Accidents can happen to anyone, especially in the wintertime when Colorado’s roads can be slick with ice and sleet. That is why vehicle owners in Arvada are required to carry car insurance. From fender benders on Simms Street to multi-car collisions on Wadsworth Boulevard, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from facing large financial losses.
Finding the most affordable car insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent. An agent with an office in or near Arvada can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing a policy that meets your coverage needs at a good price. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements for Arvada Drivers?
Liability car insurance is designed to cover the cost of other people’s medical treatment and property damage if you are responsible for a car accident. As a resident of Colorado, your car insurance policy must include, at a minimum:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $15,000 in property damage liability per accident
While purchasing just enough coverage to meet the state’s requirements may be your least expensive option, it is not always the best choice. A minimum-coverage policy will not cover your own injuries or damage and it won’t cover you for other risks, such as if your car is stolen or you break down while driving. Also, while Colorado’s minimum requirements are high enough to cover your liability costs for most collisions, an accident involving serious injuries can easily exceed what a minimum-coverage policy will cover. You would then need to make up the difference out of pocket.
That is why many vehicle owners in Arvada choose to purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than Colorado requires. Some people also buy umbrella insurance in order to get even higher levels of liability coverage. Your local insurance agent can help you get the liability coverage you need at a price you can afford.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Arvada, CO?
Car insurance rates in the state of Colorado tend to be higher than the national average. In Arvada, the average cost runs a little lower than the state average, but is still higher than the national average. Shopping around for coverage lets you be sure you are getting your policy at the most competitive price.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Colorado average annual car insurance cost: $1,245
- Arvada average annual car insurance cost: $1,407
Of course, car insurance costs are going to vary significantly from one driver to the next because they are calculated individually according to several different considerations. Examples of factors that can influence your costs include:
- The year, make, and model of your vehicles
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- Information about other drivers in your household unless they are specifically excluded from your coverage
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you opt for automatic electronic payments
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
Costs are based on risk, so if you have been driving for several years and have a clean driving record, your coverage is going to cost less than if you are a teenage driver insuring their first vehicle. An independent insurance agent in Arvada can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of highly rated insurers.
How Many Uninsured Motorists Are There in Colorado?
If you are caught driving without insurance in Colorado, you can face some serious consequences. A first-time offense can get you a $500 fine and a suspension of your license. Additional offenses will get you a $1,000 fine, longer license suspensions, and the possibility of court-ordered community service.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 13%
- How many Colorado drivers are uninsured? 13.3%
Despite the penalties, Colorado has a relatively high uninsured driver rate. If a driver who doesn’t have insurance crashes into your car, uninsured motorist insurance can ensure that you get the compensation you are entitled to quickly and easily without the need to file a lawsuit. This insurance is optional in Colorado.
Does Car Insurance Cover against Auto Thefts in Arvada?
The auto theft rate in Colorado is higher than the national average. In Arvada, the average rate is lower, but has been increasing recently. There were more than 400 reported vehicle thefts in Arvada in 2018.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.28
- Colorado auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 3.8
- Arvada auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.50
Be aware that you cannot be compensated for a stolen vehicle unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. This insurance is optional, but most lenders will require you to carry it until your vehicle is paid in full.
Comprehensive insurance can be beneficial, particularly if your car has a high resale value. It covers more than just auto theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage caused by other non-collision hazards such as falling trees, heavy winds, floods, structure fires, and vandalism.
What Else Can Arvada Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to liability insurance, uninsured motorist insurance, and comprehensive insurance, you have additional policy options you can choose from. These include:
- Collision insurance: This can cover damage to your vehicle that is sustained in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This can cover necessary medical treatment for you and your passengers if you are in an accident, regardless of fault.
- Towing & roadside assistance: This can cover your costs if you break down on the road and need to call for assistance.
- Rental car reimbursement insurance: This can cover the cost of using a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired due to covered damage.
Learn more about these coverage options and what they cost by talking to a local independent insurance agent.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Arvada, CO?
As a resident of Arvada, you can turn to a local independent agent for assistance when you are searching for the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents are free to work with a variety of insurance providers so they are able to help you find the coverage you need at the most affordable price.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Arvada to learn more, and you can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.