The roads in Winchester, KY can sometimes become rather congested with traffic, particularly along Interstate 64 and parts of U.S. Highway 60. Increased traffic can escalate your risk of being involved in a collision. Of course, accidents can happen anywhere, whether you are on a major highway or quiet residential road, so it is important that you protect your finances by carrying a Winchester car insurance policy that meets or exceeds Kentucky’s state-mandated minimums.
Finding a great policy at an affordable price is easy when you work with a local independent agent in our network. These agents can help you determine your coverage needs and then provide you with a selection of suitable Winchester auto insurance quotes from a number of reputable insurers. That way you can choose the policy that offers the best value for your money. Find an agent in or near Winchester to learn more about your coverage options and to find answers to your insurance-related questions.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Kentucky average cost per year: $1,341
- 21st most expensive auto premium in U.S.
As you can see from the averages listed above, auto insurance rates in Kentucky are consistent with national averages. However, these figures can only give you a general idea of what you might expect to pay. Your actual Winchester car insurance rates will depend upon such factors as these:
- The year, make, model and safety features of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- The age, sex and marital status of all licensed drivers in your household
- The driving records and claims histories of licensed drivers in your household
- Your ZIP code and parking location (street, garage, carport, etc.)
- The approximate number of miles you drive each year
- The amount of liability coverage you wish to purchase
- The policy options, if any, that you wish to include in your policy
- The amount of your deductible
- Your qualification for any policy discounts
Every insurance company has a proprietary way of assessing risks and assigning rates. When you compare a selection of quotes, you can find the policy that offers the best value for your money. That is why comparison shopping puts you at an advantage when you are shopping for Winchester car insurance.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Kentucky Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: not required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/10: Coverage up to $25,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $50,000 for one individual, and $10,000 coverage for property damage
Failure to carry auto insurance that meets or exceeds Kentucky’s state-mandated coverage requirements is a Class B misdemeanor. If you are pulled over and cannot produce proof of insurance, the penalties can be tough. You may face fines of up to $1,000; you could be incarcerated for up to 90 days; and/or you may have your license plate suspended. You could also be placed in the “high risk” category of drivers, which can substantially increase your rates for car insurance.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Kentucky
- Number of uninsured U.S. drivers: 12.6%
- Number of uninsured Kentucky drivers: 15.80%
Even though Kentucky imposes rather harsh penalties for driving without insurance, roughly one in six drivers in this state is doing just that. If an uninsured or a hit-and-run driver is responsible for an accident that causes you injuries or property damage, that person is responsible for covering your losses. Unfortunately, you may find it difficult, if not impossible, to collect reimbursement, particularly if the guilty party simply does not have the ability to pay up.
Fortunately, if your Winchester auto insurance policy includes uninsured motorist coverage, this will not be a problem. In that case, your insurance company covers your damage upfront and then attempt to recover the funds from the offending driver on its own. Adding this optional coverage is a great way to protect your finances.
Number of Auto Thefts in Kentucky
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Kentucky number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 1.87
The rate of car theft in the state of Kentucky is lower than the national average, and this is consistent with rates in Winchester. In recent years, there were only 35 auto thefts reported in this city. That equates to about 1.89 thefts per 1,000 vehicles. Of course, your vehicle enables you to travel to many places outside of Winchester, so car theft is a risk you should be prepared for. If your car is stolen, you are entitled to compensation from your insurance company only if your Winchester auto insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) insurance. This insurance option also covers damage caused by such things as falling objects, floods, vandalism and fires (so long as they are not related to a collision).
Find a Winchester Car Insurance Policy
If you are looking for an affordable Winchester auto insurance policy that will provide all the coverage you and your family need, it is to your advantage to work with an independent agent in our network. Because they are not tied to a single insurance company like captive agents are, these agents can shop around and collect a variety of suitable policies for you to compare.
There are several local agents located throughout the state of Kentucky, and some have offices in and near the city of Winchester. Find an agent near you to learn more about your coverage options, and discover how easy it is to save money on your premiums by comparing Winchester car insurance quotes.