It's no surprise that Hawaii consistently ranks in lists of the 10 most beautiful states in America. From beautiful islands and crystal clear waters to breathtaking mountainscapes, Hawaii is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. With an active tourist economy, there's a constant flow of visitors to the island.
For residents of the state, this can prove dangerous, as visiting drivers don't know the roads. For motorcyclists, this can be especially dangerous, which is why having motorcycle insurance is crucial for riders in Hawaii. This insurance can protect motorcycle owners from many of the risks they face while on the road.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Motorcycle Statistics in Hawaii
- There were 41 fatalities involving motorcycled in Hawaii during 2013.\
- Motorcycle fatalities have been on the rise every year.
- The majority of motorcycle fatalities involved riderd agds 20-29.
- Twenty-nine drivers in fatal accidents during 2013 were not wearing helmets.
It's no surprise that riding a motorcycle carries a higher risk of accidents than riding in a passenger vehicle, which is one reason why the state of HI requires that motorcycle riders carry the following insurance:
- $20,000 for bodily injury per person
- $40,000 for total bodily injury
- $10,000 for property damage
These insurance requirements not only protect you, they also work to protect others on the road so that when an accident occurs, the financial impact is surmountable.
What Types of Motorcycles Can Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
Insurance companies know that not all all motorcyclists the same. The risks you may face on your sport bike aren't the same as someone who rides a chopper. The following is a list of motorcycle types that can easily be covered with motorcycle insurance in HI:
- Racing motorcycles
- Sport bikes
- Dirt Bikes
- Touring bikes
While this covers the majority of motorcycles, if you own a motorcycle outside of the types listed above, contact an insurance agent in order to get the most accurate quote for you and your motorcycle.
What Does a Motorcycle Insurance Policy Cover?
A motorcycle insurance policy in HI is designed to cover all of the most common incidents that can occur while riding your motorcycle. A typical motorcycle insurance policy may include:
- Property liability insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace the other party's property if you are found at fault for an accident.
- Bodily injury liability insurance: If you are found at fault for an accident which causes bodily harm, this coverage can help cover the costs of the medical care.
- Collision: This insurance covers your motorcycle in the event of an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
- Medical payments: This optional coverage is designed to help cover any medical expenses you may incur stemming from a motorcycle accident.
- Comprehensive: This insurance, known as "other than collision," covers events such as theft, arson, wind-related events and vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists: Unfortunately, not everyone carries insurance. If you're involved in an accident with someone who is uninsured or underinsured, this coverage can be critical in helping you get the funds you need to repair your bike or pay medical expenses.
- Roadside assistance: Emergencies happen. This coverage allows you to rest assured that if you have a flat tire or need a tow, you can get the help you need.
What Does a Motorcycle Insurance Policy Quote Look Like in HI?
The cost of a motorcycle insurance policycan vary greatly depending on a number of factors. When you're shopping online or in person for motorcycle insurance, make sure to be familiar with the following:
- Type of motorcycle
- Value of motorcycle
- Age of motorcycle
- Horsepower of motorcycle/top speed
- Where motorcycle will be ridden
- Where motorcycle will be stored
- Your driving record
- Preferred coverages
- Preferred deductibles
These factors, plus more, will all be used to give you a motorcycle insurance quote.
Are Discounts Available on Motorcycle Insurance?
Just like many other insurance policies, discounts are available on motorcycle insurance policies. The most common discounts include:
- Multi-policy discount
- Lay-up policy disount
- Paid in full discount
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Industrial/professional affiliation discount
- Good driver discount
Each insurance company offers different discounts, so when getting quotes, be sure to ask about all available discounts to ensure that you get the best price possible.
Getting Your Motorcycle Covered Is Simple
When it comes to motorcycle insurance, insurance companies want to make it as easy and effortless as possible. A Trusted Choice® agent can help you find the best coverage at the right price. A Trusted Choice agent is always available to help answer questions, modify coverages, or even help you file a claim.