No matter where you live, you need a solid car insurance policy to protect your financial interests. Residents of Sulphur have a few special considerations that must be addressed, however. Louisiana law states that drivers must carry certain types and amounts of insurance.
When you choose an independent insurance agent in Sulphur, you'll get access to dozens of top-rated insurance companies. Your agent can get multiple quotes for you. They'll make sure you get the coverage you need at a price that works with your budget. Find an insurance agent in Sulphur to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Sulphur, LA?
On average, Louisiana residents pay a bit more for auto insurance than the rest of the country. Shopping around is one way to make sure you get the best possible rates.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Louisiana average annual car insurance cost: $1,405
Your quotes will vary from one insurance company to the next. They may also be higher or lower than Lousiana's average annual premium. Each company uses its own criteria to decide how much to charge for insurance. Your rates may be based on some or all of this information:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you insure
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
You can get discounts for bundling your car insurance policy with your renters insurance or home insurance if your insurance company offers those policy types. You may also be entitled to discounts if you have a good driving record or if you are a student with excellent grades.
Your agent will help you compare prices and policies. They'll let you know if you may be eligible for specific discounts, too.
What Does Sulphur Car Insurance Cover?
Your auto insurance policy will probably be a mixture of required and optional coverage. As a Sulphur resident, you'll have to adhere to Louisiana's laws about minimum liability insurance amounts. You aren't required by the state to purchase uninsured motorist or personal injury protection policies.
If you have a loan or lease on your car, your lender may require you to put a full coverage policy in place that includes comprehensive and collision insurance. Keep this requirement in mind if you are car shopping, too. Full coverage insurance can be significantly more expensive than liability-only policies, which is an unwelcome surprise for drivers on a strict budget.
In Louisiana, you'll probably receive quotes for the following types of auto insurance coverage:
Required Insurance Coverage
- Liability insurance: This covers other people’s injuries and damage if you cause an accident. Louisiana's laws state that drivers who live here must have these minimum amounts of insurance in place:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of at least $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $25,000 per accident.
Optional Insurance Coverage
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This policy pays your medical bills resulting from an accident, no matter who is at fault.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: If you are in an accident that isn't your fault, but the other driver doesn't have enough insurance, this coverage pays to replace or repair your vehicle. It may also cover your medical bills.
- Roadside assistance and towing: If your vehicle is mechanically disabled due to a breakdown, if you get a flat tire, or if you lock your keys in your car or run out of gas, this policy pays for a tow truck or assistance so you can get back on the road.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: If your car will be in the shop for a few days, this coverage pays to rent a car so you'll have something to drive until your vehicle is repaired.
Partly Optional Insurance Coverage
- Collision insurance: This coverage repairs or replaces your car if it's damaged in a crash.
- Comprehensive insurance: This coverage pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost or damaged due to a flood, falling object, or garage fire.
Your Sulphur agent can walk you through your options for both required and optional insurance coverage. They can also help you understand how your choices affect your premiums.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Sulphur?
Driving without insurance is illegal in Louisiana. If caught, uninsured drivers can face fines ranging from $100 for a first offense, up to $700 for further offenses.
There are about the same number of uninsured drivers in Louisiana as there are nationwide.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of Louisiana drivers who are uninsured: 13%
You aren't required by law to have uninsured motorist insurance in your car insurance policy, but there are many advantages to this policy.
If you are in a crash and the other driver isn't insured, you'll have only a few choices. You can take them to court to try to recover damages, or you can pay your medical bills and repair costs out of pocket.
If you have underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage, your insurance company pays for the damage, even if the accident wasn't your fault. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage also pays for damage if you are in a hit-and-run accident.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Sulphur?
The auto theft rate in Louisiana is lower than the national average.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.37
- Louisiana auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.21
The statistical likelihood that your car will be stolen in Louisiana is low. However, you can only be reimbursed after auto theft if you have comprehensive coverage. This optional policy also covers other non-collision damage.
If you have a loan or lease, you may already have comprehensive insurance. Talk with your agent to understand your current coverage and ask them how you can fill in any gaps where you may need financial protection.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Sulphur, LA?
An independent insurance agent in Sulphur has a complete understanding of the local laws about insurance and how they will affect your choices. Independent agents can shop dozens of insurance companies, so you'll get the best possible rates with great coverage.
Discover the benefits of working with a Sulphur agent and get started building your ideal policy, today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.