When you live and work in Smyrna, you enjoy some of the best views in Delaware. Settled on the banks of Duck Creek, this city offers a small-town vibe and a tight-knit community that is a rare gem in today’s busy world. Despite the quaint feel of the downtown area, Smyrna, DE is actually the fifth largest and fastest-growing municipality in the state, and it’s a perfect place to start a business.
In 2014, there were 73,934 small businesses in Delaware, providing jobs to 168,335 people. During the same year, these businesses were paid $1,394,543 for losses. Owning a small business carries a significant risk even in the optimal economic climate of Smyrna, so make sure you’re covered with the best business insurance policy. Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our search engine will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Liability insurance is a must-have for businesses of all sizes, but it’s particularly important if your company is small. All it takes is one lawsuit to cause a shockwave of hardship for a small business. Make sure you’re covered with these three layers of liability insurance.
- General Liability: A wet floor could suddenly cost your Smyrna business money if a customer slips and breaks a leg. According to the 2015 Travelers Business Risk Summary, 60 percent of small-business owners ranked medical cost inflation as their highest concern and more than 30 percent said they felt least prepared to handle this issue. Liability lawsuits can be expensive, but general liability coverage protects you against most lawsuits.
- Product Liability: According to a national study, 71 percent of product liability awards and 53 percent of medical malpractice awards by the courts amounted to $1 million or more. Even if you pay close attention to quality control, defective products can slip by occasionally. Make sure you are protected from liability claims with this coverage option.
- Professional Liability: Whether you provide landscaping services, marketing advice or financial planning, you have to think long and hard about your liability risks. If you give bad advice, make a judgment error or accidentally cause someone physical or property damage, you would be liable to pay for the damages.
Business Interruption Insurance for Small Business
- Gross domestic product in 2014: 2.2%
- Delaware gross state product in 2014: 1.6%
- The 2014 GSP was 0.6% lower than the 2014 GDP
Sometimes even the best business plans fail just because of life’s interruptions. Even if your business is on the fast track for success, things can quickly fall apart if a natural disaster causes damage to your office. When eligible interrupting events occur, business interruption insurance repays the lost income at the end of the year so you can keep moving forward in your business plans regardless of what life throws your way.
Property Insurance for Small Business
- Number of natural disasters in 2014: 119
- Only 61% of losses from natural disasters were covered
- Total uncovered property damage in 2014: $9.7 billion
Smyrna has an average of one tornado per year, but it takes only a single twister to do enormous damage to your business property. If this happened to your company, would you be in a financial position to afford repairs? Investing in business property insurance gives you peace of mind that even a major tornado can’t stop your business from success.
Employee Coverages for Small Business
- Total 2013 spending on premiums in Delaware: $240,313
- Ranked 8th for highest premiums in the U.S.
- Annual cost of health care for small businesses in 2013: $6,833/person or $16,102/family
- Average national cost of workers' compensation per employee: $612
When it comes to health care costs, Delaware’s small businesses face an uphill battle. Employee coverages are more expensive in Delaware than in most of the nation, but that doesn’t mean you are stuck paying too much for the benefits your employees need. The Trusted Choice Independent Insurance Agents can help you find the most budget-friendly plans for health care, life insurance and workers' compensation in Smyrna.
Cyber Crime Insurance for Small Business
- 731 Identity theft complaints in Delaware in 2014
- Ranked 21st highest for identity theft complaints in the U.S.
Technology is a focal point of most small businesses, regardless of what industry they serve. We use computers to process payments, track sales, keep up with inventory and do regular accounting. If someone used your sensitive financial information for harm, how would your company recover? Only 22 percent of small businesses have a plan in place to respond to cyber attacks. Make sure you aren’t caught unprepared for this serious situation. Invest in cyber crime insurance for your Smyrna small business.
If you’re ready to start building your customized Smyrna business insurance policy, start with a call to the experienced TrustedChoice.com agents. Our independent insurance agents can provide quotes on multiple policies so you can compare your coverage options and create a personalized plan that is right for your small business. Contact a Trusted Choice agent today to learn more about Smyrna commercial insurance.