From fender benders on Hungerford Drive to multi-car collisions on the Washington National Pike, accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone —even to the most experienced drivers. Fortunately, a dependable car insurance policy can shield Rockville drivers from the expensive costs associated with vehicle collisions. An independent insurance agent with an office in or near Rockville can help you find the best and most affordable auto insurance policy to meet your coverage needs.
Maryland Car Insurance Requirements
The state of Maryland requires resident vehicle owners to carry car insurance that meets or exceeds the following:
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 30/60/15; coverage up to $60,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $30,000 for one individual; and $15,000 coverage for property damage.
While this may seem like a lot of coverage, if you just purchase a basic minimum-coverage policy, you may find you do not have enough insurance to handle a serious collision. If the costs for which you are responsible exceed your coverage limits, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket. That is why many Rockville drivers choose to purchase liability coverage in amounts that are much higher than the state requires. Those who want even more liability coverage than their car insurance will allow often also purchase umbrella insurance. An independent agent can help you determine how much coverage you can reasonably afford.
How Much Does Auto Insurance Cost in Rockville, Maryland?
Maryland is the 11th most expensive state for auto insurance. The average cost of car insurance in this state is higher than the national average, and in Rockville, the average rate is even higher. This makes shopping around for the best rate especially important.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Maryland average cost per year: $1,590
- Rockville average cost per year: $1,824
Of course, your actual rate may be significantly higher or lower than $1,824. Every insurance company you contact will provide you with a different quote because costs are calculated individually according to a number of factors such as:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, and credit score
- The amount of your deductible, and how much liability insurance you are purchasing
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The auto theft and accident rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your auto insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance
- Whether you qualify for discounts such as a good driver discount
Independent agents in Rockville make comparison shopping easy by obtaining a selection of customized car insurance quotes on your behalf.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Maryland
If you are in an accident that is caused by an uninsured driver, that person is required to pay for your resultant damage and injuries. Unfortunately, collecting this money can be extremely time-consuming and difficult unless you have uninsured motorist insurance. Although it is optional in many states, uninsured motorist insurance is required in the state of Maryland.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 13%.
- How many Maryland drivers are uninsured? 12.4%.
Driving without insurance in Maryland is illegal, but more than one in ten motorists on the roads in this state are uninsured. If caught operating an uninsured vehicle, these drivers can be fined, have their plates and registration revoked, and even potentially face jail time. Uninsured motorist insurance ensures that you will have the coverage you need if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Your insurance company will cover your costs upfront and will then absorb the costs if they cannot collect reimbursement from the at-fault driver.
Number of Auto Thefts in Rockville, MD
While the auto theft rate in Rockville is relatively low, this does not mean that the risk does not exist. There are about 100 vehicles stolen in this city each year.
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.28
- Maryland number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 3.0
- Rockville number of auto thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 0.97
You must have comprehensive insurance included in your auto insurance policy in order to be reimbursed for your losses due to auto theft. This coverage is often required by lenders until your car is paid in full, but once the vehicle is paid off, this coverage is optional. Also referred to as “other than collision” insurance, comprehensive coverage can cover you against more than just car theft. It also covers loss or damage caused by several other non-collision hazards such as falling objects, floods, structure fires, and vandalism.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
An independent agent can be a great resource for information when you are shopping for car insurance. These insurance professionals can explain your various coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and provide you with a selection of auto insurance quotes. That way you can select the policy that is offered at the best price.
Contact an independent insurance agent in or near Rockville to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.