Greenwood, IN is located 11 miles south of downtown Indianapolis. Whether you’re driving on busy I-65 or along Emerson Avenue—or just about anywhere in this bustling suburb—you’re always at risk for a car accident. The emotional and financial consequences of a car accident can be daunting. If you cause an accident, you can expect to pay for all of the damage and injuries for yourself, other drivers, and passengers.
Independent insurance agents can assess the unique risks you face as a driver in Greenwood. A local, friendly agent will work hard to find you a car insurance policy that meets your needs while staying within your budget.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Indiana?
Without car insurance, you are entirely unprotected from the financial consequences of causing a crash. Indiana law requires all vehicle owners to have a minimum amount of coverage, including:
- Liability insurance, which covers bodily injury and property damage to third parties for accidents that you cause and are determined to be at fault for
- Bodily injury (BI) liability coverage of at least $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident
- Property damage (PD) liability coverage of at least $25,000 per accident
It’s important to understand that the minimum auto liability insurance requirements may not be sufficient in all circumstances. If you cause a major collision, the resulting expenses can be insurmountable. Any expenses that exceed your coverage limits must be paid for out of your pocket.
If you are sued for negligence, you’ll have to pay for an attorney and court costs, and you could be required to pay a settlement or judgment to an injured party. With the help of an independent insurance agent, you can assess your risks and determine how much liability coverage is necessary to adequately protect your family.
What Else Can a Greenwood Car Insurance Policy Cover?
Insurance companies also offer several types of optional coverage in addition to what is required by the state. You can choose the options that best fit your needs and cover your risks.
- Uninsured motorist coverage (UM): Pays for your own medical expenses that the other driver would have been responsible for if they had car insurance.
- Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM): Pays for your expenses when the at-fault driver has car insurance but it is insufficient to cover your expenses.
- Collision coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle sustained in a collision, regardless of who was at fault. Lenders typically require this coverage if you are still paying for your car, and dealerships are likely to require it if you are leasing your car.
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers the cost to repair vehicle damage caused by non-collision events such as floods, fires, falling objects (e.g., trees), and property crimes (theft, vandalism). Lenders typically require this coverage if you are still paying for your car, and dealerships will probably require it if you are leasing your car.
- Medical payments, or personal injury protection (PIP): Pays for your own medical expenses following an accident, even if you are at fault.
- Towing and roadside assistance: Covers the cost of a service call if your vehicle becomes disabled while it is out on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement coverage: Pays for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
A local independent insurance agent can help you learn more about these coverage options.
Why Get Coverage against Uninsured Motorists in Greenwood?
Not all drivers purchase car insurance. Unfortunately, if an uninsured driver hits you, you have to pay for your own vehicle damage and your own medical bills.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 12.6%
- How many Indiana drivers are uninsured? 16.7%
You can protect yourself with uninsured motorist coverage. It pays for vehicle damage and medical expenses if you cannot collect from an uninsured driver. Uninsured motorist coverage is not required for Indiana drivers.
Can Car Insurance Cover Vehicle Thefts in Greenwood?
The average auto theft rate in Indiana is lower than the national average. The rate in Greenwood is very low, which is great news for local vehicle owners.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Indiana auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.22
- Greenwood auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.99
Remember that your car can be stolen anywhere you travel, so you’ll still need insurance protection for auto theft even if you live in a very safe city like Greenwood. If your car is stolen, a car insurance policy with comprehensive coverage can help you replace your stolen car as well as any belongings that were inside it.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Greenwood, IN?
Indiana has the 41st most expensive average cost of auto insurance in the U.S. The cost of coverage in Greenwood is lower than both the state and national averages.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Indiana average annual car insurance cost: $1,033
- Greenwood average annual car insurance cost: $940
Your Greenwood car insurance premium is based on how risky you are as a driver. This is determined by evaluating several personal characteristics, or risk factors. Some of the most important risk factors that insurance companies consider are:
- Your age, marital status, and gender
- Where you live
- Your history of accidents and claims
- The make and model of your car
- The number of cars and drivers in your household
Certain factors always work in your favor, while others do not. Male drivers generally pay more than female drivers, and unmarried drivers tend to pay more than married drivers. And young drivers typically pay more than older drivers. Since you can’t control your age or your gender, it’s important to be a safe driver if you want to keep your car insurance rates low.
If you have a clean driving record, insurance companies will charge you less than a similar person (same age, same gender) with a history of citations, accidents, and filing claims. With the help of a local independent insurance agent, you can review quotes from multiple insurance companies and choose the one that offers the best coverage at the best price. Your agent can also help you find other ways to save.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Greenwood?
Residents of Greenwood can work with a local independent insurance agent to find the right car insurance. Independent agents can work with multiple insurance companies so you can compare quotes and choose the best policy for your needs and budget.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Greenwood to learn more.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.