Located just 10 miles north of Denver, Thornton is a great place for commuters to call home. This small city offers several parks and open spaces, a low crime rate, and an abundance of affordable housing. If you are among Thornton’s many proud property owners, you can protect your investment with a comprehensive homeowners insurance policy.
When you are shopping for the best and most affordable coverage for your Thornton home, a local independent insurance agent can help. Find an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Thornton, CO?
In general, homeowners in Colorado pay more for homeowners insurance than property owners throughout much of the country. However rates for home insurance in Thornton tend to be much less expensive. This is great news for those who are looking for a great price for coverage. Let’s look at an average rate comparison:
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Colorado average yearly premium: $1,383
- Thornton, CO yearly premium average: $881
Of course, Thornton includes homes with a wide range of sizes and values. As a result, your actual rates may be significantly higher or lower than this average. Home insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis and are based on a variety of factors such as:
- The age, size, and value of your house
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, townhouse, condo, mobile home, vacation home, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in the ZIP code in which your house is located
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Each insurance company has its own way of calculating rates, so it is a good idea to compare quotes from a few different providers before making a selection. That way, you can be sure that you are not overpaying for your coverage. Independent insurance agents in Thornton make comparison shopping easy.
What Kinds of Damage Does Thornton Homeowners Insurance Cover?
There are a number of ways that your Thornton home may sustain costly damage. These include fires (including accidental fires and wildfires), property crimes, and severe weather events like hail, windstorms, tornadoes, and heavy snows. Fortunately, these hazards are all covered by most homeowners insurance policies.
Catastrophic Events in Colorado
- Number of federally declared disasters in Colorado: 83
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Fires and Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Colorado: 49.5
- Average amount of property damage per year in CO: $1.75 billion
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
A local independent insurance agent can help you review your dwelling and contents coverage limits so you can be sure that they are high enough to enable you to fully rebuild or replace damaged property following a catastrophic event.
It should be noted, however, that not every risk is covered. Flood damage is excluded from home insurance coverage. So too is damage caused by landslides and mudslides. This area also has an elevated risk of earthquake damage, but earthquakes are also excluded from homeowners insurance coverage.
The good news is that a local independent insurance agent can help you review your risks and can assist you with finding affordable supplementary coverage such as flood insurance and earthquake insurance so that your house is fully covered against all of its potential hazards.
Why Do Thornton Homeowners Need Liability Protection?
We are only human, and humans make mistakes. Sometimes, we may be responsible for accidents or mishaps that lead to injuries or damage to others. If that happens, the injured parties can sue, and things can get costly. That is why homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability coverage.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are responsible for injuries or damage associated with a covered event. Examples of times that this liability coverage can come to your aid include:
- If a visitor, guest, or delivery person is seriously injured while on your property.
- If your pets or children cause injuries or property damage to others.
- If you accidentally injure someone while away from home, such as while playing basketball at the Margaret Carpenter Recreation Center.
- If you are accused of libel or slander.
Talk to your insurance agent to learn more about the many ways that the liability coverage included in your Thornton home insurance policy can protect you.
What Is the Burglary Rate in Thornton?
The burglary rate in Colorado is lower than the national average, and in Thornton, the risk is even lower. This is not to say that Thornton residents are immune from the risk of property crimes. There are about 500 burglaries reported in this city every year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Colorado: 4.31
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Thornton: 3.85
Home security systems are very effective at lowering the risk of your house being broken into. Many insurance companies offer discounts to homeowners who have installed burglar alarms. Of course, nothing is 100% foolproof against a determined criminal, but an alarm can limit the time a burglar spends in your house and therefore reduce the extent of your losses.
If your Thornton home is burglarized, the first thing you should do is ensure that you and your family are safe, and then call the authorities. You will need a copy of the police report when you file a claim with your homeowners insurance company.
Your home insurance can provide you with compensation for your losses as well as for the cost of repairing any damage the burglars may have done to your home. If needed, your local insurance agent can offer advice and support throughout the claims process.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you own a weekend cabin in the Rocky Mountains or a winter vacation home in Arizona. Or perhaps you own a second home nearby in Denver that you rent out to young families. Whatever your reasons, if you own more than one residential property, there are additional factors to consider when insuring these homes.
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for long periods often have a high risk of property damage due to hazards such as water leaks, pest infestations, and property crimes. When there is nobody in the house to notice them, these small problems can grow very expensive. Vacant home insurance may therefore be required when these houses are not in use.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability and property damage risks than homes that are primary residences. These houses also have lower contents coverage needs for the homeowner, since tenants have to secure their own property with renters insurance. Landlord insurance is designed to meet the unique coverage needs of lessors.
An independent insurance agent in Thornton can help you find the right home insurance policies to properly cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Thornton?
Independent insurance agents live and work in your community so they understand the risks you face as a homeowner in Thornton. These agents make it easy to find the best home coverage available because they do not work for a specific insurance company. This enables them to shop around to find the policy that offers the best value for your hard-earned money.
Find an insurance agent in or near Thornton to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.