This small town of Westminster, MD, has 18,640 residents. If you're one of them, you might need coverage for your personal assets. Homeowners insurance can protect more than you think.
Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can help with coverage and premium options that won't break the bank. They have access to several carriers so that you have choices. Connect with a local expert for tailored quotes today.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover in Westminster, MD?
If you live in Westminster, MD, your home and members of your household need protection. Review your coverages with a trained professional, so your limits are accurate and sufficient. The majority of homeowners policies have the following coverages:
- Dwelling limit: Pays for the replacement or repair of your home itself when a covered claim occurs.
- Personal property: Pays for the replacement or repair of your personal belongings.
- Personal liability: Pays for claims for bodily injury, property damage, or slander against a household member.
- Additional living expenses: Pays for your temporary stay at another property when a claim makes your home uninhabitable.
- Medical payments: Pays for the first $1,000 - $10,000 of a medical expense when a third party gets injured on your property.
Here are a few examples of some of the most common risks that your homeowners policy in Westminster will cover against:
- Severe storms
- Theft and vandalism
Catastrophes/Common Disasters in the Area
When you want to avoid paying for a major catastrophe or disaster, being proactive with your insurance is necessary. In Maryland, Maryland, there 836,597,000 home insurance claims in 2019. Take a peek at the top exposures in Westminster, MD:
- Flooding and water damage
- Hurricanes and tropical storms
- Severe storms and lightning
- Burglary and other property crimes
Homeowners in Westminster should also be aware of some of the most recent weather-related statistics for Carroll County, where the city is located:
- The number of natural disasters: 17
- Major presidentially declared disasters: 12
- Emergencies declared: 5
Take a look at the top three causes of weather-related disasters in the county:
- Hurricanes: 5
- Floods: 4
- Snowstorms: 3
How Flood Insurance Can Help in Westminster, MD
Floods can occur at any moment, no matter what zone you are located in. The only way to have protection is by purchasing a separate flood insurance policy. Your primary homeowners insurance won't have coverage for a flood loss, like most may think.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Westminster, MD?
The cost of your Westminster homeowners insurance will vary. Prices depend on several moving parts, and carriers look at your specific risk factors when figuring your rates. Take a look at the things insurance companies use to determine your premiums:
- Where you live
- How many claims you've filed
- How new your house is
- How close you are to a fire department
- How close you are to a fire hydrant
- The materials of your home
- Your credit score
- If you have a pool, trampoline, or pet
- The square footage of your home
- How much it costs to replace your home
The state average for homeowners insurance premiums is slightly lower than the national average. Here's how it compares:
- National average: $1,211
- Maryland average: $1,037
There are a few ways in which homeowners can lower their rates even further. Here are some examples of common risk factors you can improve:
- Improving your credit score
- Filing fewer insurance claims
- Updating your roof, electrical, plumbing, or heating
Common Liabilities for Homeowners in Westminster, MD
Liability coverage is one of the primary limits on your personal and commercial insurance policies. When a loss occurs, you'll have two avenues that will provide insurance for a liability claim. Take a peek at the most common ways to obtain liability protection:
- Your homeowners policy
- Umbrella insurance
Your homeowners policy will be the first line of defense when it comes to a substantial liability loss. Next, your umbrella insurance will apply once your underlying coverages have been exhausted. Fortunately, umbrella insurance is a relatively inexpensive policy to obtain, and limits start at $1,000,000.
Property Crime Statistics for Homeowners in Westminster, MD
In Westminster, MD, property crimes happen just like anywhere else. Coverage is essential when you are a victim of one of these crimes. Your primary homeowners policy will provide protection for theft and vandalism. Take a look at the burglaries per 100,000 households below:
- National average: 376.00
- Maryland average: 312.60
- Westminster average: 353.60
How a Local Agent Can Help Find Insurance
If you're searching for a homeowners policy that is accurate and sufficient, consider using a local adviser. Several different types of coverages could be missed if you're not a licensed professional. Your personal assets will be on the line without proper insurance for your Westminster, MD, property.
An independent insurance agent can help with policy and premium options that are affordable. They do the shopping for you so that you can save time and money. Connect with an expert on TrustedChoice to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.