Even the most experienced drivers can sometimes get into accidents. That's why vehicle owners in Mount Sterling are required to have car insurance. From fender benders on Indian Mound Drive to multi-car collisions on I-64, a reliable auto insurance policy can prevent you from facing a large financial loss because of an accident.
Shopping for car insurance is easy when you work with one of Mount Sterling’s independent insurance agents. These agents can help you obtain and compare customized car insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurers. That way, you can be sure you're getting the coverage you need at a competitive price. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Kentucky?
Liability insurance is designed to cover other people’s damage and medical bills if you cause an accident. However, Kentucky is a no-fault state, so the injured person’s own personal injury protection insurance will offer the first line of coverage for medical bills
Kentucky requires your car insurance to include coverage of at least:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $10,000 in property damage liability per accident
- $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) insurance
Some Mount Sterling residents have a lot to lose. That's why many opt to purchase car insurance that has higher-than-required liability limits. Some residents of this city also purchase umbrella insurance in order to get even more liability coverage than their policy will allow. Your local insurance agent can help you find the liability coverage you want at price you can afford.
What Else Can Mount Sterling Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory liability coverage mentioned above, your car insurance provider will also offer a variety of coverage options that you may want to include in your Mount Sterling auto insurance policy. These options include:
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if is it damaged or totaled in a collision, even if the accident was your fault. This coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled due to a non-collision event like a fallen tree or vandalism. This coverage is also typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This covers damage and medical treatment owed to you if you are in an accident that is caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This covers the costs of assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are away from home, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Gap insurance: This covers the gap between what your car is worth and what you currently owe for it in the event that it is totaled. New cars depreciate quickly, so this coverage may be necessary for the first year or so of ownership.
- Rental car reimbursement: This covers the cost of renting a vehicle while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent for help determining which, if any, of these coverage options is a good fit for you.
Why Is Uninsured Motorist Insurance So Important?
Driving without insurance in Kentucky is illegal, and when it comes to enforcement, this state isn’t playing around. Penalties for driving an uninsured vehicle can include fines up to $2,500, up to 180 days in jail, and suspension of your driving privileges for up to two years. Even so, about one in ten drivers on the roads in this state is driving without insurance.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Kentucky drivers who are uninsured: 11.5%
If you are in a collision caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for compensating you and your passengers for resultant damage and necessary medical treatment that go above what your PIP insurance covers. However, this money can be difficult to collect.
Uninsured motorist insurance was created to ensure that you can you receive timely compensation without the need to take legal action against the at-fault driver. After compensating you, your insurance company will try to collect the money owed from the at-fault driver, and will absorb the costs if unsuccessful.
Does Mount Sterling Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in the state of Kentucky is lower than the national rate. And in Mount Sterling, the risk is even lower. Residents of this city report about 15 vehicle thefts every year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Kentucky auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.23
- Mount Sterling auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.11
While it is unlikely that your car will be stolen in Mount Sterling, chances are good that you occasionally drive into more risky areas. You should therefore be aware that you can only get compensation for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers more than just auto thefts. It can also reimburse you for repair costs if your car is damaged in another non-collision event like a flood, garage fire, or hailstorm. Talk to an independent insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to include comprehensive coverage in your Mount Sterling car insurance policy.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Mount Sterling, KY?
The average cost of car insurance in Kentucky is slightly higher than the national average. However, in the city of Mount Sterling, the average cost tends to be lower. This is great news for Mount Sterling vehicle owners who are looking for a car insurance policy at a great price.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Kentucky average annual car insurance cost: $1,341
- Mount Sterling, KY average annual car insurance cost: $1,025
Of course, these average rates can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Car insurance costs vary from one driver to the next because they are based on several different factors. When calculating your rate, insurance companies will take into account such things as:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, marital status, and driving record
- Your claims history and credit score
- Details about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- The size of your deductible
Often, you can get rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies like home insurance or renters insurance. Comparison shopping lets you obtain the coverage you need at the lowest price. Contact an independent agent in Mount Sterling to easily review customized quotes from a variety of highly-rated insurers.
Why Let an Independent Insurance Agent in Mount Sterling, KY Help You?
You can ask a local independent insurance agent for assistance when you are looking for the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they can shop around to find you the coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Mount Sterling to get answers to your insurance-related questions and to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.