Sacramento, capital of California, is located in the center of California’s extensive and fertile Sacramento Valley. Along with a deep-water harbor connected to the San Francisco Bay via a 43-mile channel, Sacramento is an important West Coast focal point for the handling of freight from ocean-going ships. Government and transportation are the largest sectors of employment in the area. In addition, a significant percentage of the food that America consumes is produced in Sacramento, CA.
Most of the year, Sacramento has a mild climate, however, in the summer months, “northers” blow in heat and pollen. Mishaps can happen to anyone, especially during rainy California winters. From fender benders on the Mojave Freeway to a head on collision on the CA-58 W, a robust car insurance policy can prevent citizens of Sacramento from facing large collision-related financial losses.
Local independent insurance agents make obtaining the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs easy. Find a local independent insurance agent in Sacramento to learn more today. You can start assessing personalized car insurance quotes immediately.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Sacramento, CA?
In California, car insurance costs average slightly higher than the national average. Therefore, taking the time to shop around and assess rates could possibly save you hundreds of dollars each year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,427
- CA average annual car insurance cost: $1,713
The many insurance quotes you will receive will differ from one company to another. Since each insurance company has their own system of determining risk and calculating rates, your quotes will be based on several of the following factors:
- The make, model, and year of every insured car
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
You may qualify for key discounts on your car insurance coverage by bundling your car insurance with homeowners insurance or renters insurance. You may also qualify for other possible deductions if you are either a safe driver or a student with excellent grades.
Allow a local independent insurance agent to help you assess costs and find all the discounts for which you qualify so you can get the coverage you need at the most cost-effective price.
What Car Insurance Options are Required and/or Optional in Sacramento, CA?
Car insurance policies in California are a mixture of both optional and required insurance coverage. As a resident of Sacramento, CA requires you to acquire an insurance policy that meets or exceeds the California minimum coverage requirements. The following are forms of acceptable insurance:
- Motor vehicle liability insurance policy
- Cash deposit of $35,000 with DMV
- DMV-issued self-insurance certificate
- Surety bond for $35,000 from a company licensed to do business in California
Additionally, if you are currently making payments on your car, your investor will probably require comprehensive and collision insurance, as well as liability car insurance. Likewise, if you are leasing a vehicle, you will also need to carry comprehensive insurance.
The minimum liability insurance requirements are as follows:
- $15,000 for injury/death to one person
- $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person
- $5,000 for damage to property
Liability car insurance compensates third parties for personal injury and/or property damage. You should also be aware that comprehensive or collision insurance does not meet vehicle financial responsibility requirements.
The following insurance coverages are optional:
- Comprehensive insurance: (Partially optional) This insurance pays to repair or replace your car if it is lost or damaged due to an incidental event such as a flood, storm damage, or a wildfire.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: (Optional) Following a covered accident, this insurance pays for the cost of renting a replacement car while repairs are being made to your car.
- Roadside assistance and towing: (Optional) This insurance pays for needed assistance if your car gets a flat tire or runs out of gas.
Talk to your local independent insurance agent for assistance in establishing how much liability insurance coverage you need and to consider which coverage options are necessary.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Sacramento, CA?
Driving without liability insurance is prohibited in California. If caught, uninsured drivers can face the following consequences:
- A fine ranging from $100 to $450 for first offense
- A fine ranging from $200 to $500 for the second offense within three years
- Fees and penalty assessments = $900 to $2500
- DMV can suspend a driver’s license for up to four years
- DMV can suspend your vehicle registration
California has some of the easiest punishments for uninsured driving in the nation. Thus, it should come as no shock that it also has one of the greatest percentages of uninsured drivers.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of CA drivers who are uninsured: 15.2%
If you are still making payments or leasing your car, you almost certainly have comprehensive coverage already. If not, talk to your local independent insurance agent to learn how much it will cost you to add this beneficial coverage to your car insurance policy.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Sacramento, CA?
Sacramento’s crime rate is 337.6, which is 1.2 times higher than the US average. Sacramento has seen an increase in violent crimes and a decrease in property crimes. In 2018, the property crime rate in Sacramento, CA, was much larger than the US average.
- National property crime rate per 100,000 people: 189.3
- Sacramento property crime rate 100,000 people: 290.3
- California auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 392.4
- Sacramento auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 568.6
In Sacramento, the risk of your car being stolen is remarkably high, so it is crucial to understand you can only be compensated for a car theft if your car insurance policy incorporates comprehensive coverage in your policy. Comprehensive coverage may include a broad assortment of non-collision damage such as that caused by floods, flood damage, and mudslides.
Why Work with a Local Independent Insurance Agent in Sacramento, CA?
Local independent insurance agents are enormously beneficial when looking for the best car insurance policy. These insurance professionals can describe your many coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you examine contributions from various providers.
Discover the many benefits of working with a local independent insurance agent. Contact an insurance agent with an office near you, and you can start evaluating personalized car insurance quotes in a short period of time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.