Living outside of the Boston area has its benefits for lower cost living, no doubt. But if you live in Taunton, MA, you’ll find that it’s almost a necessity to have a car to get around. Under state law, that means that you need car insurance, too. The choices and requirements for the best insurance for your car and your lifestyle are often complicated. That’s why your Independent Insurance Agent is so vital to finding the right Taunton auto insurance. Your agent will get to know your needs and find the right coverage for your vehicle at the best possible price by obtaining multiple quotes from many different insurance agencies. You can then compare and select for yourself and drive with confidence.
It’s important to know your options because Massachusetts is an expensive place to insure a car. The national average for car insurance in recent years was $1,311, but in the Bay State an average driver spent $1,460. There was $6.5 million in losses through the state that year, which explains why insurance is so high. There are many things you can do to keep your car insurance affordable even against this backdrop if you know what you are buying. Your car insurance is based on your own situation, including the following:
- Your coverage and deductibles - How much are you covered for in any claim?
- Your vehicle - A more expensive car to repair costs more to insure.
- The ZIP code where you live - How much vandalism has there been in your neighborhood?
- Your age, sex, and marital status - Single males under 25 are the highest risk.
- The number of miles you drive - Do you drive into Boston? Or stay local?
- Your driving record - Are you ticket- and accident-free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
In the event of a crash, there is a potential for bills that exceed the value of your car if you are injured. You have to take into account the cost of other damage and medical bills, which are nearly unlimited in potential cost. As expensive as it is, the right coverage is critical to not being stuck in a terrible situation.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
State law requires every driver in Massachusetts to have basic liability insurance. You may choose more coverage, but all insurance policies start with the legal mandate. Your requirements and options are:
- Bodily Injury Liability: State law requires a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: The state requires a minimum of $5,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $5,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Coverage against uninsured drivers is required in Massachusetts as well.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is coverage that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Comprehensive coverage is the right choice for any driver who is totally dependent on having a car every day. It covers you for any damage, including hailstorms and theft. It may even include roadside assistance and rental car coverage while your car is in the shop. If you can never be stuck by the side of the road, a full comprehensive policy is right for you.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts
There are relatively few drivers in the Commonwealth who break the law and drive without insurance:
- Across the United States, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Massachusetts, 3.3% of all drivers have no insurance.
If you are in an accident with a driver who has no insurance, your policy has to cover you. Since your policy is required by state law to include coverage for uninsured motorists, you don’t have too much to worry about.
Number of Auto Thefts in Massachusetts
The state has a relatively low rate of auto theft, but it runs a bit higher around Taunton. You may want to have a comprehensive policy even on an older car just to protect yourself if you become the victim of auto theft. The figures are as follows:
- Nationally, 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars were stolen in recent years.
- In Massachusetts, the rate was 1.91 out of every 1,000 cars in recent years.
You also can take precautions against theft, such as using your car alarm and always parking somewhere that is well-lit or has a lot of people around at all times. The cost of your insurance may be lower if you have a garage. Some makes and models are targeted more heavily by thieves, so ask your agent if you have to be especially careful or if you are considering buying a new car.
Find a Great Taunton Car Insurance Policy
With all of the choices and requirements for car insurance, it’s hard to find the right policy for your car and your lifestyle on your own. Talk to an Independent Insurance Agent about your options so that they can find you the quote that fits your needs and is affordable with your budget.