Orlando, FL is the largest inland city in the state. It is a centrally located popular tourist destination, and it experiences heavy traffic. Whether you are passing a tractor-trailer while cruising down the Spessard L. Holland Expressway, caught up in traffic on Interstate 4 on your way home from work or driving down East Colonial Drive while out running errands, your risk of a collision increases according to the number of drivers you are sharing the roads with. Fortunately, you don’t need to worry about an accident setting you back financially when you are carrying a suitable Orlando auto insurance policy.
Car insurance is required of vehicle owners in Orlando, but overpaying for it is not. An Independent Insurance Agent in our network can help you find the right policy to meet your coverage needs. Because they are free to work with several different insurance companies, these local agents can provide you with a selection of customized Orlando car insurance quotes. Find an agent near you to learn more.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Florida average cost per year: $1,742
- 5th most expensive auto premium in U.S.
Unfortunately for those looking to buy an Orlando car insurance policy, Florida drivers pay some of the highest car insurance rates in the country. This is due in large part to the large number of vehicular accidents that occur in this state each year. Of course, your actual price for coverage is likely to differ from the numbers shown above because insurance companies calculate costs according to several different variables. These may include such things as the following:
- The ZIP code where you live and park your vehicle
- The make, model and year of the vehicle(s) you are including on your policy
- The age, sex, marital status and driving records of the drivers in your household who will be included on your policy
- The approximate number of miles you drive your vehicle(s) each month
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of liability coverage you wish to include with your policy
- Your desire to purchase comprehensive coverage, uninsured motorist coverage or any other coverage options
- The amount of your deductible
- Your bundling request, i.e., whether you will be bundling your coverage with other policies, such as homeowners or renters insurance
Because so many different considerations go into calculating your Orlando auto insurance rates, you are very likely to get a completely different quote from each insurance provider you request a price from. That is why comparison shopping can help you find the best price for your policy.
Florida Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: not required
- Minimum liability limits: 10/20/10: Coverage up to $20,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $10,000 for one individual, and $10,000 coverage for property damage
The requirements listed above are applicable to most drivers in Florida. However, in this state, drivers who have been convicted of a DUI are responsible for meeting the much higher liability minimum requirements of 100/300/50, and drivers convicted of certain other driving violations may see increased minimum requirements as well.
With those exceptions, Florida has some of the lowest liability coverage requirements in the country. However, if you carry only the minimum coverage and are responsible for a serious collision, your financial responsibilities can very easily exceed what your policy covers. For that reason, it may be a very good idea to purchase as much liability insurance as you can reasonably afford, particularly if you have assets you wish to protect.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Florida
- Number of uninsured U.S. drivers: 12.6%
- Number of uninsured Florida drivers: 23.80%
If you are caught driving without auto insurance that meets or exceeds Florida’s state-mandated requirements, it can result in the suspension of your license plates, registration, and driver’s license until you can provide proof of insurance and have paid a fine ranging from $150 to $500. Despite this, Florida has the second-highest rate of uninsured drivers in the county.
Uninsured drivers put law-abiding citizens like yourself at risk because if they are at-fault for a collision with your vehicle, they are responsible for covering your damage out of pocket. Unfortunately, it can often be difficult or impossible to receive compensation. Unless that is, you have included uninsured motorist coverage with your Orlando auto insurance.
If you have this optional coverage, your insurance company covers your damage upfront and then attempts to collect reimbursement from the offending driver on its own behalf. Uninsured motorist insurance also covers damage and injuries sustained in collisions with hit-and-run drivers.
Number of Auto Thefts in Florida
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Florida number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.48
The rate of car theft in Florida is lower than the national average, but it is actually rather high in Orlando. In previous years, there were 991 car thefts reported in this city. That equates to about 3.82 thefts per every 1,000 cars – well over the national rate. You can protect yourself against financial losses related to property crimes by supplementing your Orlando car insurance policy with comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. This optional insurance offering covers more than just car theft and vandalism; it also compensates you if your car is damaged by such things as falling objects, floods, sink-holes, flying debris and noncollision-related fires.
Find the Orlando Car Insurance Policy That Is Best for You
When you are shopping for Orlando car insurance, you will want to be sure that you are only considering policies from trustworthy providers and that the policy you ultimately choose is one that is offered at a reasonable price. Comparison shopping may help you find the most affordable policy, but many people skip this important step because they find it to be too time-consuming and inconvenient. That is why it is beneficial to enlist the help of a local insurance agent in our network. These independent agents make it easy to gather, review and compare costs from a variety of highly-rated insurance companies.
Find an agent near you to get started, and discover how easy it can be to compare customized Orlando auto insurance quotes.