The second-largest city in Maryland, Frederick is home to more than 71,000 people. With its close proximity to both Baltimore and Washington D.C., this cultural city has much to offer its residents. If you are among the many homeowners in Frederick, you will want to be certain that your house is insured by a reliable and responsive home insurance company. Independent insurance agents can help you obtain the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Frederick home. Find an agent near you to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Frederick, Maryland
Maryland is the 32nd most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average cost in this state is significantly lower than the national average, and in Frederick, it is even lower.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Maryland average yearly premium: $1,037
- Frederick average yearly premium: $975
You can expect your actual home insurance quotes to be different from the average Frederick rate above. This is because insurance costs are calculated individually according to a number of factors, which may include:
- The size, age, and value of your house and the materials used in its construction
- The age of your roof
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your insurance with other coverage like car insurance, life insurance or business insurance policy
Each insurance company has its own way of computing rates, so comparing a variety of quotes allows you to choose the home insurance policy that offers the best value for your hard-earned money. Independent agents in Frederick make comparison shopping easy.
Burglary Rate in Frederick, MD
The burglary rate in Maryland is lower than the national rate, and in Frederick, the rate is even lower. Of course, this does not mean that the risk is nonexistent. Residents of this city report more than 200 burglaries every year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Maryland: 3.13
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Frederick: 3.05
Taking precautionary steps can lower your chances of a burglary. Installing a burglar alarm in your home is one of the best ways to deter a thief who is targeting your property. This is why many homeowners insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have home security systems. Fortunately, if your house is broken into, your home insurance can reimburse you for your losses and any damage the burglar may have caused. You will want to be sure that your most valued possessions, such as heirlooms and fine art, are properly insured. Sometimes, this requires you to purchase special endorsements or riders. Talk to your agent to learn more.
Number of Disasters in Maryland
- Number of declared disasters in Maryland: 36
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Maryland: 10
- Average amount of property damage per year in Maryland: $836,597,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a resident of Frederick. This includes everything from uncontrolled kitchen fires to severe weather events, like hurricanes. A local independent agent can help you review your property coverage limits so you can be sure that they are high enough. Keep in mind that even though your home insurance may cover hurricane damage, it does not cover flood damage—even if the flooding is caused by a hurricane. Your independent agent can ensure that you are covered against this risk by helping you secure a supplementary flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Liability Insurance for Frederick Homeowners
Liability lawsuits can be expensive, and without insurance protection, could potentially cause you to lose your house. That is why your homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability coverage. Liability insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal defense fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage may help you include:
- If a visitor on your property is seriously injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence on your part
- If your child or pet causes someone outside your household to suffer injuries or property damage
- If someone accuses you of libel or slander because of something you posted on Facebook
Many residents of Frederick have a lot to lose. If you wish to have more liability coverage than your home insurance policy can provide, you can supplement your coverage with an umbrella insurance policy. Your independent agent can further explain your liability insurance options.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Some Frederick residents own more than one home. Maybe you have a vacation home in Florida, or perhaps you rent out a house to students at Mount St. Mary’s University. Either way, you will need to cover all of your houses with appropriate policies. A property that is not your primary home has additional risk factors and may need specialized home insurance coverage.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks. If you are renting out a house, the property will need to be covered by a landlord insurance policy.
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for several months out of the year have an increased risk of property damage and may need to be covered by vacant home insurance.
Your local independent agent can help you find appropriate and reasonably priced policies to cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find a reliable, yet affordable, homeowners insurance policy is by contacting a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy advice and are purchasing the coverage you need at a competitive rate. Independent agents in Frederick are ready to help.
Contact an agent near you to learn more and start comparing customized home insurance quotes.