Although Boston has been called “America’s Walking City,” the outlying areas that make up Greater Boston are commuting regions. Even within the heart of the city, Boston’s Commonwealth Avenue was once home to many auto dealers. Street names like Buick Street and Boston University’s Packard Building reflect the long history Boston has with vehicles.
If you're one of the millions of drivers here, you may want to consider Boston, MA car insurance. But how do you know which policies are right for you? There is a way to find affordable Boston auto insurance quotes: contact an independent insurance agent. Your agent can compare policies and quotes from multiple insurance companies to find the right coverage for you.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Costs
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Massachusetts average cost per year: $1,460
- 16th most expensive premiums in the US
Finding Affordable Boston Car Insurance Quotes
Although Boston car insurance rates aren’t much higher than the national average, the biggest factors that influence your rate are personal. Driving history is a big factor because it’s evidence of just how many risks you take on the road, or at least that’s how insurance companies approach your record. Other factors include things like your age, the type of car you drive and where you live.
If you live in a neighborhood that is notorious for car thefts, you may be charged higher insurance rates. Teenagers and first-time drivers will usually pay more because of inexperience. None of these factors that may be out of your control will prevent you from finding affordable car insurance if you know where to look. An agent can provide you with quick, free quotes to start and can delve deeper to find discounts for you.
How Uninsured Drivers Affect Your Premiums
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- Massachusetts uninsured motorists: 3.9%
- Massachusetts average vehicle repair cost: $2,297
The percentage of Massachusetts drivers without required coverage is considerably lower than the national average, but there is always a chance that you will be involved in an accident where the at-fault driver doesn't have insurance. Your uninsured motorist coverage provides the extra security and peace of mind that comes from knowing that damages will be covered if an at-fault driver is uninsured or doesn't have the money to pay compensation.
Car Theft in Massachusetts
- National vehicle thefts (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.94
- Massachusetts vehicle thefts (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 1.91
While the Massachusetts vehicle theft rate is considerably below the national rate, there is always the chance that your vehicle could be stolen. Your risk of this type of loss can be decreased by a few common-sense measures. Always lock your car and park it in secure or well-lit areas whenever possible. You can also protect your car from theft with a comprehensive auto policy, as well as improvements in security like anti-theft devices or GPS.
What's the Right Amount of Boston Car Insurance?
To determine the right amount of coverage, it’s best to start with the legal requirements.
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Uninsured motorist: required
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): required
- Minimum liability limits: 20/40/5
- Coverage up to $40,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $20,000 for one individual, and $5,000 coverage for property damage
The penalties for not having these liability limits are fines of $500 to $5,000 dollars and a possible jail term of up to one year. Of course, just buying the legal minimum may not offset the costs of a serious accident. Some insurance experts recommend the following levels of coverage:
- Bodily injury liability per person: $100,000
- Bodily injury liability per accident: $300,000
- Property damage liability: $50,000
- Uninsured/ underinsured motorist bodily injury per person: $100,000
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury per accident: $300,000
- Personal Injury Protection: $8,000
These amounts are best for a basic protective policy, but depending on your personal circumstances, you may need more or less coverage. When you work with an independent agent, your personal risks and unique needs are taken into consideration when searching for a Boston car insurance policy.
Contact an agent for personalized insurance help.