The fourth-largest city in the state. Lafayette is the center of Cajun culture. This city is famous for its cuisine and is reputed to have more restaurants per person than any other U.S. city. There are many reasons to love this vibrant city and want to make it your home. If you have recently purchased a house here, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a comprehensive Lafayette, LA homeowners insurance policy.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Louisiana
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Louisiana yearly premium average: $1,742
- 2nd most expensive premium in the US
Lafayette Homeowners Insurance Shields You from Liability
One of the most expensive problems that you, as a homeowner, can face is being sued for liability. This can happen if a third-party is injured on your property and you are found responsible due to negligence in upkeep. Some examples include if a guest falls down a flight of stairs because of a loose floor-board, or if a delivery person slips and falls on an icy sidewalk or even if your pets or children injure another or do something that causes excessive property damage.
In most cases, accidents such as these result in minor injuries, but sometimes they can require extensive and long-term medical care. If this happens, you can count on your homeowners insurance policy to shield you from having to pay these excessive expenses fully out of pocket. Your homeowners liability insurance will even cover the court costs and legal fees that are associated with a covered event.
Number of Catastrophes in Louisiana:
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Louisiana: 369
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Louisiana: 29
- National property damage from weather: $5,511,270,000
- Proper damage from weather in Louisiana: $10,240,000
Lafayette Homeowners Insurance Covers Weather Damage
When the forces of Mother Nature cause damage to your home, you will be glad you have a fully comprehensive Lafayette homeowners insurance policy. Most weather-related property damage in this city is caused by the following:
- Heavy winds: Hurricanes and tropical storms that blow in from the Gulf of Mexico can bring with them heavy and damaging winds. These winds can blow roofs off homes, destroy windows and damage your property.
- Floods: Though this city sits on higher ground than most of Louisiana, and is, therefore, less likely to flood, hurricanes and tropical storms can also bring heavy downpours onto already water-drenched ground. This, in turn, can bring about excessive flood damage. Your Lafayette homeowners insurance will not cover flood damage but you can purchase a low-cost flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program, or NFIP.
- Hailstorms: Hailstorms occur periodically in Lafayette. In most cases, the hailstones are less than 1 inch in diameter, but when they are larger, they can cause a great deal of damage to windows and roofs.
A comprehensive Lafayette homeowners insurance policy coupled with NFIP-backed Louisiana flood insurance should be sufficient to protect you from the financial hardships that can be brought on by weather-related damage to your home.
Number of Thefts in Louisiana:
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Louisiana number of burglaries: 41,184
If your home is broken into and burglarized, you are apt to lose a lot of expensive property and may even be faced with repair expenses if a door or window was broken during the course of the robbery. Your Lafayette homeowners insurance policy can provide you with compensation for your losses. There are several different property crimes that fall under the category of theft, but burglary is the one that most concerns homeowners.
You are strongly advised to remain vigilant and keep your home secured, preferably with a deadbolt lock. If you do happen to become a victim of burglary, first attend to your own safety and then contact your local police department to file a report. Afterward, compile a listing of everything that was taken and contact your homeowners insurance company so that they can start working on your claim.
Find a Great Rate for Lafayette Homeowners Insurance
Insurance experts typically recommend that you obtain a minimum of three insurance quotes before purchasing any insurance product. This allows you to assess whether the policy you are selecting offers adequate coverage and comes at a reasonable rate. Unfortunately, obtaining these quotes can often be time-consuming because you will have to provide each company with a large amount of personal information before they can give you an accurate quote.
You can save time and money by allowing an independent agent in our network to do your comparison shopping for you. These agents can use their relationships with several different insurance companies to quickly provide you with a variety of competitively priced policies that meet your coverage needs.
Find an agent in your neighborhood and start comparing Lafayette home insurance quotes today.