Are you looking to lower your homeowners insurance premiums or looking for better homeowners insurance coverage? How much do you currently pay for homeowners insurance? Whether you have lived in Sulphur all your life or moved here recently for a new job opportunity, if you just bought a new home, you definitely need a reliable homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you find a great homeowners insurance policy at the right price for your Sulphur, LA home. Find an independent insurance agent near you to learn more today.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover in Sulphur, LA?
So, what exactly does homeowners insurance cover? Homeowners insurance provides coverage in the following six categories:
- The dwelling, which is the main house, and anything directly attached to it, such as a garage.
- Other structures that are not attached to the house, such as detached garages, fences, sheds, or guesthouses.
- Personal property, including furniture, appliances, electronics, and clothing. Curiously, the policy also covers property lost or damaged off-site such as at a storage facility or even with your child at college.
- Liability costs if someone is injured on your property.
- Medical bills if someone is injured on your property or injured by your pets.
- Loss of use coverage, which helps cover living expenses while the home is being repaired.
What Is Personal Liability Insurance and Why Do You Need It?
If you (or a member of your household) by accident harm a third party or damage their property, personal liability insurance has you covered. It is known as “third-party insurance,” because it covers you in case of a third-party complaint against you.
Personal liability insurance is an essential coverage option to have as it pays for a legal defense in the event of a lawsuit. It also pays medical and/or property claims for which you are found legally responsible, up to the limits of your homeowners insurance policy.
If you find it necessary to add higher personal liability limits than your current homeowners insurance policy allows, your representative can help you find a fairly priced umbrella insurance policy. Umbrella insurance is a reasonably priced way to boost all your personal liability coverage needs.
A few cases in which personal liability coverage might protect you include the following:
- You got mad at a game and threw your game controller at the neighbor’s outdoor television and broke it.
- Your child ran over the neighbor’s ladder, knocking him off and breaking his arm.
- You set the hot water heater too high, causing it to blow up and land in the neighbor’s pool.
An independent insurance agent in Sulphur, LA can help you obtain the personal liability insurance options you most need.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Sulphur, LA?
The typical price of homeowners insurance in Louisiana is much higher than the national average, which is why it is imperative to shop around and compare rates.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Louisiana average yearly premium: $1,968
- Home insurance paid out equal to $711,090,000
Averages only give you a rough idea of the annual costs for homeowners insurance. Homeowners insurance rates can vary from one homeowner to another , because rates are determined according to several of the following factors:
Reviewing home insurance rates allows you to select the homeowners policy that offers the best insurance coverage to meet your needs, at the most reasonable price. Independent insurance agents in Sulphur, LA make comparison shopping effortless.
Does Sulphur, LA Homeowners Insurance Cover against Catastrophic Events?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the perils you face as a homeowner in Sulphur, LA. This includes a wide variety of catastrophic events such as severe storms and lightning damage.
Be sure you can repair or rebuild your home by setting your insurance coverage requirements high enough in the event of a catastrophe.
Catastrophic Events in Louisiana:
- Number of federally declared disasters in LA: 90 since 1953
- Most common reasons for disasters in LA: hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in LA: 37
Residents of Sulfur, LA are most at risk for damage caused by the following perils:
- Floods and water damage
- Burglary and other property crimes
- Hurricanes and tropical storms
- Severe storms and lightning damage
Citizens near waterways like Lake Charles are most at risk for flood damage, although flash flooding can happen anywhere. Incidentally, an independent insurance agent can help you increase your coverage with a flood insurance policy.
Speak with your independent insurance agent for help in ensuring all your residences are properly covered.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries in Sulphur, LA?
The 2018 crime rate in Sulphur, LA was 353 per 100,000 people, which is 1.3 times higher than the US average. In the last five years, Sulphur has seen an increase in violent crime and a decrease in property crime.
The burglary rate in LA, and in Sulphur, in particular, is much higher than the national average, which also puts you paying a higher rate of homeowners insurance.
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 homes in the US: 376
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 homes in LA: 668.1
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 homes in Sulphur: 681.5
If your Sulphur, LA home is broken into, you may find some relief in knowing your homeowners insurance provides compensation for your damage, as well as, for any other property damage the robbers did to your home.
Home security systems are some of the most effective theft prevention devices around, and many insurance firms offer deductions to customers who have security systems installed in their homes.
An independent insurance agent can aid you in obtaining all the potential discounts for which you may qualify.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover a Second Home or Vacation Home in Sulphur, LA?
If you own a vacation home near Lake Charles or you have a second home nearby in Vinton, LA, if you are among the Sulphur, LA residents who own more than one home, you will want to cover all your residences with a suitable homeowners insurance policy.
If you do not continuously live in your second home or vacation property, you will normally have additional risks that insurance companies may consider, which sometimes means that specialized insurance products may be required.
- Second homes occupied by renters have a higher liability and property damage risk. These houses require coverage options offered by landlord insurance.
- Vacation homes left vacant for long periods have an increased risk of burglaries and property damage. Vacant home insurance may be required while the house is unoccupied.
An independent insurance agent can help you find the coverage you need for all your residential properties and help you find the most cost-effective policies to insure them.
Independent Insurance Agents in Sulphur, LA Are Ready to Help You
An effortless way to find a good homeowners policy is to work with an independent insurance agent. These professionals go to work for you, not for a specific insurance company. This allows you to make sure you are getting reliable information as you shop for the homeowners insurance coverage options you need for your Sulphur, LA home.
Independent insurance agents in Sulphur, LA, are excited to help. Contact an independent insurance agent near you.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.