San Jose, CA, lies in the Santa Clara Valley at the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay and is known as the “Southern Peninsula.” Bordered by the Santa Cruz Mountains on the west and the Diablo Mountain range on the east, the Coyote and Guadalupe rivers run through the city as well. The climate is mild with humidity levels in the range of 51 to 67 percent in July.
In less than thirty years, San Jose has become an enormous city and became a trend in US economic history. San Jose became the capital of the "Silicon Valley" because of the computer revolution, and due to an explosion of growth and profitability, the population increased fourfold from 1950 to 1980.
Although the region’s climate changes depending on your location, severe weather is rare. Nevertheless, that does not mean you should procrastinate when buying homeowners insurance. Potential hazards you should be on the outlook for include the following:
- Fire, especially under the current fire conditions in CA
- Flooding, as burned vegetation no longer holds soil together
- Landslides, because of the flooding
If you have recently purchased a home in San Jose, CA, you may want to consider purchasing homeowners insurance as well.
A local independent insurance agent is there to find you the best reasonably priced homeowners insurance coverage for your San Jose home. Find a local insurance agent near you today to learn more, and you can start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes from a range of insurance brokers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in San Jose, CA?
California’s average rate of homeowners insurance is lower than the national average. Yet, when you assess homeowners insurance first, you will most likely save hundreds of dollars every year.
- National average yearly premium: $2,305
- CA average yearly premium: $1,166
Genuine homeowners insurance will differ from one owner to another, and averages can only give a ballpark figure of what you might possibly pay for homeowners insurance in San Jose. This is because insurance companies calculate rates on a personal basis according to a few different factors, which include the following:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- The type of house you are insuring
- The number of stories in your house
- Your claims history and credit score
- The crime rate and weather risks in your region
- Whether you are bundling your homeowners insurance coverage with another policy such as life insurance or car insurance
When you examine several different quotes, it allows you to pick the homeowners insurance policy offering the best coverage at the least expensive price for you and your insurance needs. Local independent insurance agents in San Jose make shopping for homeowners insurance simple.
Why Does My San Jose, CA, Home Need Homeowners Insurance?
When you own a home, civil complaints can arise at any time, to all sorts of people, and the costs can become enormous. Your homeowners insurance affords you personal liability coverage for this reason. Homeowners insurance is devised to cover costs arising from a civil complaint and can protect you from financial ruin should a nasty incident take place.
Following are a few cases in which homeowners liability insurance coverage can protect you against:
- You must remove a rattlesnake from your plumbing after you saw it peek its head out of the toilet
- A surfer breaks his board on your private beach and sues for the damage
- Your bride’s dress catches on fire at your wedding and your husband throws you into the ocean to put the fire out
- Beavers take up residence in your backyard pond, chew a tree down, which promptly lands on your neighbor’s house
A local independent insurance agent in San Jose can better explain your homeowners liability coverage in more detail.
If you are looking for higher liability limits, your local independent insurance agent can assist you in procuring a low-cost umbrella insurance policy. Umbrella insurance is a cost-effective way to develop your liability insurance coverage policy.
Does San Jose, CA, Homeowners Insurance Cover against Catastrophic Events?
Your homeowners insurance policy is aimed at covering against many perils in San Jose, which include catastrophic events such as wildfires, flooding, and mudslides. In the event of a catastrophe, it is a good idea to make sure your coverage limits are enough to cover the repair or rebuilding of your home if necessary.
Catastrophic events in CA:
- Number of federally declared disasters in CA since 1953: 330
- Average number of tornadoes per year in CA: 11
- Most common reasons for disasters in CA: Fire, flooding, water damage, earthquakes, and severe storms
- Average amount of property damage per year in CA: $4,158,620,000
Residents of San Jose are most at risk for damage sparked by fires, flooding, or earthquakes. Homeowners insurance covers most of these dangers, however, it is vitally important you know flood damage is not covered by homeowners insurance, even if the flood is the direct result of a covered storm.
The most at risk for flood damage are residents near waterways such as the Pacific Ocean or the San Francisco Bay. When torrential rain falls, flash flooding can happen almost anywhere and to anybody. Luckily, a local independent insurance agent can aid in boosting your insurance coverages with a flood damage policy.
Does San Jose, CA, Homeowners Insurance Cover against Property Crimes?
The burglary rate in CA, and in San Jose in particular, is lower than the national average. This is not to say you do not need to worry. In the last five years, San Jose has seen an increase in violent crime and a decrease in property crime.
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 people in the US: 376
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 people in CA: 416
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 people in San Jose: 281, which is a tad less than the US average.
It is disturbing enough when you are the target of a property crime in San Jose, but having your home broken into is another matter. Although it may improve your mood to know that your homeowners insurance policy offers restitution for your losses.
Most insurance companies will offer you discounts based on an installed alarm system, but only a local independent insurance agent can assist you in finding every potential discount you may qualify for.
Does San Jose, CA, Have Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance?
If you own a second home or vacation home, or you have a rental house you rent to bikers, be sure to cover all your homes with an appropriate home insurance policy.
Insurance companies take the risks into consideration when a home is not serving as your primary residence. Sometimes this may mean you must purchase a specialized insurance product.
- Second homes inhabited by renters have greater liability and property damage risk. These homes require a specialized insurance coverage called landlord insurance.
- Vacation homes left vacant for prolonged periods have an increased risk of break-ins and property damage. Vacant home insurance may be required while the house is empty.
A local independent insurance agent can assist you in finding the coverage you need for of all your residential homes and can assist you in finding the best and most moderately priced policies to insure them.
Why Work with a Local Independent Insurance Agent in San Jose, CA?
You can rest assured you will receive great advice as you bargain shop for homeowners insurance coverage on your San Jose property. The best way to obtain help is to work with a local independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance company.
Local independent insurance agents in San Jose, CA, are ready to help you today. Contact a local independent insurance agent near you to start comparing individualized homeowners insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.