The county seat of Maryland’s Wicomico County, Salisbury is home to nearly 33,000 people. Residents are attracted to this city because of its abundance of affordable housing, low unemployment rate, and many festivals commemorating local culture, arts, and music. If you own a house in Salisbury, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a suitable home insurance policy. Independent insurance agents can help you obtain the best and most affordable coverage for your Salisbury home. Find an agent near you to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Salisbury, MD
Maryland is the 32nd most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average cost in this state is significantly lower than the national average, and in Salisbury, it is even lower.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Maryland average yearly premium: $1,037
- Salisbury average yearly premium: $849
You can expect your actual home insurance cost to be different from the average Salisbury rate shown above. This is because insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to a number of factors. These may include:
- The size, age, and value of your house and the materials used in its construction
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
- The burglary rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance, life insurance or business insurance
Each insurance company has its own way of computing rates, so comparing a variety of quotes allows you to choose the home insurance policy that offers the best value. Independent agents in Salisbury make comparison shopping easy.
Burglary Rate in Salisbury, MD
The burglary rate in Maryland is lower than the national rate, but in Salisbury, the risk is rather high. Residents of this city report about 300 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Maryland: 3.13
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Salisbury: 7.91
Taking precautionary steps can lower your risk of a burglary. Burglar alarms are among the best theft deterrents. That is why many homeowners insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have home security systems installed in their houses. If your house is broken into, your home insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as any damage the burglar may have caused. Your independent agent can help you be certain that your most valued possessions are properly insured. Sometimes, you will need to purchase special endorsements or riders to cover things like collections or fine art.
Number of Disasters in Maryland
- Number of declared disasters in Maryland: 36
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Maryland: 10
- Average amount of property damage per year in Maryland: $836,597,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a resident of Salisbury. This includes everything from accidental kitchen fires to severe weather events like hurricanes. Keep in mind, however, that even though your home insurance may cover hurricane damage, it does not cover flood damage—even if the flood is the direct result of a hurricane. Your local agent can ensure that you are covered against this risk by helping you secure a supplementary flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Liability Insurance for Salisbury, MD Homeowners
Without insurance protection, a liability lawsuit could potentially cause you to lose your house. That is why your homeowners insurance also provides you with liability coverage. This personal liability insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal defense fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage may help you include:
- If a visitor to your home is seriously injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence on your part.
- If your child or pet causes injuries or property damage to someone outside of your household.
- If someone accuses you of libel or slander because of something you posted online.
If you wish to have more liability coverage than your home insurance policy can provide, you can supplement your coverage with an umbrella insurance policy. Your independent agent can help you find the coverage you want at an affordable price.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Some Salisbury residents own more than one home. Maybe you have a vacation home in the mountains, or perhaps you rent out a house to students at Salisbury University. Either way, you will need to cover all of your properties with appropriate home insurance policies. A house that is not your primary home has additional risk factors and may need specialized home insurance coverage.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks. If you are renting out a house, the property will need to be covered by landlord insurance.
- Vacation homes that are left uninhabited and unattended for several months out of the year have an increased risk of property damage. These houses may need to be covered by vacant home insurance.
Your local independent agent can help you find appropriate policies to cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find a reliable and affordable homeowners insurance policy is by contacting a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so you can be sure that you are receiving trustworthy advice and that you are buying the coverage you need at a competitive rate. Independent agents in Salisbury are ready to help.
Contact an agent near you to start comparing customized, competitively priced home insurance quotes.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.