Building a great insurance policy that fits into your budget isn't easy for most people. Shopping around is important, but many Central families simply don't have the time to call multiple insurance companies to find the best rate.
When you work with an independent insurance agent, you'll have someone on your side to help you understand Louisiana's car insurance laws. They'll shop dozens of insurance companies for you so you'll get the lowest possible premiums. Reach out to an independent agent in Central today to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Central, LA?
You can expect to pay a bit more for car insurance in Lousiana than the national average. Shopping around is the best way to find the lowest insurance premiums.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Louisiana average annual car insurance cost: $1,405
Your insurance company quotes may differ from each other. Each company has its own method for calculating premiums. They'll take a look at your personal information, including your ZIP code, and calculate your statistical risk of making a claim.
Your rates may be based on this information:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
You may get a discount across all of your policies if you bundle your car insurance with your renters or home insurance. Other discounts, like a safe driving discount or good student discount, may also be available, depending on your situation.
Your agent can help you identify companies that are a good fit for your lifestyle and budget.
What Does Central Car Insurance Cover?
Your auto insurance premium pays for coverage that may include required and optional policies. As a Central resident, you'll need a policy that satisfies Louisiana's minimum auto insurance rules. While you must purchase a certain amount of liability insurance, you aren't required to carry personal injury protection (PIP) or uninsured motorist coverage.
If you have a loan or lease, your bank or dealership may require you to carry comprehensive and collision insurance. Your agent can help you design a policy that meets your needs, keeps you in compliance with the law, and satisfies your lienholder.
Required Insurance Coverage
- Liability insurance: This covers other people’s injuries and damage if you cause an accident. Your policy must include:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of at least $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident.
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $25,000 per accident.
Optional Insurance Coverage
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This pays for medical expenses for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This pays for otherwise non-covered damage and injuries you may suffer if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This pays for necessary assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This pays for the cost of renting a replacement vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Partly Optional Insurance Coverage
- Collision insurance: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a non-collision event such as a flood, falling object, or garage fire.
Your agent will help you compare your options and figure out how much coverage you need. They'll also help you balance the value of your coverage with the amount of money you'll spend to purchase the most important policies.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Central?
In Lousiana, you must have liability insurance coverage if you drive a car. If you don't have it, you could face fines ranging from $100 for a first offense, up to $700 for further offenses.
There are about the same number of uninsured drivers in Louisiana as there are nationwide.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of Louisiana drivers who are uninsured: 13%
Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is optional in Louisiana. However, if you are in a crash with a driver that doesn't have liability insurance, you may get stuck with the repair and medical bills, even if you weren't at fault. Taking the other driver to court to sue for damages may be the only way to get them to pay for your auto repairs and medical costs.
With uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, your repair and medical bills are covered by your insurance company, even if you didn't cause the accident.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Central?
The auto theft rate in Louisiana is lower than the national average.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.37%
- Louisiana auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.21%
The risk that your car will be stolen in Louisiana is low. However, if you are the victim of auto theft, you can only be reimbursed for your car if you have comprehensive auto insurance coverage.
This optional coverage also pays for damage for other covered events that don't fall under your collision policy, such as flooding, fallen trees, hail, or fire.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Central, LA?
Your Central independent insurance agent can help you get the quotes you need from insurance companies to make the right decisions about your auto coverage. They can help you understand how to best satisfy Louisiana's laws about insurance and meet your lender's requirements while staying on budget.
Contact an insurance agent in Central today to get started comparing your customized rates right away.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.