Find the Best Car Insurance Quotes and Options in Connecticut
The average cost of car insurance in Connecticut is $1,690 per year. That makes car insurance costs in Connecticut higher than the national average of $1,311 per year. But everyone’s car insurance rates will be different, based on where they live and their personal characteristics.
No matter where you live it’s usually important to purchase more than minimum coverage, so if you have to file a claim your policy will cover it. While this can cost more, it can make a huge difference when you need it most.
An independent insurance agent can help you find the right car insurance for your needs and budget. Here, we’ll explain some important facts about car insurance in Connecticut.
Best Car Insurance Companies in Connecticut
There are many insurance companies in Connecticut from whom you can purchase car insurance. Which is the best one for you? We’ve selected some of the best car insurance companies in Connecticut to help you get started. Perhaps one of these top carriers will be the best for your needs.
- Best Connecticut Car Insurance Company Overall: Amica
- Best Connecticut Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: Nationwide
- Best Connecticut Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: Amica
- Best Connecticut Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: USAA
- Best Connecticut Car Insurance Company for Accident History: USAA
An independent insurance agent in Connecticut can help you determine if any of these companies have the right car insurance policy for your needs and budget.
Best Connecticut Car Insurance Company Overall: Amica
Our pick for the best overall car insurance company in Connecticut is Amica. Amica’s car insurance ranks high for claims satisfaction and customer service. What’s more, Amica offers a wide range of coverage options, including roadside assistance, gap insurance, glass coverage, and rental reimbursement. The company also offers accident forgiveness, which protects policyholders from price hikes after an at-fault accident.
Amica was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. In addition to offering car insurance in every state except for Hawaii, Amica also offers home, marine, personal umbrella, and life insurance.
Amica is owned by its policyholders and provides dividends to policyholders based on the company’s financial success. These dividend policies can return up to 20% of premiums to policyholders.
As of 2021, Amica had $5.8 billion in assets and over 1.4 million policies in force. It is currently rated "A+" (Superior) for financial stability by AM Best.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy|
Best Connecticut Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: Nationwide
If you’re looking for minimum liability coverage, Nationwide is a top choice for Connecticut residents. It is a good option for people who want a simple, no-frills policy. The company also offers numerous ways to save including a wide range of available discounts.
Connecticut drivers can purchase a minimum coverage policy from Nationwide for around $61 per month, on average.
Founded in 1926 as the Farm Bureau Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, Nationwide today is one of the largest insurance and financial services corporations in the world. Nationwide offers a variety of personal and business insurance products. The company is financially stable, earning A+ ratings from AM Best and Standard & Poor’s.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability Policy|
Best Connecticut Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: Amica
The best car insurance company in Connecticut for full coverage is Amica. The insurance company offers full coverage policies with premiums averaging around $94 per month.
Drivers looking to max out their coverage can choose from a wide range of options and can even buy up to Amica’s Platinum Choice package, which offers glass repair without a deductible, credit monitoring services, new car replacement coverage, and rental car coverage with no daily limit. These options, paired with excellent customer service and satisfaction ratings, make Amica a top choice for Connecticut drivers looking for full coverage auto insurance.
Amica was founded in 1907 and is headquartered in Rhode Island. It offers car insurance as well as other types of personal insurance in every state except Hawaii.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy|
Best Connecticut Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: USAA
Drivers between ages 16 and 25 typically pay very high car insurance rates because of the extra risk presented by their inexperience behind the wheel. While insuring a teen driver is never cheap, USAA is one of the best insurance companies for teen drivers in Connecticut.
Car insurance for young drivers in Connecticut can cost around $361 per month with USAA. The company also offers a good student discount so students with good grades can save on their car insurance.
USAA was founded in 1922 by 25 Army officers who decided to insure each other's vehicles. Over time, the organization grew to serve millions in the military community, offering a variety of personal insurance products as well as other financial products and services.
USAA’s net worth has surpassed $40 billion. The carrier has more than 13 million members and 37,000 employees. USAA consistently receives high marks for financial stability, including an A++ rating from AM Best, the highest available.
Unfortunately, not everyone can take advantage of USAA’s superior performance. Only active duty and retired military members and select family members are eligible for USAA membership and insurance coverage.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Young Drivers||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Young Drivers|
Best Connecticut Car Insurance Company for Accident History: USAA
Your driving record is one of the most important factors in what you pay for car insurance in Connecticut. Every insurance company wants to know if you’ve been at fault for an accident in the past in order to determine how risky you might be to cover.
In these cases, USAA again earns a spot on our list of top picks. USAA is one of the best Connecticut car insurance companies for drivers with an accident history. The company is highly-rated for its customer service and for offering affordable policies for drivers with bad records. If you’ve had an at-fault accident, you can get a car insurance policy in Connecticut for about $153 per month.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Drivers with Accident History||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Drivers with Accident History|
Connecticut Car Insurance Requirements
Drivers in Connecticut must purchase a car insurance policy that meets the state's minimum coverage requirements. In Connecticut, you must have the following coverage, at a minimum, in order to comply with state law and avoid penalties.
- Bodily injury liability coverage: Protects you if you injure or kill someone else while driving your car. It covers an injured party's claims for damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. It also covers your legal defense fees if another party involved in the accident sues you. In Connecticut, you must have this coverage in the amount of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident, at a minimum.
