California is one of the busiest states when it comes to boating and water activities. With over 1,400 different boating locations, there's a body of water sure to fit everyone -- personal water craft included.
So it's no surprise that come Friday afternoon, the lakes and rivers start buzzing with activity. As the weekend progresses, you can hear jetskis zooming by and trolling motors humming, and you might even see rafts navigating the rapids. Even during the winter months, there are boaters on the water.
There are almost a million boats registered in California, and with such a high number of boats on the water, accidents are common. An accident involving a PWC can get serious quickly, which is why having PWC insurance in place is critical.
The Facts: Boating in California
- In 2013, there were over 820,000 boats registered in the state of California.
- There were 531 boating accidents in 2013.
- There were 117 boating accidents that involved a PWC in 2013.
- The number one cause of boating accidents in 2013 was operator inattention, followed by excessive speed.
- The most fatalities on boats in 2013 occurred in September.
- There were 38 fatalities on CA waterways during 2013.
With such a high number of accidents and fatalities in CA, having PWC insurance in place is one way to protect yourself and your family from the financial disaster an accident can cause.
What Is PWC Insurance?
PWC insurance is a set of policies put together in order to offer PWC users protection from some of the most common incidents that occur while on the water. A typical PWC insurance policy may include the following:
- Collision coverage: No matter who is at fault for an accident, this covers the damages to your PWC.
- Uninsured and underinsured boater coverage: Many boaters lack adequate insurance, since it's not legally required. If an accident occurs involving such a boater, this can help cover the damages.
- Medical payments coverage: This can cover any medical expenses needed as a result of an accident on your PWC.
- Towing and assistance coverage: Emergencies happen. If you find yourself stranded on the water, this can help get you back to shore.
- Wreckage removal: If you're involved in an accident on the water, you may be required to pay for the removal of the damaged boat. This is an expensive service, but wreckage removal coverage can help cover those costs.
- Comprehensive coverage: This coverage will be required if you take a loan out to purchase your PWC. It is designed to cover all non-collsion events.
- Accessory coverage: If you have toys or gear that goes out on the water with you, this insurance can work to cover those items, such as GPS systems, towables, or upgrades.
What Types of PWCs are Covered in California?
With such a huge number of PWC riders in California, insurance companies know that not all jetskis are equal. There are different coverages for different types of PWCs. Below is a list of the most common PWCs that can be covered:
- Sit-down PWCs
- Stand-up PWCs
- Multiple person PWCs
- Fishing PWCs
- Sport PWCs
- Racing PWCs
- Submersible PWCs
You may own one of these types of PWCs, or you may own a different type not shown this list. In order to get adequate coverage for your PWC, it's a wise idea to speak with an agent.
What Will My PWC Insurance Quote Look Like in California?
PWC insurance rates vary greatly depending on a number of factors. A typical PWC insurance policy may cost anywhere from $150 to $500 per year. When you decide to start shopping for PWC insurance either online or in person, make sure to be aware of the following:
- Make of PWC
- Model of PWC
- Age of PWC
- Value of PWC
- Where PWC is stored
- Where PWC will be used
- Whether anyone else will be operating PWC
- Your driving record (on and off the water)
- History of claims
- Any extra equipment you would like to cover
All of these factors, plus more, will be used in order to give you a quote that will cover you and your PWC.
Are Discounts Available on PWC Insurance in California?
Insurance expenses may be high in CA, however, discounts are usually available to help make coverage more affordable. The following are some of the most common types of discounts on PWC insurance:
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Lay-up policy discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Safety course discount
- Good driver discount
Each insurance company offers different discounts, so be sure to ask about any discounts you may be eligible for.
Getting PWC Insurance Is Easy
Purchasing PWC insurance in California is easy. However, having the right coverage is critical to being adequately protected. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to assist you in finding coverage, suggest policy modifications, or even help you file a claim. Trusted Choice agents are committed to finding you the best coverage at the right price.