Elkhart, Indiana is located 24 miles east of South Bend and 110 miles east of Chicago. The Indiana Toll Road, which runs through Elkhart, is one of the busiest interstate highways in the nation, making travel in and around Elkhart dangerous at any time of day. With a responsive car insurance policy, Elkhart drivers can feel more secure as they go about their busy lives.
Car insurance is the best way to protect your assets from the costs of car accidents and other mishaps on the road. Local independent insurance agents make shopping for the right car insurance policy easy. They can work with multiple insurance companies, so you can compare quotes and make sure you are getting the high-quality, best-value coverage you desire.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Elkhart, IN?
Indiana is the 41st most expensive state for car insurance. Average car insurance rates in Elkhart are lower than both the state and national averages.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Indiana average annual car insurance cost: $1,066
- Elkhart average annual car insurance cost: $994
Car insurance is a necessity for all drivers, but don’t settle for a one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to coverage and premiums. Your cost of coverage should be based on your unique characteristics, such as where you live, the make and model of your car, and how far you drive to work or school every day. What’s more, you should evaluate multiple policy options to make sure you are picking the right mix of coverage for your needs, without breaking the bank.
Ultimately, insurance companies base your premiums on how big of a risk you are to insure. Young drivers are less experienced behind the wheel and are considered to be riskier than older, more experienced drivers. Teens and young adults should always expect to pay more for car insurance than older drivers. Fortunately, insurance companies typically offer a variety of discounts to help offset some of the costs for most drivers—even teens. Your independent insurance agent can help you maximize the discounts that you are eligible for.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Indiana?
Indiana drivers are required to purchase auto insurance. But this isn’t the only reason to have car insurance. Without it, you are entirely unprotected from the financial consequences of causing a crash. The following are the minimum coverage requirements for Indiana drivers:
- Liability insurance, which covers bodily injury and property damage to third parties for accidents that you cause and are determined to be at fault for
- Bodily injury (BI) liability coverage of at least $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
- Property damage (PD) liability coverage of at least $25,000 per accident
Auto liability coverage, which pays for car repairs and medical bills for other drivers if you cause an accident, is required for all drivers in Indiana. But the costs of a serious accident can easily surpass the minimum liability insurance limits required by the state. If you don’t have enough coverage, you’ll have to pay out-of-pocket for all of the expenses that exceed your policy limits. And if you’re sued for additional damages, you’ll probably have great difficulty covering the costs. Your independent insurance agent can help you determine which coverage limits are sufficient to best protect you and your family.
What Else Can an Elkhart Car Insurance Policy Cover?
Insurance companies also offer several types of optional coverage in addition to what is required by the state. You can choose the options that are most necessary for your needs.
- Uninsured motorist coverage (UM): Pays for your own medical expenses that the other driver would have been responsible for if they had car insurance.
- Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM): Pays for your expenses when the at-fault driver has car insurance but it is insufficient to cover your expenses.
- Medical payments, or personal injury protection (PIP): Pays for your own medical expenses following an accident, even if you are at fault.
- Collision coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle sustained in a collision, regardless of who was at fault. Lenders typically require this coverage if you are still paying for your car, and dealerships are likely to require it if you are leasing your car.
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers the cost to repair vehicle damage caused by non-collision events such as floods, fires, falling objects (e.g., trees), and property crimes (theft, vandalism). Lenders typically require this coverage if you are still paying for your car, and dealerships will probably require it if you are leasing your car.
- Towing and roadside assistance: Covers the cost of a service call if your vehicle becomes disabled while it is out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement coverage: Pays for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
A local independent insurance agent can help you learn more about these coverage options.
Why Get Coverage against Uninsured Motorists in Elkhart?
Driving without car insurance is against the law in Indiana. Unfortunately, many residents drive without the required coverage.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 12.6%
- How many Indiana drivers are uninsured? 16.7%
Drivers without insurance cannot pay for accidents that they cause. That's where uninsured motorist coverage comes in. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, your insurance company will pay for your covered damage and expenses (up to the policy limits) and may attempt to collect compensation from the offending driver, as well. Uninsured motorist coverage is not required for Indiana drivers.
Can Car Insurance Cover Vehicle Thefts in Elkhart?
Indiana has a lower-than-average auto theft rate. But the rate in Elkhart is higher than both the state and national averages.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Indiana auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.22
- Elkhart auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 4.55
Remember, cars can be stolen anywhere. No matter where you live, be sure to use common-sense deterrents to protect your car from theft. If you have an Elkhart auto insurance policy, be sure to select comprehensive coverage so you can be reimbursed if your car is stolen, vandalized, or damaged by circumstances other than being in a collision (falling tree, storm damage, etc.) An independent insurance agent in Elkhart can help you review the cost to include this coverage in your policy.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Elkhart?
Independent insurance agents can get quotes from multiple insurance carriers so you have a variety of affordable options. Independent agents can assess your risks and answer your questions so you can find the coverage that best fits your needs and budget.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Elkhart to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.