As with any city, driving in Falmouth has its risks. That’s why there’s car insurance. From fender benders in the parking lot at the local Stop & Shop to serious collisions while leaving town on Route 28, a solid auto insurance policy can prevent you from facing large financial losses as a result.
Independent insurance agents in Falmouth make it easy to find the best policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. For answers to your insurance-related questions, and to start comparing a selection of customized car insurance quotes, contact an insurance agent with an office near you.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Falmouth, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national average. Taking the time to shop around and compare rates from multiple insurers can potentially save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
The quotes you get from insurance companies will differ, not just from these average rates, but also from each other. This is because each insurance company has its own way of assessing risk and assigning rates. Your quoted costs will be based on a number of factors such as:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle(you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
If you are bundling your car insurance with other coverage like homeowners insurance or renters insurance, you can often qualify for significant discounts on each of your policies. You may also be entitled to other potential discounts such as if you have a safe driving record or are a student with good grades.
Let a local independent insurance agent help you compare prices and find all the discounts for which you qualify so that you can get all the coverage you need at the lowest offered price.
What Does Falmouth Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance policies are a mixture of required and optional coverage. As a resident of Falmouth, your policy must meet or exceed the state’s minimum coverage requirements.
The state of Massachusetts requires drivers to carry liability insurance, uninsured motorist insurance, and personal injury protection insurance (PIP). However, if you are still paying for your car, your lender will probably require you to also carry comprehensive and collision insurance as well.
You can expect your insurance provider to offer the following types of coverage:
- Liability insurance (Required): This covers other people’s injuries and damage if you cause an accident. Your policy must include:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $5,000 per accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) (Required): This pays for medical expenses for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. Your policy must include at least $8,000 in personal injury protection insurance.
- Uninsured motorist insurance (Required): This pays for otherwise non-covered damage and injuries you may suffer if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Your policy must include bodily injury coverage of at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.
- Collision and comprehensive insurance (Partially optional): Both cover damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault. Though optional by law, these coverage types are often required by lenders until your car is paid off and by dealerships if you have your vehicle on a lease.
- Roadside assistance and towing (Optional): This pays for necessary assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Rental reimbursement coverage (Optional): This pays for the cost of renting a replacement vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to your insurance agent for help determining how much liability coverage you can reasonably afford and to discuss which coverage options may be right for you.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Falmouth?
Driving without insurance is illegal in Massachusetts. If caught, uninsured drivers can face the following:
- A civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI) conviction on their record
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- The loss of their driver’s license for 60 days to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
- Incarceration for up to one year
This state has some of the toughest penalties for uninsured driving in the nation. It should therefore come as no surprise that it also has one of the lowest percentages of uninsured drivers.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
Because you have uninsured motorist insurance in your car insurance policy, you can rest assured that if an uninsured driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle, you will receive the compensation you are due without needing to go through expensive lawyers or time-consuming lawsuits.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Falmouth?
The auto theft rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national average, and in Falmouth, the rate is even lower. This is not to say the risk does not exists. Residents of this city report about 25 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.18
- Falmouth auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.68
In order for you to be reimbursed for an auto theft, your car insurance policy must include comprehensive coverage. This optional coverage can also cover a wide range of non-collision damage such as that caused by hail, floods, garage fires, and falling objects.
If you are still paying for your car or are leasing it, you probably already have comprehensive coverage. If not, talk to your insurance agent to learn how much it will cost you to add this useful “other than collision” coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Falmouth, MA?
Independent insurance agents can be extremely helpful when you are looking for the best auto policy in Falmouth. These insurance professionals can explain your many coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you review offerings from multiple providers.
Discover the many benefits of working with an independent agent. Find an insurance agent with an office near you, and you can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.