance: This optional insurance covers cleaning costs and damage if your business is responsible for an accident that leads to the pollution of the air, ground, or water.
- Employment practices liability insurance: This covers claims related to allegations of illegal employment practices such as breach of contract, discrimination, harassment, and wrongful termination.
- Cyber liability insurance: This covers financial losses and liabilities if hackers access your computer systems and steal sensitive customer data.
By conferring with a local independent insurance agent, you can discover more about these and many other business liability coverage options. Your agent can assist you in finding business liability products appropriate for your San Diego business.
What Insurance Products Cover My San Diego, CA, Business Property?
Businesses in San Diego, CA, are most likely to experience property loss or damage due to hazards such as structure fires, flooding, earthquakes, severe storms, burglary, and other property crimes.
The previously mentioned risks are covered by business property insurance, which is a typical feature of all business insurance policies. Designed to cover your business-owned property, it includes computers, furniture, inventory, merchandise, and other supplies.
Infrequently, you may need to add specific property insurance products. Your local independent insurance agent may advise adding one or more of the following options:
- Bailee's insurance: This option covers property owned by third parties when in your business’s care, such as when you are doing repair or upkeep services on it.
- Equipment breakdown insurance: This option covers repair or replacement of a broken-down piece of equipment and any losses related to machinery malfunctions.
- Flood insurance: Be mindful that business property insurance does not cover flood damage, even if the damage is the direct result of a covered hurricane.
- Inland marine insurance: This option covers movable business property during transfer or if it is stored away from your place of business.
Businesses located near waterways, such as the Mission Bay or the coast of the Pacific Ocean, are most at risk. When heavy rain falls, anywhere can flood quickly, so business flood insurance makes sense for most businesses.
A local independent insurance agent can aid you in making sure that all your business assets are properly covered and your coverage limits are high enough to allow you to rebuild, repair, or replace.
Why Is a Business Interruption Insurance Option a Good Idea in San Diego, CA?
A major disaster, such as a structure fire or a flood can, if the damage is especially serious, close your business for an extended period while fixes can be made to your business property.
- Number of federally declared disasters in CA since 1953: 330
- Most common reasons for declared disasters: fire/250
- Average number of tornadoes in CA per year: 11
A business closure lasting for more than a few weeks can be financially devastating, especially to a small business. Business interruption insurance offers a resolution by delivering your business with an income extension until your business can resume normal affairs.
Talk to your local independent insurance agent today to learn more about how business interruption insurance can befit your San Diego business.
Does My San Diego Business Need Workers’ Compensation Insurance?
As a business owner in San Diego, you are required to furnish a secure place for your employees to perform their duties. Undesirably, even when you take all safety measures, employees infrequently get hurt or sick.
All business in California, including corporate officers and directors, are accountable for providing their employees' monetary losses in the event of a workplace injury or illness, and workers’ compensation insurance is devised to provide coverage. For employees working regularly in California or an out-of-state employer, the employer must provide workers’ compensation coverage.
Workers’ compensation insurance rates are based principally on the kinds of jobs your employees perform and the chances they will be injured or get sick on the job. In fact, it would cost more to insure an airline pilot than to cover a desk clerk at a library.
A local independent insurance agent can aid you reviewing your costs and match you with an insurance company specializing in covering businesses in your industry.
What about Insurance Products for Employee Benefits Packages?
Whereas healthcare coverage options can be expensive, presenting subsidized coverage to your employees can have profitable benefits. Human resource managers have explored and proven when businesses offer a sustainable employee benefits package, they found it easier to entice and hold on to ideal employees.
- National annual amount spent on healthcare coverage: $2,305/person
- State average amount spent on healthcare coverage in CA: $1,166/person
There are many life insurance, car insurance and health insurance products accessible for you and your employees to choose from, which make it challenging in deciding which policies are best to include in your employee benefits package. A local independent insurance agent can go over the pros and cons of your options so you can make an educated determination.
Why Work with a Local Independent Insurance Agent in San Diego, CA?
Insurance companies permit business owners to wholly individualize their business insurance policies because they realize every business has it is own particular risks. A local independent insurance agent can help make looking for business insurance coverage simple, by offering assistance and helping you in finding the best and most inexpensive business insurance policies to cover your business needs.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.