Find the Best Car Insurance Quotes & Options in Indiana
The average price of car insurance in Indiana currently is $1,033 per year. Indiana ranks #41 overall for the most expensive car insurance rates in the nation, or in the top 10 lowest. The current national average cost of car insurance is $1,311 per year, so resident drivers in Indiana can save quite a bit on their coverage. That makes it all the easier for every driver to get the state's minimum-mandated car insurance before they can legally drive on the road.
An Indiana independent insurance agent can find you the right kind of car insurance. They will provide you with options for the best blend of coverage and cost. But for starters, here's a deep dive into car insurance in Indiana.
Best Car Insurance Companies in Indiana
Car insurance is available from many different carriers in Indiana. But not all car insurance companies are created equal. That's why we've made this list of the best car insurance companies in Indiana for you, and broken it down by category and type. We've selected the best Indiana car insurance companies for minimum liability coverage, full coverage, young drivers, drivers with accident histories, and the best overall. Get started by checking out these top Indiana car insurance companies.
- Best Indiana Car Insurance Company Overall: Auto-Owners
- Best Indiana Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: Auto-Owners
- Best Indiana Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: USAA
- Best Indiana Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: Nationwide
- Best Indiana Car Insurance Company for Accident History: Auto-Owners
An Indiana independent insurance agent can help you determine if any of these carriers have the type of car insurance you need.
Best Indiana Car Insurance Company Overall: Auto-Owners
Our first choice for the best Indiana car insurance company overall is Auto-Owners. The company has some of the most affordable car insurance rates in the entire state, regardless of the level of coverage selected. The carrier has consistently high ratings from customers and official agencies alike, easily earning them our top choice in this category.
Founded in 1916, Auto-Owners has more than a century of experience in the insurance industry. A Fortune 500 company, Auto-Owners offers coverage in 26 states across the US. As far as financial size, AM Best places the carrier in the $2 billion or greater category.
Auto-Owners has earned a reputation as a stable insurance company with a strong outlook for the future. AM Best gives Auto-Owners an “A++” rating–the highest available–for financial strength.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy|
Best Indiana Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: Auto-Owners
Our first choice for the best Indiana car insurance company for minimum liability coverage only is Auto-Owners. Auto-Owners makes it easy for drivers to secure an auto insurance policy with only the state's mandated minimum liability coverage. Policy premiums for minimum liability coverage start at just $22 per month from Auto-Owners.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability Policy|
Best Indiana Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: USAA
Our first choice for the best Indiana full-coverage car insurance company goes to USAA. The carrier provides some of the most affordable "full coverage" car insurance around for drivers in Indiana. "Full coverage" auto insurance refers to policies that include the state's minimum required liability coverage in addition to extras like collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, etc. In Indiana, a full-coverage car insurance policy from USAA averages just $1,020 per year.
USAA was founded in 1922 and has more than a century of experience in the industry. The carrier was first created by a group of Army officers who decided to insure each other’s vehicles and has since expanded to servicing millions of customers across the country with a variety of coverage solutions.
Recently, USAA’s net worth surpassed $35 billion. The insurance company has more than 13 million policyholders today and 35,000 employees. USAA has also paid out $2.4 billion in returns to its customers over time. The insurance company is consistently rated highly by major agencies like Moody’s Investors Service and Standard & Poor. AM Best rates the insurance company an "A++," the highest available, in terms of financial strength.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy|
Best Indiana Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: Nationwide
Our first choice for the best Indiana car insurance company for young drivers, including teens and students, goes to Nationwide. Nationwide offers several discounts for young drivers and families with student drivers on their policies. Car insurance rates from Nationwide annually average just $1,553 per year for female teens and $1,702 per year for male teens.
First founded in 1925, Nationwide has been in the insurance industry for almost a century. The insurance company has grown from a small car insurance company to one of the largest insurance and financial services companies across the world. Nationwide now has more than 10,000 employees.
For financial size, AM Best places Nationwide in the $2 billion or greater category. AM Best also awards Nationwide an "A+" or superior rating overall for financial strength. Nationwide also earned an impressive 876 out of 1,000 points on J.D. Power's Customer Satisfaction Survey recently.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Young Drivers||Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Young Drivers|
Best Indiana Car Insurance Company for Accident History: Auto-Owners
Our first choice for the best Indiana car insurance company for drivers with accidents on their records is Auto-Owners. Though being involved in just one accident can cause a driver's car insurance rates to increase quite a bit, Auto-Owners helps keep coverage for Indiana drivers affordable. Average car insurance rates for drivers with accident histories start at $104 per month from Auto-Owners.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Drivers after an Accident||Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Drivers after an Accident|
Indiana Car Insurance Requirements
You're required to carry car insurance no matter where you live. In Indiana, drivers must carry at least minimum liability coverage to avoid penalties. All drivers in Indiana must carry the following coverage before they can hit the road:
- Bodily injury liability: In Indiana, this coverage is required in the amounts of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. Coverage pays the costs of medical treatment for another driver and their passengers after an accident you're at fault for.
