Decatur, Illinois has a population of around 72,000 residents. For homeowners in this Midwestern city, the costs to repair or replace a damaged residence and belongings after a disaster can be insurmountable. If you are a homeowner in Decatur, the best way to protect your investment in your home is to purchase a reliable homeowners insurance policy. An independent insurance agent can help you obtain an affordable policy with the coverage you need to properly protect your home and your belongings. Independent agents aren’t tied to one insurance company, so they can get competitive quotes and you can make the best choice.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Decatur, IL?
Illinois is the 28th most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average cost of homeowners coverage in Decatur is lower than both the state and national averages.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Illinois average yearly premium: $1033
- Decatur average yearly premium: $845
Everyone’s homeowners insurance rates are a little different. Insurance premiums are based on your individual home’s characteristics and the amount of coverage you need. Depending on the type of home you have, how much it would cost to rebuild it, and a variety of other risk factors that you may have, your Decatur home insurance rates may be more or less than average. Some of the factors used to calculate homeowners insurance rates include:
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, multi-family home, mobile home, townhome, etc.)
- Whether the house you are insuring is your primary residence
- The size, age, and value of your house
- The materials used in your home’s construction
- Your claims history and credit score
- Your coverage limits and the deductible that you choose
- The crime rate and weather risks in your city or ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance
It’s important to shop around to get the best local rates on homeowners insurance. Independent insurance agents can get quotes from multiple insurance companies, so you can compare costs and coverage and make the best choice for your needs and budget.
Homeowners Insurance Covers Your Property
Homeowners insurance protects you from the financial consequences of most property losses you could experience. Whether you have a small fire in your kitchen or you sustain devastating damage after a fire or a storm, your homeowners insurance will help reimburse you for repair costs, lost and damaged possessions, and even living expenses if you can’t live at home while you make repairs. Homeowners in Illinois are not immune to catastrophic natural disasters like tornadoes, severe storms, and floods.
- Number of declared disasters in Illinois: 60
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Illinois: 54
- Average amount of property damage per year in Illinois: $1,958,191,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Remember that flood damage is not covered by your Illinois homeowners insurance policy. You should consider purchasing separate flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Your independent insurance agent can help guide you.
The Importance of Liability Insurance for Decatur Homeowners
Liability insurance is one of the most important parts of any homeowners insurance policy. It protects you when someone claims you have caused an injury or property damage. If someone is injured on your property, you could face a lawsuit from the injured party. Your homeowners liability insurance covers costs related to these types of lawsuits, including medical expenses, court costs, attorney fees, and even any settlements that you have to pay to the injured party.
Does Decatur Homeowners Insurance Offer Burglary Coverage?
The home burglary rate in Illinois is lower than the national average. Unfortunately for Decatur residents, the burglary rate in the city is quite high compared to both the state and national averages.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Illinois: 3.75
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Decatur: 8.66
It’s important for Decatur homeowners to protect their homes and possessions from the costs of break-ins and burglaries. Homeowners insurance is there to help you recover if you experience a devastating property crime. And be sure to always keep safety in mind when it comes to your home. Lock your doors and keep your home well-lit at all times. And if you install a home security system—the best theft deterrent—you can also earn a discount on your homeowners insurance.
A local independent insurance agent can help you be certain that your home and your possessions are properly insured. Expensive jewelry, special collections, artwork, antiques, and other special items often need special endorsements to ensure that they are covered for their full value.
Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes
It’s important to talk to your insurance agent about how to sufficiently insure all of your residential properties. Because second homes often have different risks than primary residences, you might need insurance coverage that is different from a standard home insurance policy. Whether you own a rental property, vacation home, or hunting cabin, you need the right coverage to make sure the property’s unique risks are covered.
- Rental property owners have high liability risks. Landlord insurance can help protect you from the costs of liability claims and lawsuits.
- Thieves and vandals often target homes that are empty for long periods. What’s more, water damage, ice damage, and fires are more common in homes that are only occupied seasonally. Talk to an independent agent to see if vacant home insurance can help in your situation.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Decatur?
The easiest way to find a reliable and affordable homeowners insurance policy is by contacting a local independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so you can be sure that you are receiving trustworthy guidance and the coverage you need.
Contact an agent in Decatur to start comparing customized, competitively priced home insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.