Even the most careful drivers can sometimes get in accidents. That is why Maryland vehicle owners are required to have car insurance. From fender benders on Annapolis Road to multi-car collisions on the John Hanson Highway, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from facing large financial losses in the wake of an accident. Finding the best auto insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent. Agents in Bowie can provide you with a variety of car insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing a competitively priced policy.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Bowie, Maryland?
Maryland is the 11th most expensive state for car insurance. The average car insurance rate in this state is significantly higher than the national average, and in Bowie, the average cost is even higher. This makes shopping around for the best rate especially important.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Maryland average annual car insurance cost: $1,590
- Bowie average annual car insurance cost: $1,605
Of course, the figures above can only give you an estimate of how much you might be expected to pay. Car insurance costs can vary significantly from one driver to the next because they are calculated according to several different considerations. Examples of factors that can influence costs include:
- The make, model, year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, driving record, and credit score
- Whether you own or rent your residence
- The estimated number of miles you drive each month
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
- Whether you qualify for any available discounts such as a good driver discount
Because every insurance company has a different way of calculating rates, comparison shopping can save you money. An independent agent in Bowie can help you easily obtain and compare a selection of competitively priced car insurance quotes.
Maryland Auto Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 30/60/15; coverage up to $60,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $30,000 for one individual; and $15,000 coverage for property damage.
A minimum coverage policy is your least expensive option, but it is not necessarily the best choice. Although Maryland’s minimum coverage amounts are high enough to cover you in the case of most collisions, a major accident — especially one that involves serious injuries —can easily exceed these limits. In that case, you would be responsible for making up the difference out of pocket. That is why many Bowie vehicle owners choose to purchase car insurance with higher-than-required liability insurance limits. Some people also purchase an umbrella insurance policy to get even more liability coverage. An independent agent can help you find the liability coverage you want at the most affordable price.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Maryland
If you are caught driving without car insurance in Maryland, you can lose your plates and registration, be hit with expensive fines and fees, and may even face jail time. Despite this, more than one out of every ten drivers you are sharing the roads within this state is operating an uninsured vehicle.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 13%
- How many Maryland drivers are uninsured? 12.4%.
If you are in an accident that is the fault of an uninsured driver, that person is required to pay for the resultant damage and any necessary medical treatment. Unfortunately, it can be very difficult and time-consuming to collect this reimbursement. Uninsured motorist insurance eliminates this risk so you can be sure you will get the compensation you deserve. Uninsured motorist insurance is optional in many states, but it is required in Maryland. It covers your damage and injuries if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Your insurance company will then take on the challenge of collecting the owed funds from that at-fault driver and will absorb the costs if they are unsuccessful.
Number of Auto Thefts in Bowie, MD
The auto theft rate in Maryland is higher than the national average, but in Bowie, the risk is significantly lower. There are about 60 vehicles stolen in this city each year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.28
- Maryland auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.0
- Bowie auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.79
Comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance can compensate you if your car is stolen. This insurance is optional, but most lenders will require you to carry it until your auto loan is paid in full. Despite the low theft rate in Bowie, comprehensive insurance can be quite beneficial. It covers more than just auto theft. It also provides compensation for a wide range of non-collision damage such as that caused by falling objects, floods, structure fires, and property crimes.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
As a vehicle owner in Bowie, you can turn to a local independent insurance agent for help when you are looking for the best car insurance. These agents are free to work with a variety of insurance providers to help you find the most reliable and affordable policy.
Find an agent in or near Bowie to learn more. You can start comparing customized auto insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.