- Property damage liability: In Indiana, this coverage is required in the amount of $25,000 per accident. Coverage pays the costs of repairs to a third party's personal property, like a vehicle, fences, etc., if you damage it with your car.
Optional car insurance coverages in Indiana:
- Rental car reimbursement: Pays for a rental car after a covered accident.
- Roadside assistance: Pays for towing services if you break down on the side of the road.
- Comprehensive coverage: Pays for expenses after incidents of threats other than collision, including incidents with large animals, windshield breaks, and more.
- Collision coverage: Pays for damage to your own vehicle after an accident you're at fault for.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Pays for damage to your vehicle or medical treatment if another driver causes a collision and doesn't have any or enough insurance of their own.
- Personal injury protection: Pays for your own medical expenses after an accident you're at fault for.
- Gap coverage: Pays the difference between what your vehicle is worth and what you owe on your remaining vehicle loan after a collision.
An Indiana independent insurance agent will make sure you get set up with a car insurance policy that includes everything you need.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Average Cost of Car Insurance in Indiana
The average cost of car insurance per year in Indiana is just $1,033. This is quite a bit cheaper than the current national average of $1,311 annually. But your car insurance rate can vary depending on the carrier you buy coverage from. Car insurance premiums also vary depending on your car's value, your driving record, your credit score, and other factors. Full coverage auto insurance in Indiana starts at about $85 per month from affordable carriers like USAA.
Average Indiana Car Insurance Costs By City
Car insurance premiums vary not only by state, but by city, as well. An area's risk of storm damage, as well as its local traffic rates, crime rates, car values, and more all impact the cost of car insurance there. But in Indiana, drivers in Fort Wayne pay about $1,288 per year for car insurance, which is the highest rate in the state. On the other hand, drivers in Westfield pay just $814 per year for car insurance, which is the lowest in the state.
Finding Car Insurance Discounts in Indiana
Typically, you can find several car insurance discount options offered by most carriers. In Indiana, the car insurance discount options available will vary by carrier. You might be eligible to receive one or more of the following common car insurance discounts in Indiana:
- Safe driver discount: Gets awarded to drivers with a clean track record with no accidents or traffic violations over the past few years.
- Military discount: Gets awarded to active or even retired military members.
- Anti-theft devices: Gets awarded to customers whose vehicles are equipped with anti-theft devices that add to its security, such as an alarm.
- Paperless billing: Gets awarded to customers who sign up for paperless billing statements.
- Student driver discount: Gets awarded to customers with households that have a student driver.
- Other discounts: When a customer belongs to a certain organization such as a union, group, or the government, or is a teacher, they may earn an additional discount on car insurance premiums.
An Indiana independent insurance agent can help you save a ton of money on your car insurance premiums by scouting for any discounts you qualify for.
How to Find the Best Car Insurance Quote in Indiana
Working with an Indiana independent insurance agent can ensure that you find the best car insurance quote in Indiana. Since independent insurance agents browse coverage options from tons of different carriers, they're able to present you with only the best results. This means you'll get the quotes that combine the best coverage and cost together. Work together with an Indiana independent insurance agent to find the best car insurance quote in your area today.
How to File a Car Insurance Claim in Indiana
Filing a car insurance claim in Indiana is something that can be handled entirely by an independent insurance agent. However, if you file yourself, the process is still just a few simple steps. Keep these steps in mind if you ever have to file a car insurance claim:
- Contact authorities: Immediately after an accident, make sure to call the police.
- Treat injuries: Now, make sure any injured parties get the treatment they need.
- Call your agent: Contact your Indiana independent insurance agent to get the claims process started.
- Get a rental: Arrange for a rental vehicle from your car insurance carrier if you need one.
- Schedule an evaluation: Schedule a visit with an adjuster from your carrier to assess your vehicle's damage.
Filing car insurance claims in Indiana doesn't have to be difficult. Keep in mind that your Indiana independent insurance agent is also there for you every step of the way.