The small municipality of Edgewater, Colorado, is home to about 5,000 people. Many are attracted to this vibrant community because of its recreational facilities, proximity to the city of Denver, and affordable housing.
If you own a house in Edgewater, you can protect your investment with a comprehensive homeowners insurance policy. Independent agents can help you find the best and most affordable coverage. Find an insurance agent near you to start reviewing customized quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Edgewater, CO?
Home insurance rates in the state of Colorado are higher than the national average. Shopping around for the best price has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Colorado average yearly premium: $1,495
Your actual home insurance costs are likely to differ from the average rates listed above. This is because premiums are calculated according to several factors such as the following.
- The size of your home, the year it was built, and the materials used in its construction
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g. single-family detached, multifamily home, condo, mobile home, townhouse, vacation home, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks where your house is located
- Your claims history and credit score
- The size of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your homeowners coverage with another policy like car insurance
Reviewing a variety of rates lets you choose the homeowners insurance policy that offers the coverage you want at the most affordable price. Independent insurance agents in Edgewater make comparison shopping easy.
What Are the Risks Faced by Homeowners in Edgewater?
Your home insurance policy is designed to cover against most of the damaging risks you are likely to face as a homeowner in Edgewater. This includes coverage against hazards like accidental fires, wildfires, burglary, tornadoes, severe storms, hail, heavy snows, and freezing temperatures.
Catastrophic events in Colorado
- Number of federally declared disasters in CO since 1953: 96
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Wildfires, floods, and severe storms
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Colorado: 53
- Average amount of property damage per year in CO: $1.75 billion
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
However, not all potential hazards are covered by homeowners insurance. Property owners in Edgewater may want to supplement their home coverage with the following.
- Flood insurance: Flash flooding can occur just about anywhere in this municipality, and the damage caused by floods can be very expensive. Fortunately, an independent insurance agent will be able to help you secure an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Earthquake insurance: The risk of seismic activity in Edgewater is greater than the state’s average and 721% greater than the national average. If ground movement from an earthquake damages your home’s foundation, structure, or contents, you will need an earthquake insurance policy to be covered.
Talk to your local insurance agent for help determining how much property coverage is sufficient for your home and to discuss your options when it comes to flood insurance and earthquake insurance.
Why Is Liability Insurance Important for Edgewater Homeowners?
In addition to covering your home and property, homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability protection. This can cover expenses such as court costs, legal fees, settlements, and damage if you are responsible for someone else experiencing an injury or property damage.
Examples of times your homeowners liability insurance can provide coverage.
- If a guest is severely injured while on your property
- If your dog gets loose and bites someone
- If your child hits a baseball through the windshield of a parked car
- If you are accused of libel or slander
- If you accidentally cause injuries to someone while you are away from home, such as during a friendly game of basketball at Walker Branch Park
If you want more liability coverage than your home insurance can provide, you can also purchase an umbrella insurance policy. A local independent agent can help you find all the liability coverage you need at the most competitive price.
Does Edgewater Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Colorado is similar to the national rate. However, in Edgewater the risk is much higher. Residents of small municipality reported 34 burglaries in 2019.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Colorado: 3.75
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Edgewater: 6.34
You can take preventive measures to lower your risk of being targeted for a burglary. These include making sure that all entry ways to your home are secure and locked, leaving lights on timers when you are away from home, and making sure that your doorways are well lit and unobstructed.
Among the most effective theft deterrents is a home security system. That is why many insurance companies offer policy discounts to homeowners who have burglar alarms installed in their homes.
Of course, nothing is 100% foolproof. Fortunately, if you are the victim of a burglary, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any resultant damage to your home. Your local insurance agent can offer guidance and support throughout the claims process.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Edgewater, CO?
Independent insurance agents make it easy to find the best homeowners policy to cover your Edgewater home. Because they are free to work with several different insurance companies, these agents can do the comparison shopping for you. That way, you can be certain that you are getting the coverage you need at a great price.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Edgewater to learn more and to start comparing customized homeowner insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.