If you own a vehicle in Tewksbury, you are required by Massachusetts state law to have car insurance. From fender benders on Main Street to serious collisions on the Blue Star Memorial Highway, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from large financial losses in the wake of a collision.
Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent agent. These agents can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing great coverage at a competitive price. Find an insurance agent in or near Tewksbury to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Tewksbury, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national rate. Shopping around for the best price has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
Of course, rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so you can expect your actual quoted rates to differ from the city’s average. Car insurance costs are calculated individually according to several considerations. Some things that can influence your rate include:
- The make, model, trim, and year of every vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- Whether you are including any offered coverage options
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
When it comes to car insurance, experience matters. You can expect a senior at Tewksbury Memorial High School to be charged much higher rates than a 45-year-old hospital administrator who has a clean driving record.
Requesting and comparing rates from a variety of insurance companies lets you be sure you are getting your policy at a competitive price. Independent insurance agents can do the comparison shopping for you.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Tewksbury?
Liability insurance is designed to cover damage and injuries sustained by other people if you cause an accident. PIP insurance is designed to cover your own injuries sustained in a collision, regardless of fault. Uninsured motorist coverage will offer a line of defense if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Your car insurance policy must have, at a minimum, the following amounts of coverage:
- $20,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $40,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $5,000 in property damage liability per accident
- $8,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) insurance
Although a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it is not always the best choice. If you cause a serious crash and your insurance limits are too low to cover your liabilities, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket.
That is why many Tewksbury residents purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than the state of Massachusetts requires. Adding umbrella insurance enables you to boost your coverage even higher.
Talk to your local insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to obtain different levels of coverage.
What Else Can Tewksbury Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the coverage that is required by state law, car insurance companies will give you the option of including any or all of the following coverage options in your auto insurance policy:
- Comprehensive insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged by a non-collision event such as a flood, fire, or falling object. (This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Collision insurance: This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. (This may be required by your lender if you are still paying for your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing it.)
- Gap insurance: This can bridge the gap between what you currently owe for your vehicle and what your vehicle is worth if the vehicle is totaled. This coverage can be particularly beneficial if you own a rapidly depreciating new car.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This can pay for assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Rental reimbursement insurance: This can pay for the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to an insurance agent in Tewksbury to learn more about these coverage options and for help determining which, if any, are a good fit for you.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Tewksbury?
Driving without insurance in Massachusetts is illegal. If you are caught, you will be charged with a civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI), which comes with some harsh penalties.
You can find yourself facing:
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- Up to one year in jail
- The loss of your driver’s license for 60 days to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
Given the tough penalties in this state, it is not surprising that the percentage of uninsured drivers in Massachusetts is significantly lower than the national average. Let’s look at some numbers.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
Uninsured motorist insurance, which is required in this state, ensures that if you are injured in an accident with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver, you can receive compensation for any medical costs that are not covered by PIP.
Your insurance company will then take on the task of pursuing legal action against the uninsured or underinsured driver who hit you and will absorb the losses if they are unsuccessful.
Does Tewksbury Car Insurance Cover against Vehicle Thefts?
The auto theft rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national rate, and in Tewksbury, the rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report about 20 car thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.28
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.96
- Tewksbury, MA auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.62
You should be aware that you cannot be compensated for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance.
Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage to your car due to a variety of other non-collision hazards. Talk to your insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to add comprehensive coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Tewksbury, MA?
As a vehicle owner in Tewksbury, you can turn to an independent agent for help when you are looking for an auto insurance policy that meets your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents are not tied to a single insurance company, so they can help you compare policies and rates from multiple providers.
Find an independent insurance agent with an office near you to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.