From fender benders on Pennsylvania Avenue to multi-car collisions on the Maryland Veterans Memorial Highway, accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone – even the most experienced drivers. Fortunately, a reliable car insurance policy can shield you from facing a large financial loss because of a collision. If you own a vehicle in Hagerstown, you are required by Maryland state law to have auto insurance. A local independent insurance agent can help you find the best and most affordable car insurance policy to meet your coverage needs.
Maryland Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 30/60/15; coverage up to $60,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $30,000 for one individual; and $15,000 coverage for property damage.
Maryland’s minimum coverage requirements are usually high enough to cover minor accidents. However, a serious collision that results in extensive injuries or property damage can easily exceed the limits of a minimum-coverage policy. If you do not have enough insurance to cover the costs, you will be required to make up the difference out of pocket. That is why some Hagerstown drivers choose to purchase liability coverage in amounts that are much higher than the state requires. If you have a lot of assets you wish to protect, an umbrella insurance policy can further boost your liability coverage. Your independent agent can help you determine how much liability coverage you can reasonably afford.
How Much Does Auto Insurance Cost in Hagerstown, Maryland?
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Maryland average cost per year: $1,590
- Hagerstown average cost per year: $1,190
Maryland is the 11th most expensive state for auto insurance. The average rate in this state is higher than the national average, but in Hagerstown, the average rate is lower. This is good news if you are in the market for an affordable car insurance policy. Auto insurance rates vary significantly from one driver to the next. This is because costs are calculated on an individual basis according to several factors such as:
- Your car’s make, model, and year
- Your age, driving history, and credit score
- The approximate number of miles you drive each year
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- Whether you are bundling your auto insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance
- Whether you qualify for discounts such as a good student discount or a good driver discount
Every insurance company has a different formula for calculating costs. Comparing rates enables you to find the policy that is offered at the best price. Independent agents in Hagerstown make comparison shopping easy by obtaining a variety of customized car insurance quotes for you.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Maryland
Driving without insurance in Maryland is illegal. If you are caught doing so, you can be fined and have your plates and license revoked. You could even face jail time if you are a repeat offender. Despite this, one in ten drivers in this state is uninsured.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 13%.
- How many Maryland drivers are uninsured? 12.4%.
If an uninsured driver causes a collision with your vehicle, that person is expected to pay for your resultant damage and any necessary medical treatment. Unfortunately, collecting this money on your own can be extremely time-consuming and difficult. That is why uninsured motorist insurance was created. Though it is optional in many states, uninsured motorist insurance is required in the state of Maryland. This insurance ensures that you will have coverage for your damage and medical treatment if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Number of Auto Thefts in Hagerstown, MD
The auto theft rate in Maryland is higher than the national average, but it is lower in Hagerstown. Of course, this does not mean the risk does not exist. There are about 100 car thefts reported in this city every year.
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.28
- Maryland number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.0
- Hagerstown number of auto thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.77
You cannot be compensated for a stolen vehicle unless your car insurance includes comprehensive insurance. This optional coverage is often required by lenders until your car is paid in full. Also called “other than collision” insurance, comprehensive coverage compensates you for loss or damage caused by falling objects, floods, fires, and property crimes.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
An independent agent can be a great resource when you are shopping for insurance. These agents can explain your various options, answer insurance-related questions, and provide you with a variety of customized quotes to review and compare. That way, you can choose the best policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs.
Contact an independent insurance agent in or near Hagerstown to get started in your search for the right car insurance policy.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.