Bethesda, MD is an unincorporated area just northwest of Washington, DC. The community has around 63,000 residents. No matter where you live, your home can be impacted by fire, severe weather, and even break-ins or vandalism. The best way to protect your Bethesda home from these types of unforeseen events is to purchase a responsive and reliable home insurance policy. Where can you find an affordable policy with the coverage you need? An independent insurance agent can help you obtain the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your unique needs.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Bethesda, MD
Maryland is the 33rd most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average cost of homeowners coverage in Bethesda is higher than average for Maryland, and higher than the national average, as well.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Maryland average yearly premium: $1,037
- Bethesda average yearly premium: $1,301
When you receive quotes for homeowners insurance, expect your premiums to be more or less than average. Everyone’s homeowners insurance rates are a little different because insurance costs are based on your individual home’s characteristics and the amount of coverage you need. The type of home you have (one-story, townhome, two-story, etc.), as well as its age, size, and value, are the first characteristics that insurance companies use to determine your home insurance rates. They also consider the types of materials used in your home’s construction, as well as several other factors, such as:
- Your claims history and credit score
- Your coverage limits and the deductible that you choose
- The crime rate and weather risks in your city or ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance
The best way to make sure you are getting the best price is to shop around. An independent insurance agent can get quotes from multiple insurance companies, so you can compare costs and coverage and make the best choice for your needs and budget.
Burglary Rate in Bethesda, MD
The burglary rate in Maryland is lower than the national average, and in Bethesda, the burglary rate is even lower.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Maryland: 3.13
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Bethesda: 2.32
This is great news for residents of Bethesda, but no matter where you live, it is important to take precautions to protect your home from break-ins, theft, and vandalism. And if you do experience a property crime, you need home insurance to reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage caused by the criminal.
A local independent agent can help you be certain that your home and your possessions are properly insured. If you have items like expensive jewelry, special collections, or family heirlooms, ask your agent about adding special endorsements or riders to ensure these items have appropriate coverage. Be sure to tell your agent if you have a home security system. While security systems are among the best deterrents for burglars, having one will also help you save some money on your home insurance. Most insurance companies offer discounts to homeowners with burglar alarms.
Number of Disasters in Maryland
- Number of declared disasters in Maryland: 36
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Maryland: 10
- Average amount of property damage per year in Maryland: $836,597,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Homeowners insurance protects you from the financial consequences of most property losses you could experience in Bethesda. From a small kitchen fire to a disaster like a hurricane, a reliable home insurance policy will help reimburse you for repair costs, lost and damaged possessions, and even living expenses if you can’t live at home while you make repairs. Floods and hurricanes have been the most prevalent reasons for declared disasters in Maryland. And the state is not immune to snowstorms, heavy rains, or hailstorms, either.
It’s important to keep in mind that while damage caused by hurricane wind and rain is covered by a home insurance policy, damage caused by flooding is not. Maryland residents should consider purchasing separate flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). A local independent insurance agent can help guide you.
Liability Insurance for Bethesda Homeowners
Liability insurance is one of the most important parts of any homeowners policy. It protects you when you or a family member is sued for some kind of negligence. This can happen when someone is injured on your property, or even if you or a family member cause some kind of damage or injury to someone else. Without insurance protection, a lawsuit could devastate your finances. But the liability insurance portion of your homeowners policy takes the worry away. It covers court costs, legal fees, and even settlements or judgments levied against you if you are sued. Consider these examples of typical sources of lawsuits and liability claims:
- A guest in your home is seriously injured in an accident because of your negligence.
- Your child or pet causes injuries or property damage to a neighbor.
- You are accused of libel or slander because of something you posted online.
Talk to your independent agent to learn how an umbrella policy can offer even more liability coverage than your home insurance policy will allow. An umbrella policy supplements the liability coverage in both your home and auto insurance policies.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
If your primary residence is in Bethesda, but you own a second home or a vacation home on Chesapeake Bay or elsewhere, you have special insurance considerations. Whether you own a vacation home on the water or rental property in the city, your second home needs sufficient insurance protection. You might think it’s easier to insure a second home, but in fact, homes that do not serve as a primary residence actually have additional risks.
- Rental property owners have high liability risks. Landlord insurance can help protect you from the costs of liability claims and lawsuits.
- Thieves and vandals often target homes that are empty for long periods. What’s more, water damage, ice damage, and fires are more common in homes that are only occupied seasonally. Talk to an independent agent to see if vacant home insurance can help in your situation.
A local independent agent can help you find appropriate policies to cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find a reliable and affordable homeowners insurance policy is by contacting a local independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so you can be sure that you are receiving trustworthy guidance and the coverage you need.
Contact an agent in or near Bethesda to start comparing customized, competitively priced home insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.