Tinley Park is a fast-growing suburb of Chicago that is frequently cited as one of the safest and best places in the US to raise a family. In any growing and dynamic city, congested roads and frequent car accidents can be a serious problem. But with the help of an independent insurance agent, Tinley Park drivers can find car insurance that tackles their risks and protects their families.
An auto insurance policy helps you recover financially after an auto accident. It pays for repairs to damaged cars, and can even help you replace a totaled vehicle. And if you’re at fault, it can help you reimburse other drivers for any vehicle damage or injuries that you caused. Independent insurance agents make shopping for the right car insurance policy easy. They can work with multiple insurance companies, so you can compare quotes and make sure you are getting the high-quality, best-value coverage you desire.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Illinois?
Illinois car owners are required to purchase auto insurance. But this isn’t the only reason to have car insurance. Without it, you are entirely unprotected from the financial consequences of causing a crash. The following are the minimum coverage requirements for Illinois drivers:
- Liability insurance, which covers bodily injury and property damage to third parties for accidents that you cause and are determined to be at fault for
- Bodily injury (BI) liability coverage of at least $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
- Property damage (PD) liability coverage of at least $20,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist coverage (UM), which pays for your own medical expenses that the other driver would have been liable for if they had car insurance
- At least $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
- Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM), which pays for your expenses when the at-fault driver has car insurance but it is insufficient to cover your expenses. This coverage is optional in Illinois. But it becomes mandatory when you choose to purchase UM coverage limits that are higher than the state minimum (25/50).
The minimum amount of liability coverage required by the state may not be enough after a serious crash. Talk to your insurance agent about the importance of purchasing higher liability insurance limits. If you don’t have enough coverage, you’ll have to pay out-of-pocket for all of the expenses that exceed your policy limits. And if you’re sued for additional damages, the costs may be insurmountable.
What Else Can a Tinley Park Car Insurance Policy Cover?
Insurance companies also offer several types of optional coverage in addition to what is required by the state. You can choose the options that are most necessary for your needs.
- Collision coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle sustained in a collision, regardless of who was at fault. Lenders typically require this coverage if you are still paying for your car, and dealerships are likely to require it if you are leasing your car.
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers the cost to repair vehicle damage caused by non-collision events such as floods, fires, falling objects (e.g., trees), and property crimes (theft, vandalism). Lenders typically require this coverage if you are still paying for your car, and dealerships will probably require it if you are leasing your car.
- Medical payments, or personal injury protection (PIP): Pays for your own medical expenses following an accident, even if you are at fault.
- Towing and roadside assistance: Covers the cost of a service call if your vehicle becomes disabled while it is out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement coverage: Pays for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
A local independent insurance agent can help you learn more about these coverage options.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Tinley Park, IL?
Illinois is the 29th most expensive state for car insurance, and rates in Tinley Park are lower than both the state and national averages.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Illinois average annual car insurance cost: $1,079
- Tinley Park average annual car insurance cost: $846
Car insurance is a necessity for Tinley Park drivers, but don’t settle for a one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to your car insurance rates. Your car insurance costs are based on your unique characteristics, such as where you live, the make and model of your car, and how far you drive to work or school every day. By evaluating quotes from multiple insurance companies, you can be sure you are picking the best coverage for your needs at the right price. An independent insurance agent can tell you about the cost and coverage options that are available to you and can help you find ways to save.
Why Get Coverage against Uninsured Motorists in Tinley Park?
Driving without insurance is against the law in Illinois, yet many drivers continue to drive without coverage.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 12.6%
- How many Illinois drivers are uninsured? 13.7%
Drivers without insurance cannot pay for accidents that they cause. That means that other drivers on the road are financially responsible for an uninsured driver’s mistakes. Uninsured motorist coverage pays for medical bills and vehicle damage if an uninsured driver hits you. It is required coverage in Illinois.
Can Car Insurance Cover Vehicle Thefts in Tinley Park?
The auto theft rate across the state of Illinois is lower than the national average. Auto theft is a rare event in Tinley Park.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Illinois auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.56
- Tinley Park auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.45
While your car is pretty safe from theft in Tinley Park, remember that cars can be stolen anywhere. No matter where you live, be sure to use common sense deterrents to protect your car from theft. If you have a Tinley Park auto insurance policy, you can be sure that if your car is stolen or vandalized, you will receive timely assistance and reimbursement for your stolen or damaged property. An independent insurance agent in Tinley Park can help you review the cost to include this coverage in your policy.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Tinley Park?
Independent insurance agents can get quotes from multiple insurance carriers so you have a variety of affordable options. Independent agents can assess your risks and answer your questions so you can find the coverage that best fits your needs and budget.
Contact a local agent to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.