Ruston residents need certain minimum amounts of car insurance coverage to meet Louisiana state law requirements. Building your auto insurance policy isn't as simple as buying the minimum required amount, though.
Independent insurance agents make the process of finding the right car insurance company and designing a policy simple. They understand how to build a policy that works for your budget and is in line with state requirements. Find an insurance agent in Ruston today to learn more about your options.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Ruston, LA?
You'll pay more for auto insurance, on average, in Lousiana than in the rest of the country. Shopping around and getting quotes from multiple insurance companies will help you get the best possible rates.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Louisiana average annual car insurance cost: $1,405
Your quotes will differ, since each insurance company has its own method of calculating premiums. They'll use the following information to figure out your auto insurance rates:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
You could get discounts on your auto insurance rates if you bundle your home insurance or renters insurance with your car insurance. You could also get discounts if you are a student who gets good grades or if you have a safe driving record.
Your Ruston agent can help you compare rates and make sure you get the discounts you deserve.
What Does Ruston Car Insurance Cover?
You have many options when it comes to car insurance. While some coverage is required by the state of Lousiana, other policies are optional. If you have a loan or lease, your lender may require you to carry full coverage insurance on your vehicle.
In Louisiana, you can expect your insurance provider to offer the following types of auto insurance coverage:
Required Insurance Coverage
As a Lousiana resident, you must have a liability policy to cover other people's injuries and damage to their property in case you cause a car accident. Your policy must include at least $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident in bodily injury liability. You'll also need property damage liability coverage of at least $25,000 per accident.
These limits are low, so talk with your agent about extending your protection by increasing your liability limits above the state's requirements.
Optional Insurance Coverage
You don't have to purchase personal injury protection (PIP), uninsured motorist coverage, roadside assistance, or rental reimbursement coverage in the state of Lousiana. These optional policies can help you avoid big repair and medical bills, though.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This policy pays medical bills for you and your passengers if you are in a crash.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist: This policy pays for otherwise non-covered damage and medical costs if you are in a crash with a driver who doesn't have insurance or doesn't have enough coverage.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This policy gets you the help you need to get back on the road if you run out of gas, lock your keys in your car, get a flat tire, or have a mechanical failure that leaves you stranded.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This policy reimburses you for the cost of renting a car if your vehicle is in the shop for repairs after a covered incident.
Partly Optional Insurance Coverage
- Collision insurance: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a crash.
- Comprehensive insurance: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a flood, falling object, or garage fire.
Your agent will walk you through your options and help you determine how much coverage you need and can afford.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Ruston?
Driving without insurance is illegal in Louisiana. You could face fines ranging from $100 for a first offense, up to $700 for further offenses.
There are about the same number of uninsured drivers in Louisiana as there are nationwide.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of Louisiana drivers who are uninsured: 13%
While uninsured motorist coverage isn't required in Ruston, you won't have coverage if a driver who doesn't have the right types and amounts of insurance causes a crash. To get payment for medical costs and car repairs, you will have to take the other driver to court. This can be a time-consuming and expensive process.
Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage allows you to protect your financial interests, even though you can't control the actions of other drivers on the road.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Ruston?
The auto theft rate in Louisiana is lower than the national average.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.37
- Louisiana auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.21
Your statistical risk of being the victim of auto theft in Lousiana is low. Even so, if your car is stolen, you'll only be reimbursed for your loss if you have comprehensive insurance coverage.
This coverage is optional if your car is paid off. It covers damage to your car caused by non-collision events like hail, fire, flooding, and fallen trees.
If you have a loan or lease, you may already have comprehensive coverage. Your agent can help you figure out what your current policy includes. They'll also talk with you about adding coverage that could help you in the long run.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Ruston, LA?
Your agent will help you look for the best car insurance policy from a trustworthy company. There's more to choosing good insurance than just picking the company with the lowest price. When you work with an independent agent in Ruston, you'll get the benefit of their experience while enjoying an ongoing relationship with an expert who's on your side.
Contact a Ruston insurance agent today and get started building your ideal car insurance policy.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.