Bridgeport, CT, is officially known as "The Park City" due to its renowned park system. Home to a major seaport, this place has a lot of history.
When you live in this industry-driven town, you'll need insurance for your home. A local independent insurance agent can supply the protection you need for a fair price. Discover how an independent insurance agent can help you find a reliable policy.
Property Crimes in Bridgeport, CT
Bridgeport's crime rate is usually outside of your control. Local crime, along with other factors, is used when determining your home premiums. Let's look at the numbers:
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in the US: 376
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in CT: 222.5
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in Bridgeport: 400.5
The city of Bridgeport has a higher burglary rate per 100,000 households than the state and national figures. This could mean your homeowners insurance costs will be more expensive. To know how local crime will impact your pricing, get quotes from an independent agent.
Natural Disasters in Bridgeport, CT, and Your Home Insurance
The majority of homeowners policies will name the perils it protects you from. These will include fire, theft, catastrophe, and severe weather. There are some exceptions you need to be aware of when shopping for insurance. Let's take a look at catastrophic events that occur in Bridgeport:
- The average number of tornadoes: 2
- The most common natural disaster: Hurricanes
- The number of claims paid in 2016: 536,638,000
- The number of federally declared catastrophes since 1953: 36
Your home policy needs to be accurate and have sufficient coverage from the beginning. The last thing you want is to be in the middle of a claim and find that your policy won't respond.
Top five property risks in Bridgeport:
#1 - Floods
#2 - Storms
#3 - Hurricanes
#4 - Snowstorms
#5 - Blizzards
What about flood damage?
With the number one risk exposure in Bridgeport flooding, you'll need flood insurance. A separate policy is necessary because your home coverage excludes flood damage.
To get proper flood protection, do this:
- Contact your independent agent
- Determine the flood zone with your agent
- Have your agent quote flood insurance
- Obtain coverage through the best option presented by your agent
Since every property is at risk for flooding, it's worth the cost. Contact your local independent agent on flood insurance for your home.
Liability Insurance in Bridgeport, CT
The majority of carriers require liability when insuring your home. Your mortgage company will also need proof of liability and dwelling coverage to get a loan. Some instances where your liability would apply:
- Slander caused by a member of the household
- A dog bite injury to another party
- Damage to another person's property
- Bodily injury to another person on your property
Umbrella insurance is another coverage that you may want to consider. It will supply the protection for those liability claims that exhaust your underlying home limits. This can occur in a larger loss. Coverages usually start at $1,000,000 and go up from there. Connect with your independent agent on liability insurance options.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
The Cost to Insure a Home in Bridgeport, CT
Your home specifications and personal data will determine the price you pay. To get a better idea of what premiums look like, see below:
- National average: $1,211
- Connecticut average: $1,479
Your home insurance premiums could be higher or lower than the above figures. When you are aware of the factors the carriers use, you may be able to lower your rates:
- Your credit score
- Year, square footage, and construction type of your home
- The replacement cost of your home
- Coverage selected
- Carrier discounts
- Your insurance score
- The local crime rate
Connecticut has the eleventh highest home premiums in the nation. This could mean your rates may be a bit higher because of where you live. Exact premiums can be quoted through your independent agent today.
How to Insure an Airbnb in Bridgeport, CT
Since tenants will occupy the property, the insurance carriers take that risk into account. They will charge a higher premium to make up for any future losses due to vacancy or third parties. The rental homeowner policy types are below:
- Landlord insurance: This will insure the replacement cost of the home and your interests as the owner. Loss of use coverage will help cover the mortgage when a claim occurs and your losing occupancy.
- Vacation home insurance: This will insure your home away from home. Given the property will be occupied less throughout the year, the carriers charge accordingly. This policy will provide similar coverage as your primary home insurance, but could be higher priced.
Connect with a local independent agent in Bridgeport to get the rental coverage your property can use.
An Independent Insurance Agent in Bridgeport, CT
You'll want a trusted adviser to help find the best policy for your home. A Bridgeport independent insurance agent works with several carriers, giving you options.
They can shop the local markets to find coverage and pricing that fits your needs. Go to TrustedChoice.com to find an agent and get started on better insurance.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.