- Property damage liability coverage: Pays for any damage that you cause to the property of others (e.g., another driver’s car) and for your legal defense if you are sued. In Connecticut, you must have this coverage in the amount of at least $25,000 per accident.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Protects you if you are hit by a hit-and-run driver or a driver who does not have auto liability coverage. It takes the place of liability insurance that the other driver should have but does not. In Connecticut, you must have uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage in the amount of $25,000 per person, and $50,000 per accident.
Optional car insurance coverages in Connecticut include:
- Underinsured motorist coverage: Protects you if another motorist is at fault for a collision but does not have enough insurance to cover your losses.
- Medical payments coverage: Helps pay for medical, dental, and funeral expenses for you or your passengers, regardless of who is at fault for an accident.
- Collision coverage: Covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a hailstorm or theft.
- Roadside assistance coverage: Pays for help if you are locked out of your vehicle, run out of gas, or face some other type of problem while out on the road. Your insurance company will help you contact tow trucks, locksmiths, or other forms of assistance as needed, and will reimburse you for the costs of these services up to certain limits.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: Provides payment for a rental car if your vehicle is damaged and you must rent a vehicle while it is being repaired.
- Loan/lease or gap coverage: Pays the difference between what you owe on a vehicle and its cash value if it is totaled.
An independent insurance agent in Connecticut will help you find a car insurance policy that includes the coverage you need.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Average Cost of Car Insurance in Connecticut
The average cost of car insurance in Connecticut is $1,690 per year, which is more than the national average of $1,311 per year. Everyone’s car insurance costs are a little different depending on your personal risk factors (e.g., your age, gender, accident history, etc.) and the types and amounts of coverage you select. You can find ways to reduce your car insurance costs in Connecticut by taking advantage of car insurance discounts that you may be eligible for.
Average Connecticut Car Insurance Costs by City
The city you live in is one of the most important factors in what you’ll pay for car insurance in Connecticut. This is because the city’s crime rate, severe weather frequency, traffic density, and more can all impact how at-risk you and your car are for being in an accident, being stolen, or being subject to some other kind of damage (e.g., hail damage).
Waterbury has the costliest car insurance in Connecticut at an average of $1,906 per year, or $158 per month. Not coincidentally, Waterbury has a higher rate of auto theft than most other cities in the state. Conversely, Meriden residents pay much less for car insurance, on average, in a city where the car theft rate is also much lower.
Finding Car Insurance Discounts in Connecticut
One of the best ways to save on car insurance in Connecticut is to make sure that you take advantage of any car insurance discounts for which you may be eligible. One of the most common discounts is the multi-policy discount, which rewards you with savings if you have more than one policy with the same carrier (e.g., home and auto). Some of the common auto insurance discounts offered in Connecticut include the following:
- Student driver discounts: If you have a student driver in your household, you may be able to take advantage of a good student discount if your child gets a B average or better. Many insurance companies also offer away-at-school discounts for students who won’t be using their parents’ cars while they are away at school. Your young driver may also be able to receive a discount by participating in an insurance-company-approved or sponsored safe driving course.
- Safe driver discount: Drivers who maintain a clean driving record over a period of time may be able to receive an ongoing discount from their insurance company.
- Anti-theft device discount: Some insurance companies offer discounts when your car has certain anti-theft devices installed.
- Military discount: Active or retired members of the military can often qualify for auto insurance discounts.
- Paperless billing discount: Many insurance companies offer a discount for policyholders who agree to receive paperless billing statements.
- Other car insurance discounts: Being a member of a particular group, such as an employment union, may make you eligible for a car insurance discount specifically for members.
Your independent insurance agent in Connecticut can help you find all of the car insurance discounts that you qualify for.
How to Find the Best Car Insurance Quote in Connecticut
Finding the best car insurance quote in Connecticut requires comparing several insurance companies and making an informed choice. But you don’t have to go it alone. An independent insurance agent in Connecticut can help you obtain and review quotes from multiple insurance companies and choose the one that offers the best coverage for your needs and budget. An independent agent works for you, free of charge, to help you through the process.
How to File a Car Insurance Claim in Connecticut
Filing a car insurance claim in Connecticut is always going to be a little stressful. But if you know what to do in advance, it can help the process to go more smoothly. If you’re in a car accident, here are some tips for filing your insurance claim:
- Check for and tend to injuries: Check yourself, your passengers, and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. Seek immediate medical treatment for anyone who is injured.
- Call the police: Filing a police report ensures that your accident is on the record and all appropriate information has been collected. That way, your insurance company will have a reliable source for information about the details of your accident.
- Contact your independent insurance agent: Your Connecticut independent insurance agent can get the process started by connecting you with your insurance company, or by even filing the claim for you. Your agent can guide you throughout the claims process.
- Schedule an appointment with an adjuster: Your insurance company is likely to want to evaluate the damage before you seek repairs for your car. That means you’ll probably need to set up an appointment with an adjuster who works for your carrier.
- Get repairs: If necessary, get your vehicle repaired by a reputable auto body shop or by a shop recommended by your insurance company.
- Get a rental vehicle: If you’re without your car for a while as its being repaired, consider getting a rental vehicle. If you have rental reimbursement coverage, you’ll have some help paying for the cost of your rental car.
An independent insurance agent in Connecticut can help you through the claims process and answer your questions about how best to file your claim.