Walsenburg, CO, is home to about 3,000 people. With its proximity to Lathrop State Park, it is an ideal location for outdoor enthusiasts to settle down. If you own a house in this small city, a good homeowners insurance policy can protect the investment you have made in it.
Independent agents are available to help you find the best and most affordable coverage for your Walsenburg home. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more and to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Walsenburg, CO?
The average cost of home insurance in Colorado is higher than the national average. Shopping around for the best rate has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Colorado average yearly premium: $1,495
Your actual homeowners insurance quotes are likely to be different from the average rate mentioned above. This is because costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to several considerations such as the following.
- The size, age, and value of your home
- The type of property you are insuring (e.g., single-family house, mobile/manufactured home, rental property, tiny home, etc.)
- The number of stories your house has, and whether it has a basement
- Your claims history and credit score
- The crime rate and weather risks where your house is located
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or RV insurance
Every insurance company has its own way of determining rates, so comparing a variety of quotes lets you choose the policy that offers the coverage you need at the best available price.
What Kinds of Damage Are Covered by Walsenburg Home Insurance?
Your home insurance policy can cover against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Walsenburg. This includes risks such as the following.
- Accidental fires
- Electrical storms
- Heavy snows
- Freezing temperatures
- Property crimes
Fortunately, all of these risks are covered by most homeowners insurance policies.
If damage from a covered event leaves your home uninhabitable, the loss of use insurance that is included in every homeowners policy can cover your temporary living expenses while repairs are made.
What Kinds of Damage Are Not Covered by Walsenburg Home Insurance?
As with any insurance policy, homeowners insurance has some exclusions. Most notably, your policy will not cover against floods or earthquakes.
- Floods: An estimated 11% of properties in Walsenburg are in danger of experiencing flood damage. If your house is at risk, you can protect it by with an affordable flood insurance policy.
- Earthquakes: Walsenburg has a moderate risk of earthquake activity. This city has experienced 38 quakes since 1931. To be covered against damage caused by this hazard, you will need an earthquake insurance policy.
Supplementing your homeowners insurance coverage with the right policies can ensure that you have coverage against all potential hazards.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Why Is Liability Insurance Important for Walsenburg Homeowners?
Liability lawsuits can be very expensive. Fortunately, your home insurance can provide you with a significant amount of personal liability protection.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal defense fees, settlements, judgements, and other damages if you or someone in your household are sued for a covered event.
Here are examples of times your homeowners liability coverage can help you.
- A visitor to your home is badly injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence of upkeep on your part.
- You accidentally hit someone with a golf ball while spending a day at the Walsenburg Golf Course.
- You are accused of libel because of something you posted on social media.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a neighbor.
If you want to have even more liability coverage than your homeowners insurance can offer, you can also purchase umbrella insurance. This is an affordable way to significantly boost all of your liability coverage.
Does Walsenburg Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Colorado is nearly identical to the national rate; but in Walsenburg, the rate is lower. This is not to say the risk does not exist. Residents of this city reported 76 burglaries in 2016.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Colorado: 3.75
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Walsenburg: 2.65
It may give you some peace of mind to know that if your house is burglarized, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have caused.
If you own any particularly expensive items like fine art, rare collectables, or a lot of jewelry, you may need to add special endorsements to your contents coverage in order for them to be fully covered.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find the best and most affordable coverage for your Walsenburg home is by working a local independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for an insurance company, so they are free to shop around to find you appropriate coverage at a competitive price.
It doesn’t cost anything to work with an independent agent. Find an insurance agent with an office near you to get more information. You will be able to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes in no time.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.